Poll: Ignitor tick, when did it start???

When did your ignitor tick begin?

• I had the tick since day once.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Changed oil at 500 miles and got the tick

• Changed oil at 500 miles, no tick

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Changed oil at ≤ 2,500 to miles, got the tick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Changed oil at ≤ 2,500 miles, no tick

• Changed oil at ≤ 5,000 miles, got the tick

• Changed oil at ≤ 5,000 miles, no tick

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Changed oil at ≤ 7,500 miles got the tick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Changed oil at ≤7,500 miles, no tick

• What tick? I change my oil all the time.

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psucobra

Established Member
Im trying this poll to see if there is any correlation between the first oil change interval and the development of the ignitor tick. In the past I've always changed my oil at 500 miles on a new engine. I have about 1,500 on my 2012 right now and I'm thinking of going all the way to the first scheduled interval due to this ignitor tick issue. I dealt with slight tick on my '04 Cobra back in the day after changing the oil at 500 miles, don't want to go down that road again. This coyote motor seems to run a little loud anyway, definitely louder than myGT500 was.

Please take a few seconds to respond. Hopefully we can identify the group with the least occurrences and at least improve our odds of not having issues by using that interval.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
My 5.0 motor ticks real loud when idling but not sure what the noise is normal or not. But like you said, much louder then my GT500 as well and also much shakier, this motor shakes back and forth pretty good like an old big block lol.

I use 93 octane but have not changed the oil yet as it says still at about 50%. nearing 4k miles on mine now

dynasty_365

Established Member
wow yours says 50% at 4000 miles man when i hit 3000 miles mines was at 40% and i just hit anothe 3000 miles and its at about 40 again. and i have the tick at times but not regularly but my check engine light came on yesterday and took it into today and i have a bad cam sensor and that can cause some cylinder misfires and what not but hey gotta love the new 5.0 huh lol

chuckstang

Established Member
wow yours says 50% at 4000 miles man when i hit 3000 miles mines was at 40% and i just hit anothe 3000 miles and its at about 40 again. and i have the tick at times but not regularly but my check engine light came on yesterday and took it into today and i have a bad cam sensor and that can cause some cylinder misfires and what not but hey gotta love the new 5.0 huh lol

Yup lol. What are the specs on yours...looks like a black coupe with the "18s like mine!

Turbosixx

Established Member
I got right around 1400 miles on mine since new. No tick and no oil change yet. I'm going to change it at 3000 miles.

grnenvy

Established Member
First oil change around 4k with ford oil and filter. Second oil change at 11k full synthetic ford filter. 12k on the car since synthetic and still a nice quiet motor. Half of those miles are with the TVS on it.
This car holds a ton of oil. I will be changing it every 8k. IMOP changing it any sooner is a waist of money.

bexamous

Established Member
I changed my oil ~4000 miles, then ~8000 miles I noticed it would sometimes tick. At ~9000 miles I changed my oil and it didn't seem to have any affect... still randomly it would decide to tick. Maybe once a week I'd notice it ticking. Then I change it at 12-14k miles (don't remember exactly), and I'm now at 15k or so. Still tick is intermittent. Usually when I do hear it, car will be idling at 800rpm, I'll touch gas just enough to bring it up to 1000rpm and ticking stops, I'll just hold it there till light turns green or whatever and then drive around normally. 5 minutes later if I stop at a light again or something, car will idle at 800rpm with no tick. Just seems to pop up randomly.

xzero

Established Member
Mine started ticking since the oil change and its been about ole say 2.5k since oil change

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Mine Ticks, I can hear it if Im stopped, with the windows down, no music on, a/c off and next to something that will echo the sound....

Also, when I open my hood and stick my ears close to the injectors, I can hear those too...really annoying.

11,000 miles 2 oil changes, 1st oil change at a lil over 4000miles.

Chris

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Is an ignitor similar to an injector? If so I could have used an extra injector on my furnace when the ignitor died...

:banana:

:p

Users who are viewing this thread