Pennzoil Synchromesh...glad I changed from stock to this!

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I think alot of people want to see a difference so badly that they think they do. Just like doing fuel mileage mods on trucks, if changing out the Air filter would net you 2mpg, don't you think the boys at dodge/ford/chevy would do it at the factory so they could brag up their numbers. All BS.

slvr35th

Established Member
I think alot of people want to see a difference so badly that they think they do. Just like doing fuel mileage mods on trucks, if changing out the Air filter would net you 2mpg, don't you think the boys at dodge/ford/chevy would do it at the factory so they could brag up their numbers. All BS.

Exactly I tried all the mpg things on my f150 and I'm pretty sure it made it worse!!

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Maybe I'm just a unlucky guy though. I have the worst shifting cobra and the worst MPG truck on the planet. Could be?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

That's the wrong fluid for a T56. The proper Amsoil fluid would be

Amsoil Synthetic ATF

Joe (Jomo1994z71), I know you like the Penn synchromesh, but wish you would have chosen the Red Line D4 ATF or Amsoil Syn ATF. I've tried them all, but the Red Line and Amsoil have always shifted better, especially in cold weather.

So many other factors than viscosity alone that go into blending a premium transmission lubricant. Things like base stock, additives, viscosity, etc..

I called Tremec and talked to them and they DO NOT recommend using anything but Mobil1 synthetic ATF fluid

Tremec has only tested Mobil 1 ATF in their transmissions, which is why they don't recommend anything else. It doesn't mean nothing else will work, or is better suited for their transmissions.

Bg is the has the best products on the market. If people aren't running their products in their cars and trucks and are running that s*** you buy from parts store that they like to promote, that are just throwing there money away. Also you get a unitmated mile warrenty if you use there products as recommended, sounds like they think their stuff works.

*Before you read my comments below, please note that I'm not saying BG isn't a good product. I have friends in the auto repair industry that swear by it. This is simply a statement to let those know it's NOT the absolute best product on the market when engine/transmission lubrication is concerned.*

and to those in this thread who are praising BG lubricants, take a seat. I've asked two different BG reps (one local in the Pensacola area) what base stocks were chosen to formulate their engine and transmission lubricants? Both reps told me the same thing, I don't know, but I will ask our tech department. When they both get the answer from the tech department, all they can tell me is, "Sorry, but the techs tell us that it's proprietary information, and they can't allow that information to be released.

Let me clarify that response to everyone on SVTP who hasn't been studying engine lubrication technology for the past six years.

"We are currently using group III "hydrocracked" petroleum in all of our formulations. We want the general population to believe it's group IV PAO and group IV Ester blends, as Mobil 1 and Castrol do, and want to allude our customers into believing they are buying the best base stocks possible in all of our formulations."

Guys, it's simple....if you are using true synthetic base stocks, you would openly admit it, as Royal Purple, Red Line, and Amsoil have.

If you are using group III "hydrocracked" petroleum a.k.a. "fake synthetic" they always tell the customer, "That's proprietary information" With the exception of Pennzoil, they openly admitted they chose group III base stocks in the formulation of their Ultra line of engine lubricants.

*This is unrelated to the T-56, but kinda shocked me about BG reps*

Now, what did one of the BG reps recommend to me when I baited him by asking about his transmission fluid displacement machine. I brought up the question, "What about the filter. You have to drop the pan to change it. Shouldn't you do that before you perform a fluid back flush change?"

His reply....No need, we have an excellent cleaner to take care of the transmission filter. You pour it in the transmission before changing the fluid, give it time to clean the filter, then there is no need to change the filter. He also insisted that mileage on the current filter wasn't a concern.

Oh really now.....LOL

Amsoil ALSO has a cleaner to flush an automatic transmission, but you will also note this press release to all Amsoil customers about transmission filters. It's common sense, durrr!

Amsoil transmission filter TSB

Even some of my auto repair friends say, let's just back flush the system with new fluid. Don't worry about the filter.

No thanks, I'll drop the pan...and change the filter with a partial fluid change. Then we can think about a fluid transfer.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Royal Purple Syncromax has been working great for me for about 5 years now.

We used to tell our service writers NOT TO SELL a trans flush on 95-02 Lincoln Continentals because we had so many plug the screen and start squealing that it was a known issue. The techs(that knew their $#!T) would tell them to sell the filter and fluid drop instead.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I emailed tremec yesterday about pennzoil synchromesh. Although I didn't ask what would be the best to use, thats maybe where I screwed up? I do know my local advance auto stocks this. My car has 22k, and guessing the tranny fluid hasn't been changed. It gives me a reason to be out in the garage, heres what they said.

Hello Brady,

Thank you for your interest in the Tremec Product Line. Yes the Pennzoil Synchromesh is good to use in your application.

Regards,

Rob

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Bdubbs, read the top of my post #89 before pouring in the Pennzoil. I driven a T56 with both fluids, and a robust top tier ATF won the fight every time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Bdubbs, read the top of my post #89 before pouring in the Pennzoil. I driven a T56 with both fluids, and a robust top tier ATF won the fight every time.

Thanks I just read through it. I just get nervous about things,lol. I talked to tremec again. Below is what he said of course, you might be right that they only tested mobil 1.

The only two that I would recommend for your application is the Pennzoil Synchromesh and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks I just read through it. I just get nervous about things,lol. I talked to tremec again. Below is what he said of course, you might be right that they only tested mobil 1.

The only two that I would recommend for your application is the Pennzoil Synchromesh and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Yet again, read my post about Tremec. They only recommend Mobil 1 ATF because that's the only fluid they have tested in their transmission. They only recommend Synchromesh because of others experiences, not their own.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
I changed to this and the difference was night and day. Enough so I wont consider the Anti-Venom mod.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Yes, the thinner top-tier ATF's are the right stuff! Who knows, maybe Tremec had a contract with M1 when they started building the T56, thus the "recommendation".

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Was about to do the change, but notice since the last time I checked this thread there are more post. So is it safe to say that Red Line D4 ATF or Amsoil Syn ATF is "better" than the Pennz syncromesh I was about to go buy before searching the forums?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You are probably fine with all of it. If you look at the viscosities I listed in post #79, the "thinner" ATF's are probably what is best for lubrication and flow (at least in my opinion). If you are a racer, then it is a different story!!

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
I may do the switch to one of the above list in the chart a week before I do some racing at the track. Tranny shifts fine, notchy at times, and I myself hate the 2-3 shift when racing.

Users who are viewing this thread