Pony projection lights

5lho

Established Member
Yet another issue with these.

My little horses look like they've been hit with a shotgun blast or were in a scene from Sin City. The edges are all blurry, there is scattered light everywhere. Anyone got any guidance on whether this is fixable by me or if I just have to have Ford replace them? I don't care that much, but it is irritating. Car's a 2014 late build GT and has about 25000 miles on it.

Here's a pic:

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/5lho/library/PPL?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

kdaly

Established Member
Unless you have a hard on for them I'd just plasti dip them so they dont even display and call it a day. I am not fond of them but some love em.

5lho

Established Member
Well...fwiw, it's about the only thing the GF really likes about the car so, I'd be inclined to get Ford to fix them, while it's still under warranty but, if there is an easy no dealer visit fix, I'm all ears.

kdaly

Established Member
Well...fwiw, it's about the only thing the GF really likes about the car so, I'd be inclined to get Ford to fix them, while it's still under warranty but, if there is an easy no dealer visit fix, I'm all ears.

Lol I hear ya man, gotta appease the V. If I were you I'd just get Ford to fix them. But if you want to this thread should have you covered. They are like $60 to purchase.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/picture-request-2013-puddle-light-mirror-508040/

5lho

Established Member
Lol I hear ya man, gotta appease the V. If I were you I'd just get Ford to fix them. But if you want to this thread should have you covered. They are like $60 to purchase.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/picture-request-2013-puddle-light-mirror-508040/

Bought some new ones from Tasca so I can keep the old ones, take them apart and see what the problem was. Perhaps I can find a preventative answer which I'll share with the group. I'm thinking an LED buld might keep lamp temps lower and prevent degrading the lens, at this point.

5lho

Established Member
There appears to be no way to take these apart to get at the bulb. The back piece is solid plastic and the lens appears sonically welded in place. I could probably get that off but the mechanism is still behind the internal lens. I'm just going to get Ford to replace them and keep what I bought as a backup set.

5lho

Established Member
Ford replaced the lights w/o batting an eye. Say they do lots of them. The new ones look different, with a more bluish tinge to the light. maybe they changed the supplier or design. Hopefully these'll stand up better than the yellowy originals.

Yosemite Dan

Established Member
I found it started degrading for me after washing the car a few times so I figure it's a water issue. I found a easy fix that worked for me. Get some of that transparent Gorilla tape from Home Depot and slap it over the lights for protection against water. Image is not degraded at all. That stuff adheres to plastic pretty damn good and isn't noticeable. Had to replace my lights twice since I bought it but haven't had an issue since i put the tape on last year. And if dirt on the tape smudges the image after awhile just rip it off and put on a new strip.

Last edited:

wystewart

Established Member
I found it started degrading for me after washing the car a few times so I figure it's a water issue. I found a easy fix that worked for me. Get some of that transparent Gorilla tape from Home Depot and slap it over the lights for protection against water. Image is not degraded at all. That stuff adheres to plastic pretty damn good and isn't noticeable. Had to replace my lights twice since I bought it but haven't had an issue since i put the tape on last year. And if dirt on the tape smudges the image after awhile just rip it off and put on a new strip.

The lights are a sealed assembly, they should theoretically not be affected by water. Even if you only tape the bottom, water can still get around mirror to the lights. By putting the tape, you might be preventing any water that gets in by the mirror from escaping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread