Please help me pick an exhaust for 03/04 Cobra (video inside)

badazzar15

Banned
First, I want to say I'm not bashing the Cobra exhaust sounds. I think they all sound great. However for my exhaust, it's gotta be perfect. Hopefully I can find a setup that works for me.

Ok, simply put, this is what I am looking for in an exhaust:

Deep Sound. As deep as I can go with a 4.6 4V (think Big Block sound). Not too crazy about the higher-pitched sound alot of 4.6's put off. I figure if I want a deep sound, I need to go with an O/R H-Pipe.

I also want an exhaust that doesn't 'pop' or 'crackle' on decel. My other 4.6 had an exhaust that did this and I didn't like it. It didn't sound clean to me.

Clean. I want an exhaust that sounds clean.

Loud. I want straight-up loud man. I can't get enough of the V8 engine note and want to be immersed in it, lol

I also am not crazy about the 'underwater' sound alot of 4.6's make at idle. I think a nice set of comp stage 3 cams will fix this.

Any suggestions on the combo I should go with?

For reference, this is one of the better sounding cobras I've heard. What exhaust is this?:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXsAYCrvNsg&feature=related"]YouTube - Kenne Bell Cobra[/ame]

Thanks

Last edited:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
This is pretty deep sounding. I will be going with Mac exhaust soon.

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/MAC-3-inch-MRT-Catted-h_2402.htm]MAC 3 inch & MRT Catted h - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

Last edited:

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
I think if you go with any chambered muffler with off road H or X or even prochamber you will be extremely happy. Any of them should give you the sound you want.

svt2ner

Established Member
Im pretty sure the snakebite cobra is mac exhaust + upr x-pipe... or mac exhaust + kooks headers + x-pipe.

Mr. Jones 4.6

Pushin Gas Kickin AZZZ
Established Member
Heres a Bassani o/r X-pipe and Bassani Cat-back w/ stock manifolds....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D965nequP18"]YouTube - 2003 Cobra Whipple 600rwhp revs/idle[/ame]

SVT03CobraVert

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXjtBEkU_9A"]YouTube - 2003 SVT Cobra 1st and 2nd Gear Pull[/ame]

SLP Loudmouth 1's, Pypes X-Pipe on my car..

I love my LM1's...It was about a three day decision for me getting LM1's or Lm2's. Watching videos on youtube, reading reviews and what not.. But I am very happy with my choice. I get complements all the time on my exhaust setup. But like most people say its a hit or miss on the LM1's but mines loud, cop magnet for sure Ive been pulled over twice in my car and both cops have told me man that car sounds sick "I still got the ticket". But I have catted x-pipes as well. I couldnt imagine o/r.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
First off what car do you have? Do you have stock manifold or headers? I think a good prochamber is first, then listen to the different CB systems to find the sound you want. GL

badazzar15

Banned
Here it is bro!:rockon::rockon::rockon::beer:

Customer Cars

wow, that car is a beast! Thanks for the link, added it to my favorites.

Looks like he's running a Custom 3" H-Pipe, MAC 3" IRS Catback, Full length 1 3/4" headers just for exhaust.

Of course the cams, fuel injectors, 302 short block and 2.8H make the car sound so pissed. I wonder how a stock cobra with just the similar exhaust would sound?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
First, I want to say I'm not bashing the Cobra exhaust sounds. I think they all sound great. However for my exhaust, it's gotta be perfect. Hopefully I can find a setup that works for me.

Ok, simply put, this is what I am looking for in an exhaust:

Deep Sound. As deep as I can go with a 4.6 4V (think Big Block sound). Not too crazy about the higher-pitched sound alot of 4.6's put off. I figure if I want a deep sound, I need to go with an O/R H-Pipe.

I also want an exhaust that doesn't 'pop' or 'crackle' on decel. My other 4.6 had an exhaust that did this and I didn't like it. It didn't sound clean to me.

Clean. I want an exhaust that sounds clean.

Loud. I want straight-up loud man. I can't get enough of the V8 engine note and want to be immersed in it, lol

I also am not crazy about the 'underwater' sound alot of 4.6's make at idle. I think a nice set of comp stage 3 cams will fix this.

Any suggestions on the combo I should go with?

For reference, this is one of the better sounding cobras I've heard. What exhaust is this?:

YouTube - Kenne Bell Cobra

Thanks

That , my fellow cobra owner, is Borla exhaust. The straight through stingers.

It is the cleanest, deepest, most beautiful sound a mustang can make.

No pop on decel either, unless you have on O/R X or any X really. Stick with H and cats and you will be fine.

that site says the car has a new owner with a rebuilt and more powerful engine now. Looks like he changed the exhaust setup as well.

Look on Youtube for a comparison of exhaust setups. You will hear the Borla compared to the Mac. It is a world of difference.

here is THE video you need to see:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhrpGHA5IpM"]YouTube - Mustang Symphony Exhaust Trio Borla, Bassani, Mac[/ame]

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
That , my fellow cobra owner, is Borla exhaust. The straight through stingers.

It is the cleanest, deepest, most beautiful sound a mustang can make.

While I agree that Borla is a great sounding exhaust for these cars, the car in the Snakebite video was running LT's, O/R X, and a Mac catback.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
That snakebite car sounds SICK!!

Is anyone 100% on what exhaust combo it has? Id like to know as well and there seems to be different people with different info...

Thanks!

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
im 99% sure Snake bite is LT Headers, O/R X, and MAC catback

Heres my 01 with Longtubes, Catted H pipe and a 3' JBA. It was a great sounding exhaust. Very deep and loud even with cats. I will be going to back to it soon. It was taken with a pretty shitty camera though.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDLu75ZpJM"]YouTube - 2001 SVT Cobra JBA Exhaust[/ame]

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Ai_PoEF7U"]YouTube - One Bad SVT Cobra[/ame]

This is another car with a good sounding exhaust. Might even be snakebite before the wheels...

Sounds sick! :rockon:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
That snakebite car sounds SICK!!

Is anyone 100% on what exhaust combo it has? Id like to know as well and there seems to be different people with different info...

Thanks!

In that vid it was Kooks LT's, off road X, Mac catback. The car has changed owners and engine/exhaust combo's since then.

YouTube - One Bad SVT Cobra

This is another car with a good sounding exhaust. Might even be snakebite before the wheels...

Sounds sick! :rockon:

Different car, that car was a VRS o/r X and Mac catback.

moot09

Established Member
I have a magnaflow cb with stock h. Love the sound at wot. Bolt up a o/r h you got loud lol

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
In that vid it was Kooks LT's, off road X, Mac catback. The car has changed owners and engine/exhaust combo's since then.

Different car, that car was a VRS o/r X and Mac catback.

What kind of X? And i see that. How do you know all of this? lol

Im beginning to think as much as i dont like the quality or the tips on the mac system, thats the sound i like. :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread