[POLL] Best Budget Shocks/Struts?

Which Budget SHocks/Struts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LDC2335

Established Member
I've had the cheaper stock replacement KYB's on my car since 09, with about 40K on them. One of my rear isos split, so since I have to drop it all to replace the iso's, I figure I might as well throw some new ones in there. I don't drag or track. Sadly all i do in my pride and joy is drive 50 miles a day to work(town/hwy mix). Also since installing the supercharger, the added weight up front is causing me to bottom out easily and also slightly scrape my cats on my driveway. So I'd like something a bit stiffer that can handle the added weight; i know the poly iso's should give me a quarter to hlaf inch over the worn stock ones. I've sold some school books and got about $400 to throw at it.. I'm on H&R Supersports

Heres what I'm deciding between. I don't want used.

- KONI STR.T

- KYB AGX Adjustable

- Eibach Pro-Damper Shock & Struts

- Tokico HP Series

Last edited:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I had those Tokico shocks and struts on my old black 97 which I sold. That car was lowered with H&R springs and it had great ride quality with those tokicos. Better ride than bilsteins, probably not the same performance.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I had those tokicos and they died within in 3 months with my H&R super sports. Had them replaced and those also died very soon. After that experience I am a fan of buying the better quality stuff so I only have to do it once. Bilsteins ftw!

LDC2335

Established Member
Weird, my cheapo KYBs are still "working" after almost 5 years and 40k miles. They are just lacking in providing the added support I need..

I'm leaning towards the KONI's, I'm not spending Bilstein money even if they are worth it.

Tickle

Established Member
I've put about 8k miles on Tokico Blues. Had stock motorcrafts before, so I don't have much to reference. The ride is great so far. I'm lowered with Eibach Pros. Found the tokico Blues on Amazon for a hell of a deal. Just couldn't justify the money for Billsteins.

LDC2335

Established Member
Pulled the plug on the Koni orange. 400 bucks, lifetime warranty. Not bad. Also got prothane iso for all four corners. Thanks for the few that posted. :thumbup:

mustang3X

Established Member
I put the Konis on my car. Not saying they are the "best" but the price was right and the car rides great with H&R sport springs

mustang3X

Established Member
Good to hear. Seem to be the best at that price point.

Bilsteins are top dog but I didn't have the cash for those. There are a few other guys on the forum running the Koni Str.t and I don't recall reading anything negative from them.

Will say that every now and then there is a bit of harshness but I live in MI and the roads here pretty much suck. With the car sprung as stiff as it is crap pavement is bound to upset the ride occasionally, especially from the pot holes left over from last winter.

Last edited:

arayray

Established Member
You can find used Bilsteins in good condition for very good prices (what I am doing) and you have the option of sending them to Bilstein to get revalved.

LDC2335

Established Member
Got them in the mail today with my prothane isos. Now just need a free day to put them on.

Lifetime warranty for original purchaser is a plus too on the Konis.

Last edited:

Shoeman 1

Established Member
Bilsteins FTW!!!!!!!!!! You can find some nice used Terminator fronts usually & just add new ones for the rear. Lots of places will run specials on them from time to time.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I have the strt's on my car. I happy with them. Every year around March they go on sale and you can get all 4 for 300. Hard to beat these when on a budget.

Someone asked about strange. Good for the drag strip when on a budget. Not so good on the street. For me they were a lil harsh. Never had the fronts. I have found tokico illuminas leak sooner than later. Had many sets of those.

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I voted Eibachs because I run the shocks, struts, springs, and sway bars and it handles like a wet dream. But Ive always read and heard good things about Koni, so I don't think you can go wrong.

LDC2335

Established Member
I voted Eibachs because I run the shocks, struts, springs, and sway bars and it handles like a wet dream. But Ive always read and heard good things about Koni, so I don't think you can go wrong.

Good to know. It looks like a decent set and they were on sale at AM for 439, I just never hear of anyone running them.

Users who are viewing this thread