Performance wagons

Dusten

Established Member
Let me start this off by saying cheap is key.

So I was looking at 05-06 legacy gt wagons.
I had also looked at the 05-07 Volvo v70r, but maintenance issues scared me.

So I ask the people of svtp, what other performance wagons exist in the 10-15k range?

Not hatches. I have a hatch and want a wagon.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't make fun, but I have a Buick tourx and it is a nice car. Has a tune that supposedly puts it up to 300/350. Moves good, better than the subie I suspect. Not sure if you can find one in that price range since 2018 is the first year.

Dusten

Established Member
I would look into the old road master or caprice wagons, they have a v8 and rear wheel drive. My dream wagon is the Volvo T-5r, they had a right hand drive automatic on BAT a week ago.
V8 and rear drive doesn't equal performance. Those things drive like a ****ing couch. My buddy has one.

Dusten

Established Member
Don't make fun, but I have a Buick tourx and it is a nice car. Has a tune that supposedly puts it up to 300/350. Moves good, better than the subie I suspect. Not sure if you can find one in that price range since 2018 is the first year.

Not bad looking. Way over budget. I am basically looking to get into something without a payment after selling my focus.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I always liked the Magnum SRT8. They are about 15 years old now so probably difficult to find with decent miles. Especially since they didn't make very many.

Edit: So after posting this I did a quick search and hot damn. These things have gone way up in value since I last looked a couple years ago. Doubt you'd find any SRT8 in your price range.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Not bad looking. Way over budget. I am basically looking to get into something without a payment after selling my focus.
Kind of figured. Mine is probably the highest mileage (110k) in the country and carvana was at $18k.

Keep in mind these things are like a cult and everyone thinks their particular make/model is the best.

I will say the v70s are the shit imo

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
CTS-V, 540, RS6, E63!!!

Oh CRAP...... wait, there is a budget...... Shoot.

Id go Volvo or S4 Avant. I could not drive a Subaru, even a Volvo would be a stretch.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP, its out of your budget and i dont know how WA dmv is, but you have you checked out a c43 amg wagon? Its only for sale in canada. Itd be crazy if you could some how register it.
2019-Mercedes-AMG-C-43-4MATIC-10.jpg

Dusten

Established Member
OP, its out of your budget and i dont know how WA dmv is, but you have you checked out a c43 amg wagon? Its only for sale in canada. Itd be crazy if you could some how register it.
2019-Mercedes-AMG-C-43-4MATIC-10.jpg
I live by the border. There's no sneaking shit in here lol

Kind of figured. Mine is probably the highest mileage (110k) in the country and carvana was at $18k.

Keep in mind these things are like a cult and everyone thinks their particular make/model is the best.

I will say the v70s are the shit imo
The v70r is very cool. But as mileage creeps they have some very expensive failures.

CTS-V, 540, RS6, E63!!!

Oh CRAP...... wait, there is a budget...... Shoot.

Id go Volvo or S4 Avant. I could not drive a Subaru, even a Volvo would be a stretch.
Ya, I know all about those.
I'm sorry I'm not as Boujee as you with my low brow Subaru. I've owned a CTS-V, b8.5 s4 when new, and an e39 540i. I wouldn't own any but the CTS-V in used form again. I want a daily to commute(50 miles round trip) to work and to take my daughter to softball. Not to mention where I work, you don't bring the nice cars. 30,000 people total just at my facility, covering 3 shifts, parking can be a nightmare. I have classic cars. I have a 730hp truck. I just want a beater that I can mob until the new bronco market stabilizes and I can buy one.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Awesome! Zero knock on a Subaru, just not my thing.

Sounds like you have everything covered.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X Sportcombi: $7,000​

1631965263149.png

1631965312843.png

The 2008 Saab Sportcombi performance wagon is among the cheapest, top quality wagons one can get for miles around. It sells for about $7,000 on the used car market. This 2008 model received some main upgrades in its exterior and some small changes in its interior. The front of the car has a distinctive grille that is indicative of the company's origin in aviation. The car's performance is not ideal with other engine variants, except for the 280-horsepower 2.8-liter V6 engine. The vehicle's body stands erected on GM's Epsilon platform, and the handling is quite decent.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another one.

