Platinum plugs for Supercharged app?

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
I thought that I read somwhere that platinum spark plugs were incorrect for a supercharged application (my 99 has AWSF32E PLATINUMS). Is this true or am I seeing things?:??:

I noticed several references to the Ford Motorcraft plug AWSF22C...gapped between .035-.038..for supercharged apps.

What plugs are all of u "blown" brothers running?

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
After I slapped the SC on my car with the gaps that you mentioned I had all sorts of problems dropping from 5th to 3rd gear. I would have intermittent surges and loss of power under acceleration. I had it tuned, replaced the plugs with the motorcrafts and have not had problems since.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Just not as efficient or safe as Iridium plugs of the same heat range.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
You can run platinum plugs in supercharged applications, however, it is usually recommended that you go to copper or iridium. I use the Denso Iridium's, two heat ranges colder than stock, and gapped at 0.032.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Regardless of what material your plugs are made of they have to be in the right heat range(usually 2 steps colder) and have to be gapped correctly for you ignition system. If you have a stock ignition system you should be gapped between .32 and .35, if you have a good aftermarket ignition some claim to be able to run stock gap(.42 - .47).

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Platinum plugs should never be ran in boosted/nitrous applications.

Platinum reacts chemically to nitrous, and does all sorts of funny things to the combustion process.

Under heavy boost, it also does "funny" things.

I switched to the basic non-platinum motorcraft plugs, 2 heat ranges colder than stock. As soon as I get cash im gonna get some denso iridiums.

-Homer

Blown306

Established Member
Good old fashion 3924 coppers here, gapped .040 (I have a MSD 6a and blaster coil) and changed every season. Only 1 step colder because I run 8.5:1.

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Blown306: ...coppers here...I have a MSD 6a and blaster coil

You can get away with copper because of the greater spark charge of your aftermarket ignition...

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Iridium spark plugs are recommended for supercharged applications running on stock ignitions...

Maximus67

Established Member
I just had my car tuned and had stock plugs in it. Once the tuners saw this, they sent me out to get different plugs. Have Autolite (same as Motorcraft) AWSF 22c. Gapped at .35. Oh, and they're copper.

TonyG

Established Member
I've been told, by some of the Honda racers (and these guys aren't the typical ricers... these are serious racers) that the Iridium tip can break off if there's any detonation, thus bounding around a little tip in the combustion chamber.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread