Plasti-Dip, Autoflex or vinyl wrap?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Originally I was not considering dipping the car, but maybe I should since it's cheaper & I would do it myself on my own time. However, I do not want a matte finish.

Should I stick with having the car wrapped? If I dipped it, I would just order the DIY kit off the site for a few hundred. What about the Autoflex coating instead?

If anyone here has dipped or applied Autoflex to a car please chime in. I've dipped many wheels & other small parts, but never body panels.

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Autoflex is the way to go. But really need a booth to spray this as it is not as diy friendly, but it rivals real paint and to be able to wet sand buff and polish a removable coating is incredible imo.

Has won best paint in several of the local car shows and its removable.

Autoflex on facebook and instagram show some pretty amazing quality.

BME

KING
Established Member
Autoflex > Plastidip

That being said, autoflex cannot be used with a turbine setup to achieve that gloss that you are talking about. You have to run it through a good sized air compressor, and with a good paint gun. Your DIY kit is not going to look anything like the results that it sounds like you're looking for. I dipped my car a while back and I had a ton of fun with it. It is a PITA taping the whole car off (at least a full days work if you're meticulous), and it can be a PITA getting EVERY piece off. Yes it peels in sheets, but if you neglect those edges in the slightest bit, it will not be your friend come time to peel. Also, the "peel when wet" areas aren't as easy at it seems when you have 30 places to get to before it dries. The cool part about going the DIY method is that all you have to do is buy more paint and tape for a new look. Autoflex is an awesome product and will likely cost much less than a wrap. I'd highly suggest having that done professionally, and inspecting that persons work to make sure it is up to your standards as a ton of people think they are capable of spraying it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Autoflex is the way to go. But really need a booth to spray this as it is not as diy friendly, but it rivals real paint and to be able to wet sand buff and polish a removable coating is incredible imo.

Has won best paint in several of the local car shows and its removable.

Autoflex on facebook and instagram show some pretty amazing quality.
Just contacted a local shop that does Autoflex & vinyl. Quoted me the same price (Around $2k) for both so may as well go vinyl.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I been checking out wraps and prices for sn95 are estimated around 1k, I'm I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never_Enough

Established Member
I been checking out wraps and prices for sn95 are estimated around 1k, I'm I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe cheaper in your part of the country or that shop does bad work? I've gotten quotes from $1,800 up to $2,900 for vinyl wrap on my Miata.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Ya, reverse lights. But seriously, we never found out if it was fixed and what was found to be the fault.
That's because I exhausted everything I could check. I'll let the shop figure it out when it goes in for inspection over the summer.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Autoflex has to be more of a PITA to remove than vinyl, no? So for the same $ I may as well go vinyl.

Autoflex jobs done professionally just look incredible, its a multi-stage job and is definitely $$$ and the results speak for themselves. Though you better be damn sure you like that color, gonna have to live with it after dropping 2-3K

Users who are viewing this thread