Pioneer 4200Nex Head Unit Install Apple Car Play

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Hey I know this threads a little old but the op seems knowledgeable. I was curious if you think this would work on my 2000 GT. It is currently a single din but I got a radio bezel trim piece for a 2002 so it had the double din. I was wondering if you think it would be the same install because I was going to do exactly what you did

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I don't know how much is applicable to a non-Mach 460 stereo. I'd call Crutchfield to verify what you need. I'm sure that it can be added, but the harnesses will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Looks great. It really is nice to have all those features in a radio; it helps to keep the car a little more modern.

It is a Mach 460 unit but prior to 2001 it is a single din unit. Okay I'll give them a call tho thank you

Youll need this harness for your car if you want to keep the Mach 460.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-G95JiCAYhU9/p_142C4FDK5/Scosche-C4FDK5-Wiring-Interface.html

The plug for the woofer amps might be cut off if they put a stock double din in. In that case, it would be easier to replace the speakers and run new wires to bypass the factory speakers. Youll be able to remove the amp/speaker box in the rear.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
So I was thinking of using a similar head unit but also adding a powered subwoofer and just crossover [block] the bass from the factory speakers. The factory amplifier and speakers seem to be great for mids and highs, but are just terrible on the low end for bass.

Will this work?

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Look on Crutchfield. I ordered the Sony XAV-AX100 and it has a subwoofer output. Plus you can have them premake the harness for you so it becomes plug and play. Very simple and easy

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
right I figured any head unit with a pre-amp output (which most of them have) should work. I was just curious if anyone left the whole 460 system alone and just swapped out the head unit and added the subwoofer...

If you can stop the bass from hitting the factory speakers I would think it would sound pretty solid.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Just keep in mind that the factory system is 8 ohm vs. standard 4 ohm. If you isolate everything, then it should work. You need to bypass the factory amps.

I would personally not do a hybrid setup. Just pull all the factory stuff.

I'm happy with the sound with the factory subwoofer after a lot of setting adjustments. I'm pretty picky.

thatdude305

Established Member
My Mach 460 head unit was on it's last legs and decided to upgrade with cutting edge hardware.

I installed a Pioneer 4200 NEX DVD receiver LINK. It has a 7" touch screen and the latest Apple Car Play that allows the receiver to control your phone and display Apple Maps (Navigation) on the screen. An Apple Lightning cable is required for Car Play, but the phone just stays in the center console now.

It also features HD radio and a microphone for hands free. It can accommodate a back up camera, although I didn't feel the need for it.

I kept the original Mach 460 speakers and amps due to the complexity of upgrading. The good news is that the high level of customized speaker settings allowed me to make the system sound much better than stock.

The following was required for the install:
1. Metra 70-5521 Reciever Wiring Harness LINK
2. 12 V to 5 V converter LINK
3. Metra 95-5026 Dash Kit LINK
4. Micro-Bypass Parking Brake Switch LINK
5. Heavy Duty Metal Lightning Cable 5' Long LINK

The wiring colors match almost exactly with the exception of a few stripes. The micro bypass switch simulates parking brake engagement to avoid "nanny" messages or lock outs.

Custom Screens can be loaded and the button lighting is full spectrum to match the factory button illumination. Button placement is excellent for a 95-2004 Mustang.

View attachment 704172

View attachment 704173

View attachment 704174

Crutchfield was excellent as always and included detailed wiring instructions. I highly recommend them for any high end audio visual equipment. It is nice to talk to someone that knows their product. Most of the installation materials were provided for free with the purchase of the radio.
How do you like the quality of the radio? I am currently looking for a new head unit.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
351Stang,

Thanks for posting this, motivated me to upgrade the old HU for some modernization. Used the JPGs you posted as well. Wife said it looked stock and asked if the JPG came with it so guess it looks clean.

Went with the lesser/newer MVH-1400NEX as I haven’t used a CD/DVD in about ten years. So far so good, car play and wireless streaming services are great.

14izb5l.jpg

Coryh0525

Established Member
My head unit volume is all screwed up plus the sound of an older system just doesn’t cut it anymore. How easy is this install, or is it just easier to have an audio shop do it? Thanks

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
My head unit volume is all screwed up plus the sound of an older system just doesn’t cut it anymore. How easy is this install, or is it just easier to have an audio shop do it? Thanks

Buy from Crutchfield. Pay $25 for the custom Mach 460 harness. Should come free with bracket and ancillary gear. Install takes 10 - 20 min depending on how long it takes you to find the right socket.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I honestly didn't like the sound quality from the aftermarket head unit, so I went back to stock. I'm guessing if I replace the head unit, I will just replace the amps and speakers, too. Are you guys ok with just a head unit replacement?

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I honestly didn't like the sound quality from the aftermarket head unit, so I went back to stock. I'm guessing if I replace the head unit, I will just replace the amps and speakers, too. Are you guys ok with just a head unit replacement?

Did you adjust the speaker settings and the subwoofer settings? Mine sounded significantly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread