Piece Together Procharger or Other Centri Kit?

Jdm351

Established Member
I have been looking at piecing together a supercharger kit for my car. I just cannot get over the $6k new kit expense. Maybe a used complete kit is the way to go for ~4k, but just for discussion, here is what I have found and/or estimated. I pieced together a kit for my old 2000 Mustang in a similar fashion. Also, I have the SCT Pro Racer package for my car so I may tune it myself.

$1500 Procharger P1SC standard rotation head unit (used, add $700 for new)
$725 Mounting bracket assembly (new)
$100 Custom Air inlet and Filter (new)
$200 Intercooler aluminum pipe kit (universal, new)
$150 Blowoff Valve (used)
$50 MAF Flange
$200 Intercooler (CX Racing 3" in/out, new)
$200 47 lb/hr Ford Racing Injectors (used)
$300 Crank Pulley Assembly (new)
$3425 Total

OR

$1500 Vortech V-3 CCW (used, add $700 for new)
$1075 Mounting bracket assembly
$100 Custom Air inlet and Filter (new)
$200 Cooling system modification kit
$200 Intercooler aluminum pipe kit (universal, new)
$150 Blowoff Valve (used)
$50 MAF Flange
$200 Intercooler (CX Racing 3" in/out, new)
$200 47 lb/hr Ford Racing Injectors (used)
$3675 Total

I have seen used head units closer to $1k and used injectors for more like $150 so there is definitely a +/- to the estimate. Plus, if you use a vortech V-2, you can find those for well under $1k, which would bring the whole thing down close to or under $3k.

One nice thing would be the ability to spread the cost over time by accumulating parts. The only big expense would be the head unit.

Jdm351

Established Member
add expansion tank and electric fan assembly to the procharger and D1 head upgrade

I was trying to mimic the basic stage 1 which I don't believe uses either the expansion tank or fan assembly. It has entry and exit from the intercooler on the driver's side. I know this is not going to make 600 rwhp necessarily, but I am only looking for 500-525. Hell, I can't hook on on the street with <400 rwhp with 3.31 gears in first and second gear. I might have to try some 2.79s...;-)

dennisn

Established Member
Me personally would never spend let's say your 3675 on a used pieced together kit when you can get brand new kit with the id1000's for under 5000. For its not worth the risk to only save that. And I can almost guarantee you'll be into more than that with misc hose/clamps etc......

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
yep, our custom packages are a great value, and if you don't want the ids, we can work something on just a kit.

i have a black and satin kit in stock (paxton 2200) ready to ship

4VFTW

Established Member
I wouldnt put a blower on the car with the goal of 500-525...you're better off with an n/a build, the car will drive better and be more fun.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
still be cheaper to do "than" n/a, especially with that goal, you could have kit, 47s, and tune and be at 5k, be around 550 wheel

Last edited:

Jdm351

Established Member
still be cheaper to do n/a, especially with that goal, you could have kit, 47s, and tune and be at 5k, be around 550 wheel

I don't see how I could go NA for that money and make 525 rwhp. I'm not even sure I have seen 525 rwhp NA dyno yet. Especially to drive 70 miles per day.

Jdm351

Established Member
I think he meant to put a "than" in there......cheaper THAN n/a

Yes, I missed that.

Whether used kit or pieced together, I like the whole NA VS FI argument.

A basic centri kit with a good tire and sub 1.6 60 foot will easily run 10s. If not, then you are doing it wrong. NA build without weight reduction is going to be low 11s. It's a no brainer for me. Just a matter of how to do the most cost effective unnatural aspiration.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
It's not worth piecing a kit together when you can find complete used kits for good prices...

Also, you'll get board with anything less then 600whp on our heavy cars. You also need better tires and not less gear, 3.31's are great with a stick.

Jdm351

Established Member
It's not worth piecing a kit together when you can find complete used kits for good prices...

Also, you'll get board with anything less then 600whp on our heavy cars. You also need better tires and not less gear, 3.31's are great with a stick.

i think you guys are right on the complete used kit. And the beefcake option is very affordable too.

However, if I could get a steal on a v2 for like $600, that would pull my total down under $3k and be pretty tempting. The supercharger kit isn't magic. It's still just a box of parts packaged by the supercharger company. I would just be picking which parts go in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread