Performance

Darrell64

Hello, I have a 98 svt cobra and its getting on with 90k on it..It seems to run good with no smoke or noises..I know I should do a leak down and compression test first but since I plan on having the motor rebuilt later in the yr ,,I was thinking on a blower set up ..I really would like to get that now so...how many HP would this engine handle with stock internals ..its an everyday car (driver) ?...When I do get the motor rebuilt it will be to stock specs, What supercharger would you recommend ?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
At that milage i would say wait for a rebuild before getting a blower. i would say go with a KB 2.1 blower kit. They really helped with the low end tq on those 96-98 cobras.

Kenne Bell 2.1L Blowzilla 1996-1998 4V Cobra Mustang Supercharger Kit

Cobra 1996-1998 | Kenne Bell

seems like limited potential once the motor is built though would be my concern.

Whatever the power goal is on the built motor I would buy a blower to suit that and then use the appropriate pulley to keep the boost down (and/or limit RPM until built). I know the 99/01 Cobra and Mach1s 450ish was pretty safe. I don't know what the 98s had for internals.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
seems like limited potential once the motor is built though would be my concern.

Whatever the power goal is on the built motor I would buy a blower to suit that and then use the appropriate pulley to keep the boost down (and/or limit RPM until built). I know the 99/01 Cobra and Mach1s 450ish was pretty safe. I don't know what the 98s had for internals.

After reading the OP use it seems like its a DD. So i would assume the car isnt gonna be setup for big power. But a rebuild with some added compression could make over 400hp easy with that blower. Had a friend with a 96 cobra that made mid upper 300s to the wheels on stock motor. Car would still be great for everyday driving.

Users who are viewing this thread