Pool install

TERMN8U

Established Member
Wondering if anyone here has done their own I ground pool install?
We’re looking to do a Roman 20’x40’ with an 8’ deep end.
I watched a lot of you tube videos, talked to an installer and have connections with concrete guys and a crew to dig the hole.
I also just found out today that one of our customers manufactures and sells pool kits.
I’m in Canada so To have one of these installed by a pool company is $60,000 for everything including tax. They would also not be able to have it finished until mid to late August. That kind of writes off this whole entire summer.
What do you guys think? Should I take on this task or leave it to the professionals?

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
What could go wrong?

Posts are mine and do not represent my employer. Actually, my posts are riddled with humor and sarcasm and are not to be taken as a representation of my thoughts, feelings, or ideas. Same goes for my "likes"

velocicaur

Established Member
Man, that is a huge pool. Nice!

I would go professional just for the warranty and to make sure it is done right. However much money you will save is not worth the headache imo.

We're a couple of days from June and you're still in the beginning stages/thought process of building a pool. I think it'll take a long time to put it all together and have it finished. It could very well take until August to finish it yourself.

TERMN8U

Established Member
I’m thinking your right. Won’t save enough time or money for the effort.
Oh well. Turtle pool it is for this year.... sigh.

5.2Leader

Established Member
I have had 3 pools built in the three house I have had. One $28,000, 2nd was $90K the works 22X38, 12’ deep due to a in ground 28’ water slide, spa that sat 12, 16’ waterfall, had 4 pumps to run it all, electric bill up the ass, the third one built myself subbed every out. Saved money but a pain in the ass. All pools are an extra electric bill until you move out, not to mention the water, chemicals or salt water upkeep if you choose. Next house no pool. Fun for the first few years after that just another chore.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TERMN8U

Established Member
I’m thinking your right. Won’t save enough time or money for the effort.
Oh well. Turtle pool it is for this year.... sigh.
I have had 3 pools built in the three house I have had. One $28,000, 2nd was $90K the works 22X38, 12’ deep due to a in ground 28’ water slide, spa that sat 12, 16’ waterfall, had 4 pumps to run it all, electric bill up the ass, the third one built myself subbed every out. Saved money but a pain in the ass. All pools are an extra electric bill until you move out, not to mention the water, chemicals or salt water upkeep if you choose. Next house no pool. Fun for the first few years after that just another chore.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
We had a 16 x 32 at our home previous to this one, but only for one season so it didn’t seem too bad.
Was looking into it and they offer a 24 x 60’ that would cost around $50,000 if I sub some and do some my self.
I would hate to get into a huge ****ing mess and wish I hadn’t started it though.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
90% of my homes expenses since I moved in 3+ years ago have been due to the pool. Literally replaced about everything you can except for the foundation.

Like I love having it but god damn is that shit expensive. And its easy to maintain, until you go out of town for a week and then it storms and blows leaves and tree branches into your pool, and you come back to it looking like a swamp. Or you pay $100 a month for someone to come by and put chlorine tabs in it

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I take it you are talking vinyl liner? I've walked several friends/relatives through it. It isn't that bad and you can save a TON of money.
20x40 is big. By todays standards it really considered HUGE and 8' deep is almost unheard of around here now.
Here pools are a 100% markup basically. Whatever the kit cost they double it and there's your price plus a little extra margin.
If you get a 60K quote then you should be able to realistically do it for 30K or less.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
90% of my homes expenses since I moved in 3+ years ago have been due to the pool. Literally replaced about everything you can except for the foundation.

Like I love having it but god damn is that shit expensive. And its easy to maintain, until you go out of town for a week and then it storms and blows leaves and tree branches into your pool, and you come back to it looking like a swamp. Or you pay $100 a month for someone to come by and put chlorine tabs in it

I'm so hoping to find a house here in FL WITHOUT a pool. There's some neighborhoods where literally every single house has a pool. :(

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
^^^Yep. Almost all the new construction houses get one. Average cost is about $40-45K with a enclosure.

Adower

Established Member
I might be the only person in here that actually enjoys their pool.

We have a 25x35 pool and with a variable speed pump/solar blanket/solar (just for the pool) I haven’t really seen that big of a jump in electricity.

TERMN8U

Established Member
I take it you are talking vinyl liner? I've walked several friends/relatives through it. It isn't that bad and you can save a TON of money.
20x40 is big. By todays standards it really considered HUGE and 8' deep is almost unheard of around here now.
Here pools are a 100% markup basically. Whatever the kit cost they double it and there's your price plus a little extra margin.
If you get a 60K quote then you should be able to realistically do it for 30K or less.
Thank you for your input. :)
The more I look into it, the more I think we should do it ourselves.
I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Blown 89

Established Member
^^^Yep. Almost all the new construction houses get one. Average cost is about $40-45K with a enclosure.
New construction around here are omitting the pools. Mainly because they're overbuilding the lots and don't have room.

IMO, pools are increasing eat to take care of. I think people tend to overthink pool care.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Wondering if anyone here has done their own I ground pool install?
We’re looking to do a Roman 20’x40’ with an 8’ deep end.
I watched a lot of you tube videos, talked to an installer and have connections with concrete guys and a crew to dig the hole.
I also just found out today that one of our customers manufactures and sells pool kits.
I’m in Canada so To have one of these installed by a pool company is $60,000 for everything including tax. They would also not be able to have it finished until mid to late August. That kind of writes off this whole entire summer.
What do you guys think? Should I take on this task or leave it to the professionals?

Dumb question maybe but how long can you use a pool for in Canada? Plan on heating? I'm a bitch with cold water but use mine like 3 months out of the year on Long Island.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Dumb question maybe but how long can you use a pool for in Canada? Plan on heating? I'm a bitch with cold water but use mine like 3 months out of the year on Long Island.

Not a dumb question and I should have asked. lol
Heat pump probably won't do much good and heaters are fairly expensive to run. Together they may make it usable 5 months or so but that will add 4-6K to the cost.
Also, I don't keep my water balance perfect and can get away wih it. Add a heat system and it becomes much more critical.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Not a dumb question and I should have asked. lol
Heat pump probably won't do much good and heaters are fairly expensive to run. Together they may make it usable 5 months or so but that will add 4-6K to the cost.
Also, I don't keep my water balance perfect and can get away wih it. Add a heat system and it becomes much more critical.
Depends the area, down here yes. Heat pumps are the way go in these parts and like you said, up there, no to a heat pump.

Users who are viewing this thread