Pennzoil Platium PurePlus

I don't have any UOA's that I've done but I've been running it in my Cobra for 3 years and in my 4Runner for a year and I've been very pleased - quiet and smooth engine, no makeup oil added, no leaks, etc. Regarding the PQIA link I mentioned, only Pennzoil Ultra and Quaker State Ultimate have a lower NOACK % than PP which is pretty impressive considering there are some big name oils in there like Royal Purple, Lucas, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge.

If you want UOA's for it there are plenty to be found online that look good -

http://www.toyotalexusforum.com/toy...ennzoil-platinum-5w-30-after-4-920-miles.html
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-ge...-used-oil-analysis-uoa-pennzoil-platinum.html
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1084180
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/70-...pennzoil-platinum-5w-20-after-6000-miles.html

I've managed to secure 25 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra from clearance sales at Walmart and the next few oil changes will be with that oil. I doubt I will notice a difference but I guess I'll see.

I hope you know I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Its just that we run motor oil in harsher environments than most cars. And at some point, the UOAs do become a measuring tool to evaluate which oil cuts the mustard and which doesn't.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I hope you know I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Its just that we run motor oil in harsher environments than most cars. And at some point, the UOAs do become a measuring tool to evaluate which oil cuts the mustard and which doesn't.

No worries, I know you had legitimate questions. And yes, I agree UOA's are vital because most oils are adequate for daily commuting and 3000 mile OCI's but far fewer oils are suitable for high rpm forced induction setups. And of course, UOA's often expose oil manufacturers claims about how their oil is superior to the competition.

Cars would be run better and last long if every consumer was as informed as your average SVTP poster. Unfortunately, most consumers pick an oil that is either A.) cheapest or B.) has the best marketing campaign :nonono:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I will stick with my Amsoil

Ditto, me too.

No point in runnin to your local "grab all" outlet to find a premium off the shelf engine lubricant these days. Seems everyone has jumped on the "less expensive" formulation train, yet charging a premium for you to buy it. Those who are not using Amsoil's preferred customer program should be. Change the oil once a year, and forget about the constant struggle of knowing what to buy.

Those of you who reply with, "I can buy brand XYZ in a 5 quart jug for $28.00-35.00" My reply.....you get what you pay for. Trust me, the high NOACK in those formulations will coat the inside of your intake, valves, combustion chamber, etc. I can post photos of what lower quality lubricants will do to the inside of your engine intake system.

The jury is still out on Pennzoil's new Ultra Platinum. So far, spec sheets are all we have to go on, no 3rd party testing for NOACK. From what I posted above, the information we have make no sense. How does 5W-30 have that much more NOACK than it's 10W-30 brother? That's never happened from what I've seen since 2004.

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Ditto, me too.

No point in runnin to your local "grab all" outlet to find a premium off the shelf engine lubricant these days. Seems everyone has jumped on the "less expensive" formulation train, yet charging a premium for you to buy it. Those who are not using Amsoil's preferred customer program should be. Change the oil once a year, and forget about the constant struggle of knowing what to buy.

Those of you who reply with, "I can buy brand XYZ in a 5 quart jug for $28.00-35.00" My reply.....you get what you pay for. Trust me, the high NOACK in those formulations will coat the inside of your intake, valves, combustion chamber, etc. I can post photos of what lower quality lubricants will do to the inside of your engine intake system.

The jury is still out on Pennzoil's new Ultra Platinum. So far, spec sheets are all we have to go on, no 3rd party testing for NOACK. From what I posted above, the information we have make no sense. How does 5W-30 have that much more NOACK than it's 10W-30 brother? That's never happened from what I've seen since 2004.
Pm me some pics if you don't mind

Users who are viewing this thread