Please Forgive My Ignorance

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
What is a Terminator?

I just joined the Mustang family for the first time with a 2013 GT500. I have seen this seperate forum. Other than a 2003/2004 Cobra? What makes a "terminator?"

Scott

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
A terminator is an 03/04 Svt cobra...because it terminated the competition in 2003, that's what made it the terminator...I've heard some people on this forum say that the 2013 gt500 is the new terminator

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Blueline

Established Member
serious.gif

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Roll up next to me in your 13 GT500 and I'll show you why they are called Terminators. ;)

TRBO VNM

If you search and might be in the FAQ, there are pictures from the assembly line with the crates that the motors came in and they were labeled terminator. And some labels on the car are labeled terminator as well. Basically, it started at the Ford plant and thats that. LOL

I also believe and am sure I will be corrected if wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that "hollywood" told Ford they couldn't officially call it a terminator because of copyrights. Which I would fully believe because the builder who built my subdivision is John Wayne and all the road names are the movie names. Hollywood sent him a letter saying that he could not name the subdivision John Wayne Estates because of copyright issues.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ddefinitely read through the Terminator FAQs. If you're REALLY interested, get a copy of the book 'Iron Fist, Lead Foot'. It is quite a story.

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I will get the book. Sounds like an interesting read. I have never been a "Ford" guy and never got into anything Mustang. And that is my fault, I should have paid more attention. I will look up the book this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Scott

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Roll up next to me in your 13 GT500 and I'll show you why they are called Terminators. ;)

+100 :burnout: make sure that go pro is mounted and you get the video :beer:

Welcome to the site Scott...lots of good folks and a wealth of knowledge. And congrats on your purchase

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
13 GT500 is the new terminator and modified it's gonna be a monster. Congrats on your purchase. But the 03/04 cobras are going down in car history for sure. With a powerful motor good brakes and flimsy chassis they managed to TERMINATE the competition and I think at the time they were the most powerful production mustang to date

Last edited:

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
I also believe and am sure I will be corrected if wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that "hollywood" told Ford they couldn't officially call it a terminator because of copyrights.
I would say almost certainly wrong. It would not be a copyright issue, but a trademark issue. Since there is no likelihood of confusing a car with a movie they could both use the trademark "terminator".

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
agreed

^ Agreed. I was told (again, many variations as to why) that Ford internally called it the Terminator and had plans to actually call it that, however, thought the name too aggressive and chickened out. I was told that if you remove the side scoops, they are stamped with FoMoCo and also "Terminator" though I have never confirmed this.

Either way, it will no doubt be a car in the history books. Welcome to the site Scott and get a ride in a Terminator if you have the chance!

Comp281

Established Member
^^^ Yes the black plastic pieces in the side scoops do in fact say terminator on them. I have one off my old cobra. Enjoy the new ride OP.

mrose75

Established Member
There are parts throughout the car that have Terminator on the factory stickers.

Users who are viewing this thread