Poll: Buying back your old racecar

oregon87

Established Member
Alright Mustang fans, I'm looking for a few opinions. Roughly 10 years ago, I finished an extensive build on a fox body Mustang, basically to American Iron specs. Gutted, caged, full MM suspension, Konis, Wilwood brakes, good paint, strong aero, etc. This car is the poster child for a killer road racing fox. Great car. However, after putting three engines in it in three years and splitting the block on the third engine at Thunderhill, I decided to let the car go. By sheer luck, and a damn good deed by the present owner, he apparently used the decals on the car to locate me and offered to sell the car back. It's generally the same car, however, he's built a nice 363 stroker for it and has touched up a few other areas. I have a strong sentimental attachment to it and would love to have it back, however, I already have a 2000 Cobra R and a 1980 911SC in the garage. As such, there isn't much room at the house for such an endeavor. We could make it work, even though the racecar would certainly put a large dent in the "rolling restoration" budget of the 911, even though it doesn't need much. So...people...the questions is; if you had the opportunity to buy back one of the best cars you ever built, with the idea that racing it again could be fun (auto-x, track days), would you?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The way you asked the question, you know the answer.

Me personally, nah. I've moved on to better and faster. BUT, if you don't track any of your other cars, then yeah, for sure would buy it back without thinking twice.

PC03GT

Established Member
Alright Mustang fans, I'm looking for a few opinions. Roughly 10 years ago, I finished an extensive build on a fox body Mustang, basically to American Iron specs. Gutted, caged, full MM suspension, Konis, Wilwood brakes, good paint, strong aero, etc. This car is the poster child for a killer road racing fox. Great car. However, after putting three engines in it in three years and splitting the block on the third engine at Thunderhill, I decided to let the car go. By sheer luck, and a damn good deed by the present owner, he apparently used the decals on the car to locate me and offered to sell the car back. It's generally the same car, however, he's built a nice 363 stroker for it and has touched up a few other areas. I have a strong sentimental attachment to it and would love to have it back, however, I already have a 2000 Cobra R and a 1980 911SC in the garage. As such, there isn't much room at the house for such an endeavor. We could make it work, even though the racecar would certainly put a large dent in the "rolling restoration" budget of the 911, even though it doesn't need much. So...people...the questions is; if you had the opportunity to buy back one of the best cars you ever built, with the idea that racing it again could be fun (auto-x, track days), would you?
I would, you might never see that car again if you don't.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The way you asked the question, you know the answer.

Me personally, nah. I've moved on to better and faster. BUT, if you don't track any of your other cars, then yeah, for sure would buy it back without thinking twice.

^ Exactly this.

oregon87

Established Member
What is so weird is I had NO idea that I wanted it back until I saw it again. I am really interested in autocrossing again and doing the occasional track day and time attack events, but I won't do so in either of the two cars we currently have. This is such a stupid "first world" problem to have, but I know all you car guys understand. :)

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If the only value is "sentimental" and current owner is not selling at a "gotta have it" price, PASS.

oregon87

Established Member
If the only value is "sentimental" and current owner is not selling at a "gotta have it" price, PASS.
That is sound advice, right there. My wife and I have been discussing exactly that. His initial ask is reasonable, but certainly not "gotta have". Respectfully, I don't won't to low ball him in an effort to not minimize his contributions to the car.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
That is sound advice, right there. My wife and I have been discussing exactly that. His initial ask is reasonable, but certainly not "gotta have". Respectfully, I don't won't to low ball him in an effort to not minimize his contributions to the car.

Remember, he reached out to you, not vice versa.

I fee like the low-ball is mandatory to gauge his desire to sell. If nothing else, it's a starting point.

You could say something like "Man.. I love the car -- brings back so many memories! But I really don't need it based on my current stable and im a little embarrassed to lowball you, BUT I'd gladly give $xx,xxx for it!"

oregon87

Established Member
Remember, he reached out to you, not vice versa.

I fee like the low-ball is mandatory to gauge his desire to sell. If nothing else, it's a starting point.

You could say something like "Man.. I love the car -- brings back so many memories! But I really don't need it based on my current stable and im a little embarrassed to lowball you, BUT I'd gladly give $xx,xxx for it!"
Spot on!

LS WUT

Established Member
I think of old cars I’ve built like an ex girlfriend. I tend to not get rid of cars unless I don’t want it anymore. It’s similar to an ex girlfriend saying she wants you back after she’s been rail roaded, and done some unthinkable things. It will never be what you once thought it was. Your attachment is the thought of it, not actually the car. Unless it’s a man I could get this car back for a steal and not be able to replicate the car in the same way, sure why not.

oregon87

Established Member
I know you all were curious about the car. Here's a teaser pic.:)
M.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You buying it back answers the question of how much it meant to you. Even if for track events. A big plus is that it hasn't changed much since you sold it. Should be a lot of great track events coming in the future for you. Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread