Places to buy used cars and/or aftermarket warranty for used car

Darknight

Established Member
I am looking to get a newer truck soon that is either stock or close to it. I am mainly looking for advice on places to find used vehicles that have THE best warranty OR if there are places similar to what American Home Shield is to houses but for vehicles that I could buy a great warranty for a used vehicle on.

For a little background, I used to be able to do all my own work on vehicles to save money and make sure it was done right but now do to chronic illnesses and various other issues that is out of the picture as an option.

But I don't want to waste the money on a new vehicle just for the warranty and I also don't want to get a used vehicle just to have to waste tons of money bringing it to a mechanic fixing things either in case things start magically breaking after I purchase the vehicle.

Any experience or advice on something like this?

SHOdown220

Established Member
Most of the extended warranties that either contact you or you find online are basically scams. They will loophole any repairs to the point they become useless, all the while forcing the shop to install used garbage parts at discounted rates. For ****s sake stay away from American auto shield/car shield. They are one of the worst.

Best I’ve dealt with are either manufacture warranties or well known warranties. Carmax and Hendrick autoguard come to mind.

Chances are if your vehicle isn’t being inspected prior to a company starting coverage it’s a borderline scam warranty.

Darknight

Established Member
Sure, I can help on both or either. What are you wanting?

Sent from my Potato
Don't really have a specific preference for make/model of truck other than dependable and decent mileage if possible. F150, chevy/gmc 1500, dodge 1500, etc.

A ballpark range of cost would probably be 15-20k at lowest finance rate. New I know I could get 0% in places that offer it but not sure on used.

If it could get out of its own way and run in the 14s or at least 15s it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I currently drive a 99 gmc Sierra regular cab so it would be very easy to beat it with amenities or ride quality but the cammed 6.0 with stall and supporting mods has made it fun in the mean time I suppose but I'm mostly past all that now.

I'm willing to look at v8 or ecoboost like engines. Don't tow at all right now but it wouldn't hurt to have the option for the future

Could be regular cab or ext. cab or quad cab.

And of course like I mentioned a warranty that won't break the bank but will cover me for most or all possible issues that could come up buying used to not break me after buying.

-----------
To SHOdown220

What do the car max and hendrick autoguard warranties look like or how do they work compared to the others you mentioned that are scam like?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't really have a specific preference for make/model of truck other than dependable and decent mileage if possible. F150, chevy/gmc 1500, dodge 1500, etc.

A ballpark range of cost would probably be 15-20k at lowest finance rate. New I know I could get 0% in places that offer it but not sure on used.

If it could get out of its own way and run in the 14s or at least 15s it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I currently drive a 99 gmc Sierra regular cab so it would be very easy to beat it with amenities or ride quality but the cammed 6.0 with stall and supporting mods has made it fun in the mean time I suppose but I'm mostly past all that now.

I'm willing to look at v8 or ecoboost like engines. Don't tow at all right now but it wouldn't hurt to have the option for the future

And of course like I mentioned a warranty that won't break the bank but will cover me for most or all possible issues that could come up buying used to not break me after buying.

-----------
To SHOdown220

What do the car max and hendrick autoguard warranties look like or how do they work compared to the others you mentioned that are scam like?
Email me tomorrow and I'll get you handled.

[email protected]

Sent from my Potato

SHOdown220

Established Member

-----------
To SHOdown220

Just 2 off the top of my head that I deal with on a regular basis. You would have to be purchasing a car from carmax or a hendrick dealer to get either of those.

Main difference is they use oem parts and pay the shop labor rate using verifiable labor times based off all data or Mitchell. These other places make up their own labor times and rates leaving the customer to pay the difference in what they will actually pay out and what the total bill is, and you end up with either aftermarket or used parts. They also like to delay repairs to send inspectors out to try and find reasons not to cover the repair.

Not saying they are all like that but I’ve got to the point with a lot of these companies I refuse to honor their warranty at my shop, just not worth the hassle.

Contact nick and see what he can do for you, both vehicle and warranty wise.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just 2 off the top of my head that I deal with on a regular basis. You would have to be purchasing a car from carmax or a hendrick dealer to get either of those.

Main difference is they use oem parts and pay the shop labor rate using verifiable labor times based off all data or Mitchell. These other places make up their own labor times and rates leaving the customer to pay the difference in what they will actually pay out and what the total bill is, and you end up with either aftermarket or used parts. They also like to delay repairs to send inspectors out to try and find reasons not to cover the repair.

Not saying they are all like that but I’ve got to the point with a lot of these companies I refuse to honor their warranty at my shop, just not worth the hassle.

Contact nick and see what he can do for you, both vehicle and warranty wise.

A warranty/extended service contract that goes through a company who makes it harder to get a claim fulfilled than buy the contract to begin with is a waste of time and should be illegal.

SHOdown220

Established Member
A warranty/extended service contract that goes through a company who makes it harder to get a claim fulfilled than buy the contract to begin with is a waste of time and should be illegal.
100% agree

Extended Warranties are a scam.

Well, some of them yes. Are they betting that you will spend more buying the warranty then they will have to pay out? Of course they are. So does your insurance company. I'm not saying its the best investment of your money but for some people they can handle 30 or 40 bucks a month added to a car payment more than they could handle an unexpected large repair bill.

I file claims to extended warranties on a daily basis, and I've seen plenty of contracts that had no payouts but I've seen plenty that have paid out 2-3X what the customer had invested, sometimes in one repair order.