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Wagon: $5,000​

1631965395877.png

The 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Wagon at first glance embodies everything a Mercedes is all about. The simplicity, the class, and the luxury in the interior. While the car's features may no longer be state of the art, it certainly ticks many boxes and is practically a steal at $5,000 in the used car market.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Another one.

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Wagon: $5,000​

View attachment 1720514
The 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Wagon at first glance embodies everything a Mercedes is all about. The simplicity, the class, and the luxury in the interior. While the car's features may no longer be state of the art, it certainly ticks many boxes and is practically a steal at $5,000 in the used car market.
That thing is awesome, but it would scare the shit out of me at the same time.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X Sportcombi: $7,000​

View attachment 1720512

View attachment 1720513

The 2008 Saab Sportcombi performance wagon is among the cheapest, top quality wagons one can get for miles around. It sells for about $7,000 on the used car market. This 2008 model received some main upgrades in its exterior and some small changes in its interior. The front of the car has a distinctive grille that is indicative of the company's origin in aviation. The car's performance is not ideal with other engine variants, except for the 280-horsepower 2.8-liter V6 engine. The vehicle's body stands erected on GM's Epsilon platform, and the handling is quite decent.
I would not touch a Saab with a ten foot pole. There is virtually zero "factory" support, and when I say "factory" support, I mean GM support because that is all GM. Trying to get parts is a shit show and they are expensive as hell if you can find them. Where I work, we are an "Authorized Saab Repair" shop and every time one comes in the door moral in the shop goes in the toilet.
The scan tools are almost obsolete in that there are no updates for anything. We have been waiting for 5 months for a new OBD2 connector end for the Tech2 scan tool. Maybe in November, they say. When I ask the shop foreman for access to the Saab on-line workshop manuals, he just sighs and says use AllData. It is such a hassle to get the system to work. And AllData has limited information as well.
7-8 years ago it was not to bad to get factory support and information for them, but today? Forget it.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As far as "performance" wagons go, find a 78-82 Fairmont wagon and drop a 5.0 in it. It is built on the Fox platform and takes all of the 78-93 Foxbody Mustang chassis/suspension/engine/trans/differential/brakes parts.
Can be a real sleeper. I had a 78 Fairmont with a 2.3L 4 cyl and 4 speed trans stock. Car only weighed 2,700 lbs. Factory aluminum bumpers of all things.
Yes it was a tin can, but I have seen a few that could really move.

Dusten

Established Member
That thing is awesome, but it would scare the shit out of me at the same time.
A $5000 amg sounds like a nightmare. The E55 is cool. But I'll pass.
Not really a sport wagon but a 2005-11 5 series wagon might also be something to look for. Just that if anything went wrong expect to pay the BMW tax for replacement parts.
I had considered one. But after dealing with an e39 I don't want to work on bmw's anymore.
I would not touch a Saab with a ten foot pole. There is virtually zero "factory" support, and when I say "factory" support, I mean GM support because that is all GM. Trying to get parts is a shit show and they are expensive as hell if you can find them. Where I work, we are an "Authorized Saab Repair" shop and every time one comes in the door moral in the shop goes in the toilet.
The scan tools are almost obsolete in that there are no updates for anything. We have been waiting for 5 months for a new OBD2 connector end for the Tech2 scan tool. Maybe in November, they say. When I ask the shop foreman for access to the Saab on-line workshop manuals, he just sighs and says use AllData. It is such a hassle to get the system to work. And AllData has limited information as well.
7-8 years ago it was not to bad to get factory support and information for them, but today? Forget it.
Appreciate the heads up. I was debating one just last night.
As far as "performance" wagons go, find a 78-82 Fairmont wagon and drop a 5.0 in it. It is built on the Fox platform and takes all of the 78-93 Foxbody Mustang chassis/suspension/engine/trans/differential/brakes parts.
Can be a real sleeper. I had a 78 Fairmont with a 2.3L 4 cyl and 4 speed trans stock. Car only weighed 2,700 lbs. Factory aluminum bumpers of all things.
Yes it was a tin can, but I have seen a few that could really move.

Daily driver. A) I don't mod daily drivers, at all. B) I ****ing hate fox bodies. With a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread