PLEASE HELP... Whipple noise. =[

04GTMustang

Established Member
I've had a rough month. The car wont pass inspection even with a good tune, MIL's, and lots of driving..... AND NOW... I think now the whipple has a bearing noise or rotor noise I can't tell.

The noise is NOT the engine. I disconnected the belt from the blower and the noise was gone. I bought the blower on the forums with 3100 miles on it. I've put maybe 1000 on it. Oil never been changed, tune is fine, no other noises from idlers or anything.

I am so upset over this I feel like selling the car. And I love my whore. I don't know what to do and I don't have much cash to get this fixed. Someone point me in the right direction before I jump in front of a train

black 10th vert

Established Member
Don't run it anymore! There is a great aftermarket rebuilder that I used to fix my 2.3 that had noise like you are describing the first time I started the car.:nonono: This was due to it being dropped on it's snout during the shipping to me.:fm: Anyway the guys name is Jon Bond, and his company is Jon Bond Performance. He will take care of you for half of what Whipple charges, and is very fast with turnaround. If you can't find him through google, let me know because I have his info in my office. The more you run it, the more damage you will do, so I recommend not driving it at all.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Damn....another whipple failure. That really sucks to hear! Hope you are able to get it fixed soon, without having to spend too much money!

Not trying to rub it in, as I know an eaton isn't shit compared to a twin screw....but....that is one of the main things I like about these eaton blowers! These things are built like tanks! Over 100k miles on my DD eaton car/blower (some of those are hard miles too), and never a single problem from the eaton.

Let us know how everything turns out for you! Good luck!

04GTMustang

Established Member
I don't have a second car and i have to drive to school to move in. I could swap the 3.5 on so it is spinning less and stay out of boost until I can pull it off and ship it out.

Could it just be the snout? Doesn't whipple have a warranty??

It's a W140X

04GTMustang

Established Member
Starting to think the sound could be rear bearings or maybe even something stupid like something came loose somewhere on the car near the motor. It almost seems like its a rattle/slight vibration instead of a knock.

I will keep you all posted as I learn more about the issue.

black 10th vert

Established Member
If it sounds anything like mine then you need to take it off immediately and send in to Jon Bond Performance. He took good care of me and everything seems good so far.

My "like new"blower before my rebuild:cuss:

whipple noise 03 Cobra - YouTube

Yep, Jon Bond will fix it right up for you, and for half of what Whipple charges. He did a fantastic job fixing mine, as I had damage resulting from shipping damage. He is very fast too. Don't run it it! Even staying out of boost will cause more damage, and cost more in the long run. If you are lucky it is just bearings, but if it gets to the point where there is rotor contact, or case damage, you are in for a HUGE repair bill! Put your Eaton back on so you can drive it while the Whipple is being repaired.

04GTMustang

Established Member
Talked with Jon. Very good resource and seems to know what he's doing.

Kept trying to narrow down the problem by unplugging one coil at a time then unplugging both coil and injector for a cylinder at a time. Each time no changes, same noise.

Can hear the noise now with the belt off.

Maybe a valve? The noise isnt very severe. When I put a screwdriver to the fuel rails with the rubber handle on my ear i can hear the tapping.. is that normal? Seems like the sound is coming from between the whipple and the motor where the rails are.

No change in volume under the car but haven't gone back up on ramps yet.

No idea... under maybe 3500 revs constant the snout or belt does sound loud... This is impossible to pin point.

04GTMustang

Established Member
Might be a false alarm....

Turned the car off today and I heard the sound rattle to a stop... wondering what it was I turned the car back on and turned the car off again this time with the clutch in and in gear. The noise was gone when the car turns off..

Tried it again.. Neutral, clutch out... rattle to a stop. 1st gear clutch in, no rattle when turning engine off.

Thinking TOB.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Might be a false alarm....

Turned the car off today and I heard the sound rattle to a stop... wondering what it was I turned the car back on and turned the car off again this time with the clutch in and in gear. The noise was gone when the car turns off..

Tried it again.. Neutral, clutch out... rattle to a stop. 1st gear clutch in, no rattle when turning engine off.

Thinking TOB.

Thankfully it sounds like you found the problem - and it's not blower, or engine related! That is great news.:beer:

04GTMustang

Established Member
Thankfully it sounds like you found the problem - and it's not blower, or engine related! That is great news.:beer:

I'm almost positive now. It was so hard to pinpoint the sound because the sound travels through the engine and blower very easily.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm almost positive now. It was so hard to pinpoint the sound because the sound travels through the engine and blower very easily.

I know what you mean! I had trouble even pinpointing which idler was making noise, so I just said the hell with it, and replaced them all!

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Check your idler pulleys also. A friend had one go bad and it sounded like it was the blower.

04GTMustang

Established Member
Not the idlers. Not the belt. Ran the car with no belt and changed a few idlers out and the noise is still there. I'm 99.9% sure it is driveline/transmission related. Maybe a TOB, clutch, or pilot bearing?

Sounds JUST like this just a tiny less severe. But it is getting worse.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-qWroxA0Y"]What is this transmission noise? - YouTube[/nomedia]

04GTMustang

Established Member
And it sounds a lot like this except when you give it some throttle it doesn't get really change.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzy_a75OJAk"]Brand new engine and clutch noise - YouTube[/nomedia]

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
if it was your TOB, then more than likely the sound would go away when you touched/applied pressure to the clutch. also my TOB noises in the past have always reminded me of crickets chirping.....that type of sound. (at least this has been MY experience in the past with my mustangs, and TOB).

if you do find out your problem is clutch related, then check into ProMotion Performance. they make EXCELLENT clutches for our cars. they ARENT over priced, they are sooooo much lighter than the stock clutch. the car actually feels like any other car that has a clutch now. also i have had ZERO clutch chatter with this clutch. not even during the break in period. also their TOB is excellent as well. mine has been on my car for 30k miles or so, and hasnt made a single chirp yet! the car is my DD. if i ever have to replace the clutch again, i will definitely be going back to ProMotion! :rockon:

here is a link to their site.

ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO/FORD/GM Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches FL

termin80r

Established Member
I had a problem simular to this. take the cover off of the transmission. if you have a rebuildable fly like i did, a rivet may have come loose and the starter ring is rattling against the flywheel. My car did this forever before i figured it out. maybe post a video of the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread