Polished Aluminum - Ceramic, Ano, or Clear Coat?

CV355

_
Established Member
I got ahold of some US-made repro 428 CJ "Snake" Cast valve covers for my Mach 1. My goal this weekend is to polish them to a mirror finish to match everything else in the engine bay. I like the "polished" look far better than chrome. My experience with polishing aluminum is that it looks great until you breathe near it, then it scratches. This leaves me with three choices:

1) I was advised to look into a ceramic coating like you'd apply to paint. Any experience with this? Sounds like a good option but the substrate is still soft as butter.

2) Anodizing. I've had tens of thousands of parts anodized over the years in my line of work- clear, dyed, hard, you name it. It always comes back dull even with pre-electropolishing. Still, some people swear that certain ano shops can pull off a clear ano that doesn't dull the surface. I have yet to see it.

3) Automotive clear coat. I've tried this before too, and it always yellows in the engine bay (Especially high-temp). Is there one I should be looking at?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Having to maintain several cars with mirror polished wheels & other various parts,
chrome powder coat has come a long ways. I've seen samples in the last couple years & it looks great. And of course, very little maintenance. Wax 1 time, easily just wash afterwards.

Blown38

Established Member
I used Sharkhide on the whipple no yellowing holding up great 3 years later. Some hot grease from a new electric water pump flung onto other sharkhided stuff and spotted it up.

Blown38

Established Member
Fresh pics. The crossover is powder coat chrome without the clear over top for oxidation protection. I could never get the top coat to not turn the chrome more silver.
a982e58d697947938f9db88f4840b415.jpg
48d3acd215cd3d4da229074fd4494b9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
Fresh pics. The crossover is powder coat chrome without the clear over top for oxidation protection. I could never get the top coat to not turn the chrome more silver.

I hadn't considered chrome powdercoat. Didn't know it could look that good actually.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I hadn't considered chrome powdercoat. Didn't know it could look that good actually.
Agreed. I told you mane! Lol.
I saw chrome powder coat say 10 years ago. Wasn't impressed. I saw some samples last summer, way better.
Actually, it had a hint of the polished aluminum look that I like. Not QUITE as shiney as pure chrome, but had the slight aluminum look that's hard to describe in words.
I've got polished Blowers, pulleys, wheels on several cars. Also many triple plated chrome parts. Not store bought but chrome shop applied.
It's too late now, but I'd trade it all for chrome powder coat. Purely for the trade-off on polishing time. (Which I love doing in a sick way).

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm cranking on the aluminum polishing this week each day after work. I'll post pics when done.

Going to order a small ceramic kit first, see how that pans out. If it discolors, I'll either take everything apart and send it all for powder coating, or might take a weird turn and have everything gunmetal/black chromed for a unique look. I just really don't care for bright chrome. Even on motorcycles.

Basically if it isn't Ford Corporate blue in the engine bay, it's polished.

CV355

_
Established Member
Agreed. I told you mane! Lol.
I saw chrome powder coat say 10 years ago. Wasn't impressed. I saw some samples last summer, way better.
Actually, it had a hint of the polished aluminum look that I like. Not QUITE as shiney as pure chrome, but had the slight aluminum look that's hard to describe in words.
I've got polished Blowers, pulleys, wheels on several cars. Also many triple plated chrome parts. Not store bought but chrome shop applied.
It's too late now, but I'd trade it all for chrome powder coat. Purely for the trade-off on polishing time. (Which I love doing in a sick way).

Ok, so after putting in a stupid amount of time sanding and polishing the valve covers, I have realized I'll have to take at least 0.030" off the surfaces to get beyond die flow marks. Not doing that... I got one to a mirror finish but the die flow marks are still apparent. Guess I'm going to have to go with the powder coat. I really do not like bright chrome. So, I'll be tearing down the engine bay this afternoon and sending it all over to a local powder coater.

Was it Eastwood Hot Coat PC powder that you used? Any way of telling which one it is?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
No I've not used it, just saw a sample at a car show & was impressed.
Not QUITE as bright as actual chrome but leaned more towards polished aluminum.
Would be a great mix of durability & ease of maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread