Please help select appropriate headers - supercharged 2010 4.6L 3V

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Car is 2010 supercharged Roush 4.6L 3V (forged internals), dyno'd 625rwhp, so about 700 at the crank. I want equal-length long-tube headers. My main goal is to get a nice smoooooth exhaust note and I've always had good luck when using 'tuned' headers.

Also looking for good fitment and relative ease of installation. Plus I would like the headers to take as much heat as possible out of the engine compartment, I kinda think ceramic coated might be best for this???

Size-wise, I am thinking 1.75" with 3" collector. I know that may seem small, but I am not interested in every last HP at max RPM. I want mid-range punch and smooth drivability.

I intend to re-use my existing 2.5" stainless steel system (Pypes hi-flow cats and x-pipe and Corsa muffs). I will TIG the system as needed for proper fitment to the headers, and likely add a couple of SS braided flex couplers just after the cats.

Many thanks for any help! Dave F. in RI

Recon

Established Member
Roush has mid-length headers. Which are just a rebadged Kooks system. Good stuff.
If you want to reuse your current set up you'll have to modify it to accept the longtubes. Or buy another mid pipe that's compatible with the headers you choose.
You can use header wrap to try and keep temps low in the engine bay.
On a side note: I wouldn't go too much farther on those internals. You're getting closer to their limit.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Roush has mid-length headers. Which are just a rebadged Kooks system. Good stuff.
If you want to reuse your current set up you'll have to modify it to accept the longtubes. Or buy another mid pipe that's compatible with the headers you choose.
You can use header wrap to try and keep temps low in the engine bay.
On a side note: I wouldn't go too much farther on those internals. You're getting closer to their limit.

I'll check out the Roush.... are those 'shorty' headers??
I'm fully set up for welding and completely revising the whole system, plus I have a lift, so no problem there.
And yeah, I agree about power limit. I'm actually not looking for power (I drive the car easy anyway), I'm looking for that nice smooth exhaust note that tuned headers emit, it's like music to my ears, haha......

Recon

Established Member
They're technically mid-length. They're their own little class. Longer than shorties but shorter than longtubes.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, you really got me curious. I searched at Roush Parts, and also Googled, but see nothing like what you describe. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks very much.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282232535716
You can message them and they'll sell you the one with the Catted X; if you're interested in it. Or you can message them about just wanting the actual headers and not mid pipe.

Oh, that's cool as Hell. Thanks! I see it's discontinued, which I suspected when I couldn't find it. I've had some interactions with the guys at Roush Performance, and they have been terrific. Real standup company. :)

Thanks again.... that looks like it would suffice for me, so long as they are basically equal-length. I'll shoot them a few questions. :cool:

Recon

Established Member
That's strange it was in stock about 8 months ago, and they just started offering them 4 months before that.
Yes I believe they're equal length headers. I almost bought them when I bought the last P-51 shortblock they had. Same one in your car.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Got the Roush/Kooks headers and x-pipe yesterday. And man, they are beautiful, they even have 'Roush' badging. These are PERFECT for my (or yours, haha) Roush car. Absolutely perfect. This kit came complete with mounting bolts, gaskets, band clamps and O2 sensor extensions. What a deal for $850!

A gigantic THANKS again to Recon for the tip on this kit!!! :)

headers22.jpg

headers23.jpg

headers24.jpg

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't wait to hear how these turn out for you. Keep us posted!
On a similar note, I put an exhaust system on my 70 Buick GS. Way long tube headers had an x pipe and took it out. It now has no x or h in the system and it changed the sound completely. It sound like I changed the camshaft to one with way more duration. I kind of like it....talking about school sound.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I can't wait to hear how these turn out for you. Keep us posted!
On a similar note, I put an exhaust system on my 70 Buick GS. Way long tube headers had an x pipe and took it out. It now has no x or h in the system and it changed the sound completely. It sound like I changed the camshaft to one with way more duration. I kind of like it....talking about school sound.

Heya Scott, yeah, I totally get it about "old school sound". Some folks really seem to prefer that classic note.

Man, I have been heaping some serious TLC on that Hammer, haha. I gotta admit, in the beginning I was not liking the car and kinda kicking myself. But it's working out now. It's getting dialed in and I'm really starting to enjoy it. Gets a lot of looks at cruise nights and such. No one's ever seen a Hammer before, so that maybe the coolest part about the car.

Hope you weathered Irma OK...........

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, I got the Roush (Kooks) headers installed, after having them ceramic coated with 1800* coating......................
header64.jpg

headers64.jpg

headers64.jpg

Thanks again to Recon for finding this fabulous deal for me!

headers69.jpg

I TIG'd in some flex couplers just after the x-pipe. I always like using flex couplers whenever possible.
headers68.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread