Picked up a 99 Cobra this past weekend

philly99SVT

Took a ~4hr roadtrip to pick her up this past weekend. She's definitely not without her quirks that ive discovered:
  • ABS light is on
  • Fuel gauge seems wonky, shows full then will drop to empty and click the fuel light on, shaking the back of the car seems to reset it so it looks like i have a fuel sensor replacement in my future.
  • Windshield wipers wont do intermittent, only low/high.
  • Interior needs some cleanup, i'd like to fully swap it over to black anyway.
So it looks like ive got some deep dives in the forums here in my future to solve these issues.
I picked her up as a project for the little guy in the pic to help with, and the price definitely reflected having some issues, but the engine seems strong and the body is very clean. Top folds quick and does not leak (the first hour of my drive was in heavy rain).

Came with a bunch of modifications already, CAI, TB, X-pipe, solid rear swap w/ 3.73 gears, H&R springs, and what was listed as a Borla exhaust but i cant find a borla label on it anywhere. The exhaust is a little loud for my taste so i would like to sell/trade for something a tad quieter but i havent yet been able to verify what is actually on it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

shurur

Established Member
Is that a GT or aftermarket hood?
And
The Seats look like the better '01 Recaro seats.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks nice. I see 03 mirrors. Does it have the amber tails?
Has the car had some repaint work done

philly99SVT

Is that a GT or aftermarket hood?
And
The Seats look like the better '01 Recaro seats.
I believe its a GT hood. The for-sale ad had a 4" cowl hood on it but the fitment looked terrible so the guy offered to swap an oem hood onto it instead.

As for the seats, he said that he has swapped in 03/04 front & rear seats, along with an 03/04 center console. But i guess they could be 01 seats, i wasnt aware there was a difference.

philly99SVT

Looks nice. I see 03 mirrors. Does it have the amber tails?
Has the car had some repaint work done
They were listed as 03 folding mirrors. The driver's side glass rattles pretty bad in the housing so thats one of the things i need to look at first is whether it can be re-secured inside the mirror or if i need a whole new mirror.

It does have the amber tails (y)

I dont think it has had paint work done to it yet, the hood has some fading on it but overall everything looks ok. A full repaint is in the plans in the future once we get some more minor cosmetic improvements done, theres a few rust spots i need to touch up.

SVT Adam

Established Member
Definitely 01 seats, but from the limited pictures and the minor issues you've desribed, it sounds like the perfect project for you and your little guy. Hope you continue this thread with updates!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
They were listed as 03 folding mirrors. The driver's side glass rattles pretty bad in the housing so thats one of the things i need to look at first is whether it can be re-secured inside the mirror or if i need a whole new mirror.
There's a piece of foam that goes behind the glass where it clips to the motor. You might be able to search for the thread on it that used to be on here. A guy made replacements from something he found at Michael's I believe. He never divulged what it exactly was, but I'm sure you could find it locally.

philly99SVT

Definitely 01 seats, but from the limited pictures and the minor issues you've desribed, it sounds like the perfect project for you and your little guy. Hope you continue this thread with updates!
Thanks, as soon as it's out of the 40's and stops raining we're both impatiently waiting to tear into it.

Users who are viewing this thread