Picking up a 2003 Mach 1

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Hey guys, been a few years since iv been on here but I'm getting back into another mustang soon...it's a 2003 Mach 1, 33k miles...mods are CAI, mass air flow, exhaust, alminium driveshaft, 4.10 gears and a SCT Tune...I used to own a 2003 cobra, and this car just feels faster under 100 mph, but the cobra takes the cake after that...so any more mods you guys would suggest I look into? This is my first Mach 1 and I wanna do it up right

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Welcome. Want to do it right? Eaton swap, full exhaust and dyno tune would be my suggestion. Then reared build/gears, suspension and tires to match what you want it to do. A little more info about how the car will be used would help.

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
It will be my weekend/fun car. What exactly do you mean by eaton swap? I know the motors are the same basically just the supercharger and t56 being in the cobra

Stang Lover

Established Member
Longtubes suspension blower. You'll like those 4.10 a lot they'll keep you in the power band.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
It will be my weekend/fun car. What exactly do you mean by eaton swap? I know the motors are the same basically just the supercharger and t56 being in the cobra

The pieces of the engine that are the same between cobras and mach 1 are the crank, heads/cams. Cobras have an iron block and mach 1 have aluminum. Cobras have forged rods/pistons and mach 1 do not. Cobra compression is 8.5:1 and mach 1 is 10.1:1.

Eaton swap is getting the cobra blower on the Mach 1 engine. A lengthy process but very much worth it. If you want more information about it or the Mach 1 in general, mach 1 registry dot com will be a huge help. The Mach subforum is a bit weak here at times.

clc44

Established Member
There's actually a kit for the Eaton swap. I can't think of the name of the company. Mach 1 registry will give you all the information you need. I had an 04 Mach. I loved when I added long tubes. Cams are a great mod if you have full exhaust. I felt it fell flat over 6k. Good cams will help that. Shkn had his 03 Mach trapping high 11x with full bolt ons and cams.
http://youtu.be/Rra-t0C2udA

Copy his build lol. He eventually went Eaton though.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
yup i also vote Eaton swap. its a lot of fun. the compression and boost is great, and they usually run really well. should put you about with a pulley/light port terminator. mine trapped 121 in the 1/4 mile with a stock pulley

Planter

Banned
The pieces of the engine that are the same between cobras and mach 1 are the crank, heads/cams. Cobras have an iron block and mach 1 have aluminum. Cobras have forged rods/pistons and mach 1 do not. Cobra compression is 8.5:1 and mach 1 is 10.1:1.

Eaton swap is getting the cobra blower on the Mach 1 engine. A lengthy process but very much worth it. If you want more information about it or the Mach 1 in general, mach 1 registry dot com will be a huge help. The Mach subforum is a bit weak here at times.

do you have to do the eaton swap in order to put a whipple or a kenne bell on?

do you need to do the eaton swap to run a procharger f1a?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
do you have to do the eaton swap in order to put a whipple or a kenne bell on?

do you need to do the eaton swap to run a procharger f1a?

To run a kb or whipple you have to eaton swap. What you're doing is making your Mach 4.6 drive a blower system like a terminator 4.6 could.

kb, many years ago, made a 2.1L setup specifically for the Mach 1 timing cover/belt drive system. They stopped making them when ford stopped producing terminator lower intake manifolds (these were necessary for the kit). There are very few of these kits out there and they limit you to that one kb blower. Not a corner I would ideally back myself into.

Procharger and vortech make kits specifically for Mach 1. You do not have to eaton swap to run one of these kits. But I'd think hard about an f1 on a relatively stock mach. That's a large blower that will have to be spun very hard to make it an efficient power adder and will make lots of boost when spun like it needs to be. A stock Mach won't handle that for long and it would be an unresponsive setup at usable engine speeds on the street. A d1 is probably the best for a Mach making 500-700rwhp and not wanting to give up all the low engine speed power. A p1 is another good one for a street car but most upgrade to a d1 eventually and end up wishing they had started with the d1. If you're content with 500 and below then the p1 isn't a bad piece at all.

Having said all of this, I still urge people to research the registry thoroughly. And by research, I mean wear the search button the F out. The information is there, just dig it up.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the p1 to D1 upgrade is like $1200 or so, if I was doing it over again Id just buy the D1 kit from the start (used they dont go for that much more than the P1s it seems) if you have any thought of going built later. My D1 car made 715 on E85 on 15psi and we were not being aggressive with it either. The blower still has 6-7k rpm left in it, which Im guestimating would put it up closer to 20psi, so long as IATs are controlled I bet that would put it damned close to 800 on e85

Planter

Banned
oh if I was going to run a procharger f1a, the engine would be built to the gills. Eventually I plan to go with a cushman motorsports forged shortblock, return style fuel system and built rearend, but I'm kind of waffling on what blower system I want...whipple or f1a. haven't made up my mind yet. doing research and weighing options.

Users who are viewing this thread