please help???spark plug issue

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone want to agree with me and say rod bearing ? .... I've seen it before. Yes, tolerances are that tight.

I've never heard this before causing the spark plug to close. So your thinking the bearing is shot?

tcroush23

Established Member
If it was a bearing it would be makeing noise at idle? Car sounds normal and drives normal until full throttle.
Others are telling me that I need to switch to e85 and it would go away

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
For the plug to be closing like that it has to be making contact with something, probably your piston. I would guess and say it is a serious problem and more than likely something is going bad in your bottom end. I would not drive the car until you figure out exactly what is going on. Switching fuels will do nothing to help this problem, I hope you get it sorted out and back up and running soon. Good luck.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Yes, I've seen this before. Not on my personal car, but at the local dyno shop ( and in house machine shop). You wouldn't necessarily hear it at idle or free revving the engine. But, I'll bet my paycheck it's the rod bearing. Nothing else can cause it. Put it on dyno under load and stand next to it and report back ;-)

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Just goes to show how tight our engines are. Think about that next time you take it to 7k, lol. Makes my a-hole pucker thinking about it. Welcome to "the modular" .......

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Numerous things could have caused bearing to go bad. My advise, stop driving the car now, don't even start it. Hopefully you'll be able to save the crank. I see you're running the BREF's, which don't have much of a projected tip too. If you had a TR6 or equivalent in there, you really be making contact.

...... Keep us posted with your findings. Good luck.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've seen this on motors running to much timing. Detonation or knock kept compressing the plug like that. That's possibly why someone said switch to E85. You could try pulling timing from your tune and see if the issue goes away. Also look very closely on the top of the plug and look for any signs of physical contact. Was the piston actually touching it? I'm guessing not. Take a flash light and look inside the spark plug hole very carefully at the piston at TDC. Any signs of contact or marks there?

Also which plug exactly are you running? Hoping you didn't put a longer plug in that's contacting the piston.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen this on motors running to much timing. Detonation or knock kept compressing the plug like that. That's possibly why someone said switch to E85. You could try pulling timing from your tune and see if the issue goes away. Also look very closely on the top of the plug and look for any signs of physical contact. Was the piston actually touching it? I'm guessing not. Take a flash light and look inside the spark plug hole very carefully at the piston at TDC. Any signs of contact or marks there?

Also which plug exactly are you running? Hoping you didn't put a longer plug in that's contacting the piston.

That's some good advice, I've actually heard this happening before as well! Totally slipped my mind.

tcroush23

Established Member
Using NGK br7s
I think they are the right ones cause the car was running fine and Strong, the temp down here rose to 98-102 thinking you are right about the timing I shall check on that and let u know, the plug doesn't look like it was hit and the piston just looks a Lil dirty but no marks

tcroush23

Established Member
What do u all think of maybe one of the fuel pumps giving out?? And that's causing the car to leal out at high rpm

Users who are viewing this thread