Pondering selling...is it worth it?

TK Doom

Established Member
So...as fate would have it after a really bad divorce financially, I mean, I have money, just postponed my retirement plans, I'm now remarried with twins on the way. Identical girls.

So the question is...do I break up MY first twins?

I have a 2004 Mystichrome Vert and a 2004 Mystichrome Coupe.

The coupe was my daily driver for 12 years, it has 205k miles on it. Still in pretty good shape, except the drivers seat has a lot of wear. Completely stock except for K&N FIPK. Replaced radiator maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

Is it worth selling in this gas timeline?

The Vert has only 60k miles and is completely stock except I put 99 Cobra ambers on it, no plans of selling it.

My current DD is a 2017 Fusion Sport.

Thoughts welcome.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Congratulations on the babies!

What would selling the coupe get you? Paid off mortgage, earlier retirement, fully funded 529 etc?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i think it depends on what kind of joy it gives you. if it has a sentimental value to you even if you don't drive it very much then you might end up regretting it. money-wise the value will probably increase the longer you keep it.

over the years any thought i've had about selling quickly disappears because of the shit-eating grin i get from driving it. it's a feeling money can't replace.

just curious, were you able to find an stock replacement radiator?

LS WUT

Established Member
That’s a very tough call. If I Were you and I was trying to get money, and needed the money I’d sell the Vert. You’ve got sentimental value to the coupe hence the 205k Miles’s c and you drove it daily. The Vert will obviously bring more money as well. I’m unsure what you’d even get for the coupe. Never even heard of a mystichrome with that mileage. Family first, you can always get toys back later on if need be.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
If you and your family need the money you should not hesitate to sell one or both. My dad had to sell his 1969 Mach 1 when I was a baby. Yeah he was sad but he would do it over again because he had to. Family first.

Good luck!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
If you and your family need the money you should not hesitate to sell one or both. My dad had to sell his 1969 Mach 1 when I was a baby. Yeah he was sad but he would do it over again because he had to. Family first.

Good luck!

^This. I sold material stuff/toys I had to make a better life for my family. Then when they were set, I bought some toys.

TK Doom

Established Member
I'm currently selling all my extra Lego (bought 2 of every Star Wars UCS kit when I was younger), so all of that will be a pretty penny.

I dont NEED to sell the car, I'm just asking from a timeline perspective. Gas prices, wasted insurance premiums, I've a ton of "stuff" and I'm thinking what I can downsize and does it make sense.

I have a 9 year old with shared custody so my life is quite complicated for the next years.

I'm just throwing stuff out there.

These are great responses, thank you all. =)

TK Doom

Established Member
just curious, were you able to find an stock replacement radiator?

No i was not. Took awhile and had to go after market...I THINK its a Mishimoto...it failed after like 6 months, got a replacment under warranty and thats been working fine since.

cj428mach

Established Member
I assume with 200k you drive the piss out of it so why sell it? Mine averages 1,000 miles a year, it is probably a waste of money but I love it more than any other car I've ever driven.

I assume with 200k it's about a 13k car, does 13k do much for you?

jtkz13

Established Member
I would sell the coupe and keep the vert. The kids will enjoy the vert MUCH more than the coupe, its lower mileage, and it will be reliable and fun for a very long time.

Yes the coupe may gain some value over the years, but thats very high mileage and you have another one. Maybe sell the coupe and Fusion sport and get something more infant friendly. I daily drive a CTS sedan and its a PITA sometimes with one infant, two car seats in a sedan will be really annoying.

Also at some point you're going to have to spend a significant amount of money on the coupe to keep it running, so any value gained over the years will be soaked up.

TK Doom

Established Member
I assume with 200k it's about a 13k car, does 13k do much for you?
This approx value is good info.

I actually don't drive it more than 1k a year now, I bought the 2017 Fusion and retired the Cobra as my daily. I drive about 20k a year for work.

Users who are viewing this thread