Pinging Question (Revisited)

sssSnake 01

Established Member
How many of you that were complaining of pinging problems have a K&N filter?

Has anyone noticed if the change in airflow might be leaning out the fuel/air mixture?

Could this be a problem if the factory fuel mapping was based on the lower airflow from the factory filter?

I put my K&N on within a week of buying my car and have had minor pinging during heavy acceleration above 4K rpm.

Is the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor capable of compensating for the improved airflow?

Is there anything we as owners can do to help the car learn the air density based on the K&N. i.e. disconnect the battery and then reconnect so it relearns based on new conditions????

I am Curious. Anybody got any thoughts on the subject?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
the mass air sensor should be well within it's capabilities in compensating for the extra air. it shouldn't have anything to do with the computer, but then again, if the fuel curves are a little off to begin with, that would cause a problem.
although if you have more airflow, it will exagerate any problem with the fuel curve.
that's an interesting idea about disconnecting the battery, i don't know if that would help or not. at the least it would make sure your alarm works.

Users who are viewing this thread