Plaid times on the street…

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob, we're talking about the OP here. I'd say there is a 50% chance it's gone by Memorial Day, 75% by the 4th, and 99.99% by Labor Day.
I had the model Y p all winter and it did lose some but not bad...i don't do enough driving for my range to ever really be an issue. I normally have 60-70 percent left after my work day is over.
I know you don't keep vehicles very long, but I'd love to see some in-depth tests done because I'm seeing a lot of mileage claims but they're under ideal temperature conditions. Car makers (and Dems) are pushing EVs hard and at some point a good number of new EV owners who drive them daily with an hour or more commute are going to find out that their mileage is going to be less than desired/needed in very cold areas of the country where single digits are common place in the winter months. Surely most owners will adjust because they'll have to.

@ArabianOak, would you say that heavy throttle (how can you resist it) plays a much bigger factor in battery mileage than does very cold temps?

ArabianOak

Established Member
I know you don't keep vehicles very long, but I'd love to see some in-depth tests done because I'm seeing a lot of mileage claims but they're under ideal temperature conditions. Car makers (and Dems) are pushing EVs hard and at some point a good number of new EV owners who drive them daily with an hour or more commute are going to find out that their mileage is going to be less than desired/needed in very cold areas of the country where single digits are common place in the winter months. Surely most owners will adjust because they'll have to.

@ArabianOak, would you say that heavy throttle (how can you resist it) plays a much bigger factor in battery mileage than does very cold temps?

Tesla's have a battery heater which helps the cars do "better" in cold temps, from my understanding Ford did not do this with their EV's and mileage in the winter was cut by nearly half range...eek.

I noticed maybe a 10 percent drop on really cold days...again, doesnt really impact my day because i'm not driving 300 miles anywhere (which was the range of my model y).
I did take the Y on one long trip to Louisville and only stopped once for a supercharge...took 30 mins....what I did notice is that the battery wears out MUCH faster setting the cruise at 80...40-50 miles of range is lost at 80. At 70mph no range is lost and it keeps it's 300 mile range.

As far as performance goes, brooks from drag times has shown a 2 percent drop for each 1/4 mile run...keep in mind your going nearly 160mph during such a pass...again, pretty good stuff. Also, brooks posted a video of the plaid at only 20 percent state of charge still running in the 9's...it did lose a good amount of trap speed (136mph compared to 153). But still insanely fast.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Good lord. I’m gonna rent one on Turo soon, I rented the Ludicrous one last year and it was fun AF. The low speed acceleration is just unreal.

I raced a model 3 performance from a low roll in my GT500 last weekend. The little turd was at my door until about 50mph, (then it seemed to just go into reverse lol). The tri-motor seems to change all that though, they’re fast even after 60mph

Here’s the ludicrous I rented from Turo, I can’t believe people rent these things out…
010d52012f684c67380f90db35b7d685.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Here’s the ludicrous I rented from Turo, I can’t believe people rent these things out…
010d52012f684c67380f90db35b7d685.jpg
Its actually the thing to do since it has cameras everywhere and can record any crazy shit the driver decides to do. Buy a Plaid, put it up on Turo, let renters be aware of what the car can do. If they crash I believe they're liable.
As far as performance goes, brooks from drag times has shown a 2 percent drop for each 1/4 mile run...keep in mind your going nearly 160mph during such a pass...again, pretty good stuff. Also, brooks posted a video of the plaid at only 20 percent state of charge still running in the 9's...it did lose a good amount of trap speed (136mph compared to 153). But still insanely fast.
Dragtimes or some science channel should do a test of a car that's capable of running low 9s with full tank of gas vs Plaid fully charged. Not to see who is faster, but to see which car can do more passes.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Dragtimes or some science channel should do a test of a car that's capable of running low 9s with full tank of gas vs Plaid fully charged. Not to see who is faster, but to see which car can do more passes.

That would actually be interesting, like when Road & Track did the 50 launch control launches on the 911 Turbo S to see if it would break or go slower.

I'd like to see a 500 mile race on a closed course with the same cars. The Tesla using their charger and the other cars using a plain gas pump. Heck even a nice sedan like a S63 or Panamera Turbo S.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Not a big fan of Stangmode, but his newest vid is a Plaid. Acceleration seems totally nuts. 0-60 in what seems to be a millisecond lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread