People who use DIRECTV, thinking of switching

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Im thinking of switching from our local provider which isnt bad but overpriced to DIRECTV. Is there any real downfall to having DIRECTV? I can get everything plus more than what we have now for less money at the regular price pass the promotional price. Is it a good company to go with for television?

dom418

Established Member
Isn't Direct Tv owned by AT&T? That may be a good thing for you. My folks have it and besides the typical issues there are with satellite reception in poor weather, they are happy.

I just keep switching companies and go with who offers the best promos

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Yes they are. I have AT&T for my cellular service so I get an additional $10 a month off my bill if I switch to DIRECTV. Is the issues still real bad with the weather and satellites? I never used a satellite set up before, all of our stuff now is buried and using fiber optics.

Panic661

Established Member
Depends on where you are in the country. Line of sight is obviously a big deal, so if the dish isn't peaked optimally or can't be, then there may be an issue. In Commiefornia I've never had an issue. I have heard that if you spray something like PAM or w/e on the dish it helps keep snow from piling up on it (don't know if it's true or not.)

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Upstate, NY here and I've never had a problem with Directv as far as weather, service or programming. Even after my promotional period expired and my bill shot up in only took one call to their customer service hot line to get my bill lowered $20 a month.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I had them...just be prepared for the 2nd year bill to be significantly higher than they say it will be. Service was meh...can't count how many times we would go to watch one of our DVR'd shows that wasn't fully recorded because of 'interrupted service' because of a 'storm'.

I would've kept them if they would've worked with me on the 2nd year price (all I wanted was the price I was quoted), so I left. I STILL get calls from them to re-join, and they'll even throw in a $200 Visa cash card after 6 months of continued service!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
we switched last year and overall its been fine. When we have a bad Fl storm its gonna go out though. Most of the time we still can watch our shows online when that happens, only issue we had was not being able to watch some sporting events live online when we had weather issues.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I've had it for over 3 years and it has maybe gone out... never. That's during snow storms, rain storms. There have been occasional disruptions but it's never went out to where you can't watch anything, other than having to reset the SWIM adapter for the genies.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Been with them 5 years now. I play the game and call once a year and threaten to cancel. Always gets the bill dropped back down.

Only service issues I've had are when weather is bad enough we should be seeking shelter.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I cancelled Directv after having it for 4 months. It was the worst service, worst guide compared to Comcast, Dish, etc.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Have had it for around 15-16 months now. Maybe had an interruption in service twice, during severe weather, but even then it was only a loss of the HD channels for like 30 minutes

My options are limited at my house, as some small shitty cable company owns the rights or some shit to the area.

No complaints about Direct though. Good CS, fast install etc.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Been with them 5 years now. I play the game and call once a year and threaten to cancel. Always gets the bill dropped back down..
This. I just had my bill dropped again.

Their service plan is awesome! Had an old TV crap (older 58" Plasma Samsung non Smart) out on me (TV works great, HDMI ports however don’t), called, paid $50, and got a brand new BIGGER Smart LED TV to replace it . I also got to keep the older one which I can still use via component cables. Once I received the new TV, I canceled the service.

Their customer service is better than TWC which I still have for internet and Home Intelligence. Havent had a bad issue at all with the satellites. I might drop it though because I hardly use it nowadays but if you use it, I would highly recommend it. The new Genie boxes are MUCH better and not as laggy as the 1st gen.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I really enjoyed my experience with DirecTV. After your promotional rebates end, make sure you call up and ask for discounts because they are very willing to give them to people who ask. I was very pleased with their customer service.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I'm in the same boat, thinking about switching to DirectTV. But seriously, don't all the companies have bad customer service?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i have direct tv now, used to have at&t for about 3 years, and worked for them as a prem tech. they're trying to free up more bandwidth for verse which is why they are pushing direct so much.i did the switch because i saved about $50 a mth and ended up with way better picture quality, $100 gift card, and some features we ended up liking over uverse. both are great services and we are pretty happy with our setup.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I'm in the same boat, thinking about switching to DirectTV. But seriously, don't all the companies have bad customer service?

I once got $150 off my bill because their computer system was down for about an hour while I was on the line with them. He ended up saving me like $40 off my bill, got free Sunday Ticket Max ($350), and got a free extra wireless receiver. Their "loyalty department" has amazing customer service.

nxhappy

Established Member
I have them right now but I am cancelling soon. No more TV bills for me. Keeping an amazon fire stick and tv antennae.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Parents have it, hate it. They had to buy a weather radio since the Satellite goes out every time it storms.

Users who are viewing this thread