poor LT1 catfish

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
driving into work mmob, i look in the mirror and see a catfish closing fast. it doesn't strike me as odd though based on my normal drive in, lots of people speed. normally i travel 5mph over posted and today is no different. he's not "tailgating" so i figure he's really just late of something.

we get to the section that opens up to four lanes and i stay in the right lane, where slower traffic belongs. at this point i expect this guy to just blow on past and get on with whatever he's in a hurry to do.

wrong!

jumping out into the left lane he pulls up along side of me and slows down. (posted limit is 45 which puts me at about 50) figuring he may be making a left turn or something i don't give it much thought... until he revs the car a few quick times. loud exhaust but it may have just fallen off, idk they all sound awful to me.

suddenly i realize he's looking for some action. i smile, give him a thumbs up and shake my head no. really, i just want to get breakfast and go to work. racing isn't on my morning list of things to do. dude revs again and points forward... looking up i notice the light has turned yellow and there are no cars in front of us.

eh, what the hell.....

we slow to a stop and begin the painful wait. watching the side street lights i start bringing the rpm's up. the camaro driver is on the same program and now we're just waiting for the green. air temp is about 40* so i know i'll need to ease out of the hole, i hold the rpm's at about 1,800.

ding! light changes and we're off. i still spun just a bit and we're even for about 15' (+/-). once my tires were fully hooked i shove my foot all the way to the floor. we go from dead even to me by about a car at 70-ish.

i let out and start slowing down as the catfish flys past. i kind of though he would slow up and exchange thumbs up or something. most guys around here are cool about a loss... it's all for fun so why get pissed? nope, dude just drove off into the morning sun.

i guess taking a loss to a 7,000lb 4x4, quad cab diesel truck hurt his pride :-D

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
No, wasn't expecting that at all. It was worth reading it for the last sentence. lol That's definitely one of the best kill stories yet.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I thought the catfish were the 1998-2002 Camaros? Wasn't the last year of the LT1 1997?

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
I thought the catfish were the 1998-2002 Camaros? Wasn't the last year of the LT1 1997?

4th gen '93-'02

headlight change in '98 along with the LT1 getting dropped for the LS1.

edit:
i generally refer to ALL 4th gens as "catfish" even though the '98 and up have the larger mouth than earlier cars.

Last edited:

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Epic ending! All though I found it odd that you were only a car length ahead before you let out and that explains it haha!

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
Ah, that last sentence tho!

Wasn't expecting that last sentence. Lol.

No, wasn't expecting that at all. It was worth reading it for the last sentence. lol That's definitely one of the best kill stories yet.

Epic ending! All though I found it odd that you were only a car length ahead before you let out and that explains it haha!

Lol, nice kill sir.

wut! Nice!!!! hahahaha

glad i could entertain!

02 WIFE

Established Member
Good kill I didn't know 4th gen camaros were nicknamed catfish by you ford boys. Its cool if catfish is prepared right it can be good.

b_dike

Established Member
Nice kill op... Camaro drivers must really be getting desperate for a kill when they go picking 4x4 pickup trucks.

And still lose lol

fast ford brian

Established Member
I get more street races in my diesel than I do the Cobra lol . And man they do get pissed when all they see is tail lights !

Users who are viewing this thread