Photo Transformation

Taz

Established Member
I've been doing some photo transformations for friends who want to turn photos of their cars into graphic art. Below are the original that was sent to me and the final after I had finished.

These are just low-res copies suitable for posting in this thread, but the actual final graphic is an 85 MB TIFF suitable for large format printing.

The original ...

SwiperOrigSml.jpg

The final graphic ...

SwiperFinalSml.jpg

What do you think? Shoot me a PM or an email if you'd like a graphic like this of your own ride.

:thumbsup:

Taz

Established Member
Thanks, guys.

It takes me 10 to 12 hours to produce the final graphic. Many intermediate steps required to get from the original photo to the finished product.

You can't really see it with these low-res images, but end result literally jumps off the paper in 3D.

:)

CFRacer22

Established Member
It takes me 10 to 12 hours to produce the final graphic.

you must have just got photoshop...? looks cool, but pretty basic and it shouldn't take near that kind of time to create that result...:shrug:

Taz

Established Member
you must have just got photoshop...? looks cool, but pretty basic and it shouldn't take near that kind of time to create that result...:shrug:

Umm, no. I'm on my 3rd or 4th version of Photoshop. Currently running CS2.

There are just a lot of steps required to get it right, and I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 for some of them, such as multiple light cans.

Taz

Established Member
Here's another one. Just the end result this time ...

rear_rt%20_3qtr.jpg

:thumbsup:

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member

I have to agree. You must have a really slow PC.

The reflections on the bumper and the prominence of the tire kill it for me. Picture of vert doesn't do much either. Its just chopped out and left floating in a gray void - at least the coupe has a shadow to ground it. Seeing original view thru windshield also looks amateur. Easy to tell where it was shot because of over sharpened reflection of the same stadium that is in the first photo.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Looks good, but I agree with others....It doesn't "look" like much more than a chop of the car put onto a colored background with some brightness/lighting effects. 12 hours?

No offense, but I'm sure there is a much faster/easier way to do what your trying to accomplish.

Taz

Established Member
I have to agree. You must have a really slow PC.

The reflections on the bumper and the prominence of the tire kill it for me. Picture of vert doesn't do much either. Its just chopped out and left floating in a gray void - at least the coupe has a shadow to ground it. Seeing original view thru windshield also looks amateur. Easy to tell where it was shot because of over sharpened reflection of the same stadium that is in the first photo.

Thanks for the input.

Tell you what, how about I send the original to you and you show me how it's done?

Either that or shut your pie hole, 'cause I think they look damned good.

So what's it gonna be? Wanna show me how it's done, or wanna STFU?

:fm:

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
Thanks for the input.

Tell you what, how about I send the original to you and you show me how it's done?

Either that or shut your pie hole, 'cause I think they look damned good.

So what's it gonna be? Wanna show me how it's done, or wanna STFU?

:fm:

:pop:

BUstang

Established Member
Am I the only one on not on drugs in here? It literally looks like you cut the car out of the shitty picture, created a grey background, and awkwardly stuck the car in the middle of it with a bit of asphalt showing. What are you trying to accomplish here?

Terrible.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I'm open to suggestions. Got any?

So far all I've gotten from the detractors is criticism.

It depends on what your end goal is...Like I said...No Offense, but it doesn't "look" like you did much.

This is what it looks like I would do from looking at the picture.

Magic wand the car, or magnetic laso the car; copy, open new; paste. Create layer, apply solid color background; adjust brightness/hue/gamma, use a filter if you prefer; move car above background; adjust location and opacity of both layers; trim up the hard lines with eraser; file, save as.

So again, I'm sure you worked hard on it, but the way it looks is "simple".

Hope I didn't sound like a D**K. Just tryin to help.

Taz

Established Member
Am I the only one on not on drugs in here? It literally looks like you cut the car out of the shitty picture, created a grey background, and awkwardly stuck the car in the middle of it with a bit of asphalt showing. What are you trying to accomplish here?

Terrible.

Easy to sit back and take pot shots, isn't it?

I suppose it escapes some that the objective here WAS to remove all the distractions in the background to draw the observer's eye to the vehicle.

How about I make you the same offer I just made the other "expert?" How about I send the original to you and you work your magic on it? Oh, and I'll expect you to turn it around in half the time it takes me to do my second-rate work, since some folks seem to have issues (LOL!) with how long it takes me to do the work.

Come on. Step up. Either that or go snipe somebody else's work.

Users who are viewing this thread