Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Reference 93 347 Cobra's "Running a 1/2 Mile event on Saturday. Any suggestions?" thread.

It was a good day (for most) at the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack, held at the Colorado Springs Airport that sits at over 6000ft of elevation. There were a lot of great runs by a wide variety of cars but, Lamborghinis and GT-Rs ruled the day. A number of them repeatedly exceeded 200 MPH, but the day's 225MPH record was set by OB Prestige Auto's 2000HP Lamborghini TT. One of the Supras blew its engine, while one of the GT-Rs ended up with what looked like an exhaust fire that damaged the car's rear-end.

Three of us from the local Shelby Club raced in the PRO AM (i.e., no formal time slips) lanes. (We relied on GPS for speed readings.) I made 8 passes throughout the day, with trap speeds ranging from 152MPH to 160MPH. My friend with a 2011 GT500 made ~6 passes, with trap speeds ranging from 141MPH to 159MPH. My other friend with a 2014 Super Snake also made ~6 passes, but was unable to beat his 167MPH performance at last year's event. Unsurprisingly, heat dissipation and traction were the biggest problems we encountered.

Here are a few still photos...

IMG_0002_zpsivwnnuka.gif

IMG_0005_zpsefszzwsb.gif

IMG_0007_zpsq2jdqid4.gif

IMG_0017_zpsgp2qxrap.gif

IMG_0012_zpsbhfysoq9.gif

20150626_152628_zpstdv6becv.gif

EDIT: My son shot a few videos with his phone. Here's a copy of my final, and second fastest, run of the day....
th_0626151449%20new_zpsicgrtouo.gif

Good luck to 93 347 Cobra tomorrow!

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Awes runs, glade you had fun, 1/2 mile events are awesome. What mph did you start at?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
We had a great time!

The implementation of "roll racing" here simply meant you could start from several yards behind the line, so our runs were more what I'd consider as being from a dig, rather than a true roll.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Just closed escrow on a house in Colorado Springs. Glad to know that there's a few enthusiasts nearby.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Great runs Norton, what are your mods? Sounds like a great day.
Thanks! I've done numerous appearance mods but, unless you consider my JLT resonator delete tube and Airaid SynthaMax Filter performance mods, my car remains stock from that perspective. (It's still running its original factory tune, which has been unchanged since I drove it off the showroom floor.)

Just closed escrow on a house in Colorado Springs. Glad to know that there's a few enthusiasts nearby.
Excellent! Yes, there are many enthusiasts in the area. Drop me a PM after you get settled here - we'll get you connected with at least some of them...

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks! I've done numerous appearance mods but, unless you consider my JLT resonator delete tube and Airaid SynthaMax Filter performance mods, my car remains stock from that perspective. (It's still running its original factory tune, which has been unchanged since I drove it off the showroom floor.)

Excellent! Yes, there are many enthusiasts in the are. Drop me a PM after you get settled here - we'll get you connected with at least some of them...

Will do. I have to break the suction that is Italy, and of course find a job in COS. Not sure how soon that will happen.....

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I'm back home and have a free minute finally. If I had to sum it up in one sentence it would be "The most fun you can have with your clothes on". Event was awesome! Met many cool people from many different brands. DA was terrible at 9k+ feet and that was when the temp was in the lower 80s, it was creeping on 90 before I left. My best run of the day was 145.9 on the Pro course with official timers. On the Pro/Am course with no official timers I could run well into 5th with my 3.73s but I have no idea on terminal velocity as I wasn't logging it, I assume the Pro/AM course was a bit longer than the precisely measured 1/2 mile of the Pro Course because I got well into 5th each time.

1st run: got smoked by Huracan from a dig (he wouldn't agree to a roll, can't say I blame him) but I trapped almost identical at 145.9 which was my best of the day. I skated all over the lane in 1st and 2nd on the GYs

2nd run: Immediately after 1st run I ran a C6 ZR1 from a 40 roll and took him by 3mph 141 to 138 and about 2-3 cars. We rolled for a bit until we got side-by-side and nailed it just before the flags for the rolls which explains the lower MPH.

3rd run: Got smoked by a GTR from a dig. It was ugly, 10-15 cars.

4th run: Raced same GTR immediately from a 40 roll got him by 4-5 cars. Cool owner.

5th run: Raced heavily modded ZL1 from a dig. Event staff triggered light while I was still putting on my helmet so he was way gone by the time I launched. Car was cooled off and making great power. Got so out of shape in 2nd had to get out of it entirely to straighten it out, had a passenger, and still ran 145. This run could've been 147-148 with better tires.

6th run: Ran same ZL1 from a 50-roll. He just pulled off and ran away by 6-8 cars. Talked to him afterwards 850 flywheel at sea level. It had at least a big cam and a cage from my initial impression so probably head work and increased boost also.

7th run: Funnest run of the day. Car was heat-soaked and it was hot so I pulled to the Pro Am line. I was hoping to catch this curiously painted ZL1 with a seemingly cocky owner. No such luck but then a beautiful metallic orange Z06 pulled forward to run. I was giving a random teeanger a ride who had asked. Z06 owner wanted to back up to the very edge of the track. We were neck and neck at the start, both spinning. Then my car hooked and I put 2 cars on him. My shifts were lightning quick and I held 2-3 cars until about 140 when he started creeping back on me. We finished the run somewhere north of 155 with him on my back bumper then we shut down. He was cool as hell and we both were grinning ear to ear. He definitely wasn't cammed so I assume no head work either. Intake and tune at most, but then again I was heat-soaked.

My 3.73's were moderately whining on the way home and I'll report back this next week how bad the whine is after the car has a chance to sit overnight.

If you have a GT500 and you're not running these events you're missing out BIG TIME!

Users who are viewing this thread