Playing w/ TH400 idea

Turbo347stang

Established Member
I know it's a GM product, but it's a great street/strip tranny for many applications.

Not real familiar with the auto tranny world. Can anyone give me some insight on parts I need and where to get them. I have a local tranny builder that is well known for strong TH400s so that part is covered.

Any info or ideas would be appreciated. Swapping into 90GT behind low boost turbo motor.

4valvemach

Established Member
Ive always gone with the th350 in my 350ci trans ams because the th400 takes more power to turn.If I were to guess you will at least need a trans mount,drive shaft,short headers and hpipe or maybe long tube headers for a AOD will work:shrug:

Why not stay with ford and how much power are you making?

Turbo347stang

Established Member
The main reason I'm not staying with a Ford product is because C6s get spendy fast and it's a lot harder to find a good builder than w/ the the TH400. I'm trying to have no more than 600hp, but wont know for sure until after I take it back to the dyno to finish tuning. Also I have heard the TH400s are much more streetable, when built, than the C6s.

Turbo347stang

Established Member
Yeah and Lentech's are $2500+. A built TH400 to handle the power I want is $1300-$1500. Which is exactly why I'm looking at them, but thanks for the alternative idea.

4valvemach

Established Member
What is the reason your builder suggest the th400 over the th350 when a built th350 can handle you power output without eating power?

I see the th400 behind big power big blocks and th350 behind big power small blocks just curious

Last edited:

Turbo347stang

Established Member
I think it is because he has the several TH400s in his shop and since I don't have a shell for him to build from it will save me the cost of him finding a TH350

singe

To bad your not closer. Got a th350 just sitting in a storage shed id give you. Found my dream car (71 Chevelle) and gunna put a ls1 and t56 in it.

Users who are viewing this thread