People in hot weather states...

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Do your cars run like....dog shit? lol. Took my car to vegas for the first time earlier this week during some 100-105* weather. Im well aware this is no performance weather but my 2011 just did not feel happy at all haha. My cobra didnt seem to change much in performance and response back when i was in that. Im not one to drive the piss out of a car in some good heat but it was definitely noticeable while cruising. Is this the sensitive processor pulling back timing to prevent pinging or was the car truly about to off itself haha. Made me not wanna do that trip again. Granted its under warranty but i still dont want to hurt it. Just curious. Cars fine back in good ol SoCal feeling like a beast again :beer:

r.barn

Established Member
Yes, you notice a huge gain in "peppiness" when the temps drop down into the 60's and 50's. Hot is the normal, so its not so much you notice a loss of power, that you notice a nice gain on the few days its cold out.

DerekDTP!

Established Member
I live in FL.. the humidity and heat makes my car feel like a big pile of donkey shit. Really noticed a big gain in the winter time with my cobalt, being turbo'd, thats expected. Haven't had the 5.0 through cooler temps, at night when its cooler, its deff more peppy and runs smoother, doesn't seem to choke as much, can't wait till fall, ready to hit the track.

mikestoyz

Established Member
The other day I left for work and it was down to 75 degrees. Felt like a totally different car. I cannot wait until cold weather!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Outside temp of MI a few days ago was around 101° and my iat's were around 105°'s. I did a second gear pull and damn.. my car liked the warmer weather. The car gripped and pulled straight to redline

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i donno bout driving hard here in cali in death valley b/c im too scared to try it lol. it was like 113 a few days ago and i didnt even turn on the a/c when i drove b/c i didnt want it to fight the heat. i only drove like a mile so the heat wasnt all that bad believe it of not.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Your car will feel like it lost 100hp in the Vegas Summer. Avg D/A is 3500-5000ft if I remember correctly in the summer. Lived there for almost 10yrs.

REPCobra10

Established Member
I live in FL.. the humidity and heat makes my car feel like a big pile of donkey shit. Really noticed a big gain in the winter time with my cobalt, being turbo'd, thats expected. Haven't had the 5.0 through cooler temps, at night when its cooler, its deff more peppy and runs smoother, doesn't seem to choke as much, can't wait till fall, ready to hit the track.

There you are again! +1. My SS/TC would also seemingly gain some new found power during the cooler periods. This past winter down here in S. Florida after I traded it in on my 5.0 wasn't really very cool, so I can't comment on whether or not the 5.0 seemed to pick up a bit more seat-of-the-pants feeling. I imagine it would though.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Your car will feel like it lost 100hp in the Vegas Summer. Avg D/A is 3500-5000ft if I remember correctly in the summer. Lived there for almost 10yrs.

dont even get me started about our DA here in Denver, 10,000+ft. If you want to know what a 104mph coyote feels like, come on up here, lol.

BV600

Established Member
Damn I feel bad for you hot weather guys. Ill be moving to Texas in a couple months.
Here its high 50s to mid 60s, its supposed to warm back up to the 70s though.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
My car hauls ass in all weather. Sure, it is down in the Louisiana summer...but it still pulls quite judiciously despite the heat and humidity. Still enough oomph to destroy the tires on a second gear roll anytime I want.

Mike

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
I'd say my car runs better when its hot just due to the fact that I get more traction on the crappy 255 pzeros when its on warmer pavement ;-)

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I am in South Florida and could not believe the difference in response on the few cool nights we had this year. I really regret not taking her to the track on these nights. Now it is hot as bawls in July! I think I am going to add some liquid atmosphere to the mix :) (nawz).

M3_Dust

Established Member
I'm in Phoenix and it has been a particularly nasty summer, it's usually 105 by noon, my car has been great and feels plenty strong, temps are in-check. I'm sure it will feel extremely fast in the winter when it's in the 60's. My previous 4 cars were much more adversely affected by the heat with noticeable power-loss (3 M3's and a turbocharged BMW), this coyote seems great in all conditions.

*edit-I'm sure the oil cooler and bigger radiator are helpful too :)

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dyno your car in 90 degree+ weather and then do it again in 50-60 degree weather. I did this once and there was a difference of 12rwhp. Enough to feel. Your cars hate hot summer heat. LOL! You'll notice the difference even more in 30-40 degree weather.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It's even an issue up here in good 'ol Kansas.

My understanding is that heat and humidity affect the "DA" which makes it seem like you are at a higher elevation than normal?

For example, the DA here on Monday at 4pm was 4200 feet with a relative Density of 88.3%. Last time I ran at the track, the DA was in the 800's.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep it affects all engines.

My ol worn out 92 F250 with 351w came out of the driveway sideways when it dipped down to 68 a few weeks ago, I'm used to keeping it damn near floored in 100+ weather just to get anywhere. (only had the truck for about 3 months and its been down for 2 of em)

S8ER01Z

Established Member
It's even an issue up here in good 'ol Kansas.

My understanding is that heat and humidity affect the "DA" which makes it seem like you are at a higher elevation than normal?

For example, the DA here on Monday at 4pm was 4200 feet with a relative Density of 88.3%. Last time I ran at the track, the DA was in the 800's.

+1... We spend all summer with crap DA... might only hit 90F (this year 90+) but the humidity is always high. To be honest racing at death valley wouldn't be any worse than running in this. I did a few DA calcs and they were pretty comparable. I just wasn't aware the 'feels like' temps could be lower than the actual temp... that's a new one to me.

Users who are viewing this thread