PMAS vs JLT Intake

JMetro64

Established Member
I'm having a tough time deciding between the PMAS and JLT. I get contradicting info on each Intake, with both saying theirs is superior to the other. Just curious if anyone has had any real world experience with either of any data comparing the two. Granted I know its probably a minor difference, but why not squeak out some extra horsepower if I can even if it is only a few lol

Osiris

Established Member
The stock set-up is VERY good. The others are as good, certainly better from a visual standpoint (if you opt to have it painted).

Performance gains aren't worth the purchase on their own.

ANGREY

Established Member
There's parts of this conversation that are prickly for some.

Bottom line is that you should pick whatever your "tuner" feels more comfortable with or uses. The days of handing the keys to your tuner (or installing a chip) and seeing big jumps in performance are gone. The voodoo and the 18 coyote are pretty "wrung out" from the factory so there's not a lot that can be done to get more power (responsibly) because the motor continuously optimizes the A/F and spark advance based on all the conditions (rpm, throttle position, intake temps, etc). The engine runs out to max output in most conditions and then scales back based off knock sensor. That's not to say there isn't some improvements, but beyond leaning it out to risky levels, there isn't gobs of power to be squeezed like years ago.

Having said all that, you won't see many TRUE apples to apples results for intakes. Most of them are clouded because the gains are coupled with a tune, a tune and exhaust, a tune with exhaust and headers, etc.

When you completely isolate the "intake" beyond the throttle body with the MAF all by it's lonesome and without a tune, you'll find the gains are nearly negligible.

I picked JLT, just because it was a package and was something Lund already had done quite a bit of tuning/tweaking with for a canned/mail tune.

I also think the CAI really only becomes a limiting factor once you start heavily modding other things. Beyond wild improvements, I don't think it will matter between any intake (including stock) to move the needle, so it's basically whatever your tuner prefers.

JMetro64

Established Member
Thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense. I do see that Lund has package at lethalperformance with both with a tune. after speaking with their techs they say john prefers the pmas, but other tuners prefer the jlt. I ended up going with a tune and intake package from JLT. I had their intakes on my 03 cobra and my 13 gt500, so I'll stick with what I know as well as what ive seen others have good luck with. either way im sure I wouldn't know the difference between the two. just was curious if anyone has had any experience with either since there seems to be limited info online for the GT350 compared to other mustangs

Users who are viewing this thread