Polished Blowers are nice but damn,

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont care what microfiber towel you have, I hate the way it feels on my fingers, it's not surprising to me it's an issue on something like this.

That blower looks awesome! I need to polish my procharger head unit again but need to find a quality sealer

CV355

_
Established Member
Looks great! Yall got any tips for someone that sucks at polishing? Everything I polish is almost mirror finish but not quite.

+1 on the Mothers Mag Polish. Very good stuff, very light cut.

Soft toilet paper or super-fine felt are the secret weapons for squeezing that last bit of shine out of polishing. I also watered down the polishing compound towards the end- made a huge difference since the removed material and media was suspended like with wet sanding.

Other advice- don't think you can save time by skipping steps. It just doesn't work. You have to start with the heavier grit and progressively work your way to the 2000, 4000, and then start getting into compound. Otherwise, as you start seeing a nice mirror finish, you also start seeing pitting that the ultra-fine paper or compounds wont remove. Then, you ruin all that nice polishing when you have to go back to heavier cut to remove the pitting/scratches you missed. Really sucks, done it plenty of times myself. There is no time to be saved by skipping steps!!

Another trick is to invest in a nice Dremel or air-powered rotary tool. Put in some headphones, put hearing-pro over that, wear a respirator and safety glasses, then go to town. I have an entire toolbox filled with flap wheels, disks, polishing bits of all shapes, even some home-made ones.

Any time you're doing polishing, wear your PPE.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Another trick is to invest in a nice Dremel or air-powered rotary tool. Put in some headphones, put hearing-pro over that, wear a respirator and safety glasses, then go to town. I have an entire toolbox filled with flap wheels, disks, polishing bits of all shapes, even some home-made ones.

Any time you're doing polishing, wear your PPE.

hmm, hadnt thought about using the dremel for that, hell the big kit full of stuff I bought might even have polishing stuff

CV355

_
Established Member
hmm, hadnt thought about using the dremel for that, hell the big kit full of stuff I bought might even have polishing stuff

It worked great on all the crevices on the water pump. I do larger flat or slightly curved surfaces by hand. You really need the rotary motion to take care of sharp concave curves/corners though.

Can't stress enough- WEAR PPE! I only wore safety glasses the first time I spent an hour polishing an intake manifold and you would be surprised how much compound/throw gets up in your nose. If you're just doing touch-up or mild polishing, safety glasses at a minimum. If you're removing material, wear a respirator or at least a set of lab goggles and a dust mask.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It worked great on all the crevices on the water pump. I do larger flat or slightly curved surfaces by hand. You really need the rotary motion to take care of sharp concave curves/corners though.

Can't stress enough- WEAR PPE! I only wore safety glasses the first time I spent an hour polishing an intake manifold and you would be surprised how much compound/throw gets up in your nose. If you're just doing touch-up or mild polishing, safety glasses at a minimum. If you're removing material, wear a respirator or at least a set of lab goggles and a dust mask.

I watch guys at work polish the leading edges of large cabin aircraft. They are in FULL, head to toe PPE. Suits start off as white lab jackets and after 4 hours they are covered in blackness. Extreme? Yes. But I agree even the little polishing stuff, you gotta protect yourself

Back to polished blowers....

I do think though, depending on the material, say something like a kenne bell billet aluminum is easier to upkeep and avoid micro marring versus cast aluminum. That has been my experience

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The engine bay looks great.

There's some good info in here too. I have a polished Whipple waiting to go on and I need to go over my tanks again really good. What felt are you guys using? Is it something you can get from a craft store?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I was told by a guy that polishes for a living to never go back and forth always polish in the same direction.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
After I figured out the secret, the rest of the polishing was a breeze. I did the water pump, radiator, overflow tank, bracket, and ignition control module housing.

1st pic is where I said "Screw Microfiber"
2nd pic is when I was removing that light pitting
The 3rd pic is a reflection off the bracket when I was done. Yes, I melted my motorcycle visor.

You dont even want to know how my last motorcycle helmet looked when I retired it...

@COOL COBRA Thats a fine looking polish job. And I must say.... I am ashamed. My engine bay looks nothing like that.... Its actually looks like a daily driver engine bay. :(:(:(

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have always liked polished items under the hood. That blower looks Great!

Now time for the FRPP chrome valve covers?

^^^Then you would have to wear sunglasses to look at your engine....

R

Users who are viewing this thread