Pi Intake Swap Info

Nick Aaron

Established Member
Looking to Pi Intake Swap my GT - 98, 156k miles but taken care of. I've researched this ALOT over the past week, I feel I have it grasped enough to give it a shot. My questions that still bug me though are:

1. My cars current leaking manifold has an aluminum crossover - can i easily (like just unbolt and bolt back up) this one to the new pi intake so both sensors are recognized? I don't want coolant lights on or fans never working. And I don't have time to drill and tap. Do I need RTV on it after I would swap crossovers or will everything be fine just bolted back up?

2. Will the alternator bracket included with the 2001 pi intake hold my alternator up on my 98?

3. RTV High Temp Silicone is whats supposed to be used - I've seen the videos, most just one blob in each corner of water jackets. Should I extend it and put more or in other areas with a pi intake gasket? I don't want leaks, whole point of getting this new one.

4. Just changed out my upper rad hose the other week - a standard 98 GT hose - will this work fine and reach?

5. I plan to get a PI Intake off amazon with gasket included and molded on for a 2001 GT (not the ford FRPP expensive brand) but not the shitty dorman crap ...will this be fine?

5. Using original thermostat housing (will this be ok?)

Gonna get a new water pump w o ring, PI Nipple, PI Coolant Tube, etc.

I'm using a standard 180 thermostat and new gasket only two weeks old also. I can't think of anything else right now but my car has 3.73 gears, flowmasters, off road h pipe, short shifter, 275 17 rear tires, 70mm throttle body, BBK CAI, 89-91 octane, tweaks and tunes etc. Oil and filter just changed month and a half ago, fuel filter changed few weeks back.

Any tips or help appreciated.

Last edited:

jaxbusa

Established Member
Can’t answer your questions, but is the car still going to have non pi heads?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Nick Aaron

Established Member
Yes non pi heads with everything I have the intake alone should net at least 15hp or so extra.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
I have a 97 and did the entire PI swap when I rebuilt my motor. Question #1 - It is ok to transfer the crossover. When you reinstall it, make sure to clean and apply Form-A-Seal by Permatex to avoid leaks. #2 Alternator bolts right up. You will be good. #3 Use Hi temp RTV to fill in the boot shape part of the coolant port. Don't get crazy and go all over the head. #4 It is best to buy an original intake. Getting one off a 2001 GT is fine. #5 Original thermostat housing is ok as long as it's in good shape. Good luck

howie8124

Established Member
I have a ford PI intake manifold if you need one. Its already boxed up. I swapped out my PI motor when it blew for another complete PI motor so i broke the old one down for parts.

Nick Aaron

Established Member
Can't seem to send a pm to you - do you still have it? What condition is it if so? And lower price you'd go? I don't want to spend much, been swamped with bills.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
1- They all warp eventually where the crossover attaches to the plastic. So never buy a used plastic intake. Its not mileage that does it but heat and time. I mean if the seller can get you a dead nuts visible picture of both coolant passages where the plastic is totally flush and not warping at all or you can see it in person then maybe... Honestly, just buy a new one from LMR or don't bother. Or maybe even find a used Pro Products all metal one on FB for sale groups. I've found them for cheaper than new plastic intakes multiple times. Don't buy the Dorman from Rockauto. And yes you do have time to drill and tap. Wth, you have time to do a whole intake swap but not 10-15 minutes to drill a 9/16 hole and tap it? Ok...

2- It should but if not you don't even need that bracket, the 2 bolts that hold the alt to the block are more than enough.

3- Use "The Right Stuff" gasket maker, you can find it at any autozone/advance/napa. ONLY put it on the areas that need extra sealant where the coolant passages are. NEVER put RTV on gaskets in other locations, you'll **** something up. This is not a pushrod with paper/cork gaskets.

4- Yes, its the same

5- Yes, its the same

Extra credit - PI cam swap is something else to look into. Or even aftermarket if you have the money. NPI heads are actually really good heads, the power loss is ass cams and ass intake. You swap just to PI cams and PI intake and you are 5-10hp under a normal PI engine. The big power gain from a PI head swap on a NPI bottom is from compression, not the heads themselves, although they are a little bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread