please help with supercoupe decision

kennycoulter

Established Member
my friend is moving away.
the situation is: i was supposed to get a free 94 bird that was wrecked if i were to rebuild his 89 supercoupe engine.
he is moving sooner than he had thought, so he sold the v8 car for more than what we were agreeing on, and told me the super coupe is for sale.

he says the car's oil pressure skyrocketed then dropped to zero then skyrocketed again. when he started it back up, it was knocking. i am thinking the main bearings spun and now everything is screwed(meaning engine machining needs done).
on top of that, he says the auto trans stopped going into overdrive.

we were going to put in a worn out supercoupe engine and swap a 5 speed from one from the junkyard, so with a rebuild, im thinking that might be about $600-800.

im goign to check the car out better tomorrow, but i was hopign to get some responses on what to offer on price. he says when he looked up kbb or whatever, his condition should go for $2200..but he said that is with a good running engine.

so far he has told me about the trans, a few dents, no radio or speakers, and he doesnt have a key for the doors and trunk.
i dont know much of the options that are different on the t-birds, but his has a sunroof, power everything, including still working seats, and has a rear spoiler.

i will check the super coupe website, but just for quick response:
1.what should i offer (a ballpark figure after naming all thats wrong)?
2.can a mustang transmission go into a t-bird without changes? are the t-bird trans' just as strong?
3.can you port the supercharger like you can with a terminator and lightning? are upgrades cheap/easy and readily available?
4.what should be the first things to beef up or fix or look for that go wrong in a supercoupe?

my sister had a regular 91 v6 bird that the rear end broke, so i would figure to get a billetflow or similar rear end brace...but what do i look for since i cant drive the car?

any help is very appreciated.

kennycoulter

Established Member
looked it over today. i dont see rust underneathe the body. the interior is fair to good. the piping is a little worn in one spot on the drivers' seat. some discolored carpet in some areas, and all of it could use some cleaning. there is no rear spoiler, i thought there was. the car has a bra and aftermarket fog lights. looks like the rear end is leaking. i didnt see flakes in the oil. the trans oil looked really dark. surface rust on two spots, but otherwise really good. the car still has the door speakers and original cd/tape deck, but not installed. leather on shifter and ebrake still great. supposedly no leaks whatsoever for the body. i think i saw oil leaking from what looked like a trans cooler line to the radiator. he said he had a leak at the valve cover. tires are generic, but look brand new......BUT its been sitting for i think more than a year and they are now very very low, so i would think they might be flat spotted.
any other things to look for?
what should i offer?

fast Ed

Established Member
The SC used a big Mazda 5-speed trans, a T5 from a Mustang is not directly interchangeable ... takes quite a lot to get one of those in.

Porting the supercharger and inlet plenum will help a bit.

Exhaust and head gaskets are the areas to look at. Free up the exhaust, and if you're going with a used engine, it would probably be worthwhile to put some fresh HGs and bolts on it, before installation.

Search over on www.sccoa.com, all of the basic questions have been answered over there. :)

cheers
Ed N.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Also not that one reason the T5 didnt come in the SC's is because of strength....stock for stock the MR52 mazda trans is stronger...iits also longer...doing the T5 swap put the shifter smack dab against the dash in a Tbird. Yes you can port a SC blower..its an M90. So dont expect huge numbers. Things to look for onSC's.

Bad DIS unit...also ignition control modules
Bad Headgaskets
Leaking powersteering hoses and racks
Rack bushings
Motor mounts
Upper and lower control arms and strut rods
Leaking intercooler tubes and vacuum lines
TPS and cam sensors.

8ate8

Established Member
There's always an AutoRotor or Magnum Powers' new blower. I made 391rwhp/429rwtq with my AutoRotor, front mount intercooler, heads, cam, and exhaust.

kennycoulter

Established Member
that is some amazing numbers. i made an offer to him last night, but he said he might just keep it and rebuild it later on.

kennycoulter

Established Member
well, at his goign away party last night, he said he doesnt think he will get to put it back on the road very soon, and was happy that i wanted to fix it up.
he asked me what my offer was again, and i said $500...he told me he would sell it to me for 350. im giving the money to him today, but i dont know when ill get to start working on it.
i am still getting the sonoma for the daily driver/parts getter, so build up of the supercoupe will go really slow since im down more money now.
hopefully my 944 will sell wort of soon so i can jumpstart all of my projects.

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
There's always an AutoRotor or Magnum Powers' new blower. I made 391rwhp/429rwtq with my AutoRotor, front mount intercooler, heads, cam, and exhaust.

I remember you from SCCOA heh. My name was 1fastsc there.

Users who are viewing this thread