performance problems after catch can install

Husky44

Established Member
Installed my Bob's Catch Can this evening. Backed the car out of the garage, left it idling while I ran to grab something out of my truck. Car was idling at high idle (cold start), then suddenly fell off to about 600 rpm and started stumbling badly. I jumped in, tapped the gas, and it hesitated, then jumped back up to normal throttle response, so long as I kept enough throttle to keep it above idle. Foot off the gas, and it would resume the 600 rpm stutter. Other thing I could notice was that A/F stayed pegged at 20 unless I wound it up to 3500 or more, then only dropped to 16. I hadn't watched this reading religiously, but from what I did observe, it tended to stay around 14, unless I let off after a hard pull, when it would briefly wind up to 20 then settle back down after a second or two to 14.

Drove it around the block to see if it would clear up, and it would run fine above about 1500 rpm, but would hesitate and miss if I let RPMs drop. Shut it off, and restarted (always works with computers!), and no change.

Pulled back into the garage, bypassed the CC, and car ran fine. May have been a little rough at first startup, but essentially idled fine and A/F readings dropped to normal (as I described above) soon enough that I felt safe Togo for a drive. Did a 5 mile loop, car ran fine.

Any ideas what happened?

Air temp is around 36 degrees. All other gauges were normal. No change in fuel I was running. 2300 miles.

7ONE7

B737 DRVR
Established Member
I think I have seen another thread on this. Make sure you have the drain valve in the closed position, otherwise you will be introducing air downstream of the MAF.

Husky44

Established Member
I think I have seen another thread on this. Make sure you have the drain valve in the closed position, otherwise you will be introducing air downstream of the MAF.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!:banana::banana::banana:

Thanks. Man I love the internet. I threw this post up real quick while I ate dinner, before I went back to the garage and started digging around.

I had opened the valve to make sure I didn't have clearance issues with the A/C line. Got distracted and forgot to close it.

Thanks! Now I can go play!

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
lol glad you got it figured out. This place is awesome isn't it? lol

7ONE7

B737 DRVR
Established Member
DING! DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!:banana::banana::banana:

Thanks. Man I love the internet. I threw this post up real quick while I ate dinner, before I went back to the garage and started digging around.

I had opened the valve to make sure I didn't have clearance issues with the A/C line. Got distracted and forgot to close it.

Thanks! Now I can go play![/QUOTE

What did I win.....?

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Glad you got this worked out...Still won't mod my car like this until after warranty. I still ask myself why they don't just include these from the factory.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Great, too bad you voided your warranty.

J/k, will install one when mine arrives!

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
Yep, that was me. Same thing happened here. Opened it during install to check clearance, etc. Forgot to close.

san6279

Established Member
Glad you got this worked out...Still won't mod my car like this until after warranty. I still ask myself why they don't just include these from the factory.

Depending on how much you drive the car there will quite a bit of oil downstream by that time. Probably not the end of the world. I've heard guesses they aren't factory installed because many owners would not take the time to drain and consider it a hassle. Would be a cool option to offer at a minimum.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Depending on how much you drive the car there will quite a bit of oil downstream by that time. Probably not the end of the world. I've heard guesses they aren't factory installed because many owners would not take the time to drain and consider it a hassle. Would be a cool option to offer at a minimum.
YES PERFECT IDEA!!! If this were an option that would be included in the warranty, that would be the way to get me to install it or rather have it installed.

Husky44

Established Member
For this to void the warranty, dealer is going to have to prove that the part(s) failed due to lack of crankcase gasses (or more correctly, the wrong concentration of hydrocarbons in the gasses) flowing through the intake. That will be tough for them to prove.

If this voids my warranty, then I'm really not to concerned about keeping my warranty, because using the car would void it.

Users who are viewing this thread