Car repairs are getting expensive, especially with all the tech. One failed audio unit could cost $1500, an a/c compressor can easily run near 3 grand these days. As much as I like dave ramsey and his advice, he isn't experienced enough in the automotive business to make some of the claims he does.

rborden

Established Member
100% agree

Well, some of them yes. Are they betting that you will spend more buying the warranty then they will have to pay out? Of course they are. So does your insurance company. I'm not saying its the best investment of your money but for some people they can handle 30 or 40 bucks a month added to a car payment more than they could handle an unexpected large repair bill.

I file claims to extended warranties on a daily basis, and I've seen plenty of contracts that had no payouts but I've seen plenty that have paid out 2-3X what the customer had invested, sometimes in one repair order.

Car repairs are getting expensive, especially with all the tech. One failed audio unit could cost $1500, an a/c compressor can easily run near 3 grand these days. As much as I like dave ramsey and his advice, he isn't experienced enough in the automotive business to make some of the claims he does.

It’s a proven science that they make more off the extended warranties than they will ever pay out on repairs. If this wasn’t true, they wouldn’t be sold. 55% of extended warranty purchasers never even use the warranty.

Anyone with half a brain could save up a 6 month of expenses emergency fund and be able to cover the cost of the repairs out of pocket. Sadly, most people are in debt up to their eyeballs and don’t have an emergency fund.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
As others have said, warranties ate just insurance. I have rarely used the premium paid. IMO depends on the car. Didn't buy it for my Buick. I can afford to take the chance on a few k. For the new Volvo, not taking the chance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep. How long you plan to own the vehicle is a factor to consider, too.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Dave Ramsey is a fossil and he has lost touch with the modern world. So his opinions don’t mean anything. Get a warranty through a dealership and you’ll be fine. Caregaurd, safegaurd, zurich and CNA are all warranties I enjoyed dealing with when I was in the business. For the love of god stay away from “car shield”.

nxhappy

Established Member
A used car is a used car. You are GOING to have issues. If you cannot work on your car, as stated, either buy NEW with warranty, or a certified preowned with existing warranty. essentially you will be buying from Ford. nothing wrong with that ..... Third party warranty is a joke. new technology is crazy ,making it impossible for backyard mechanics to fix shit. based on your post i would buy a certified pre ownd 2019 or 2020.

SHOdown220

Established Member
A used car is a used car. You are GOING to have issues. If you cannot work on your car, as stated, either buy NEW with warranty, or a certified preowned with existing warranty. essentially you will be buying from Ford. nothing wrong with that ..... Third party warranty is a joke. new technology is crazy ,making it impossible for backyard mechanics to fix shit. based on your post i would buy a certified pre ownd 2019 or 2020.

Low mileage certified preowned is a great option. The warranty doesn't cost you anything it's included with the car. For instance my wife was set on us buying a loaded Honda Pilot. We were looking for new or lightly used. We found exactly what she wanted in an 11 month old 11k mile one for $9500 less than a new one. New warranty is 3/36k and 5/60k. Our certified is 4/48K and 10/100K warranty. So not only did we save a ton of money upfront we also got essentially the same bumper to bumper warranty and an extra 40k powertrain warranty.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It’s a proven science that they make more off the extended warranties than they will ever pay out on repairs. If this wasn’t true, they wouldn’t be sold. 55% of extended warranty purchasers never even use the warranty.

Uh, duh.

If they paid out more than they took in, they'd be out of business.

Sent from my Potato

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I ran my own shop for 7+ years, anytime I had to call in for a after market warranty claim, I always quoted the labor rate $25 per/hr higher than actual shop rate because I knew they would undercut the labor hrs ect.
So many of those after market warranty companies do not cover gasket or seal failure. Only mechanical failure. Blew a head gasket, too bad. Rear main seal leaking, nope. They won't cover fluids like oil and antifreeze. So essentially, the person who bought the "warranty" bought an empty promise.
Buying a Ford? Get the Ford Extended Warranty. Might be more up front, but the deductible is typically less or even zero. Plus you are getting Ford/Motorcraft parts, not Auto Zone BS.

CobraSam

Established Member
If you buy a Ford, check out FloodFordESP. They’re are stipulations, so check it out first. Fords extended warranties are legit. Used it many times. Helps to have a good local Ford Service shop.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
MOST extended warranties are a scam. I deal with them on the daily and I can count on one hand how many have been good to work with and actually follow normal industry standards. By far the best I have used was Zurich, which if you don't know, Zurich owns Farmers Insurance so they are probably the biggest out there, but I rarely ever get warranties from them.

I'm working a claim right now through The Mechanic warranty company. Thought they were going to be legit but I was wrong. They have dragged out the claim for a month now and their policy is that they never call the customer or the repair facility, you have to call them for any updates and that will land you a 30min minimum hold time no matter when you call. That's bullshit and the first sign I knew they were going to be scammers. On Thursday I left a call back number for them to reach out to me (this was the 3rd time I tried to leave a call back, the first two times they never called) and about an hour later a call comes through and I see it is their number, but before I could even pick up the phone the person on the other line hung up. Dishonest insurance companies and adjusters do this all the time. They say they called or have been calling and that no one is answering. This claim has got to the point where the dealer called me and told me to send them the estimate because they are likely going to just cover the costs for the customer since the warranty company is not doing anything to help the customer who paid $4100 for the highest Platinum plan.

You have to really do your homework with these companies and you can't always trust that a good dealer is going to carry a legit warranty company. The big one going around, Car Shield, is trash also.

Users who are viewing this thread