Viscosity @40°C : 63.3 cSt
Viscosity @100°C : 10.3 cSt
Viscosity Index : 150
CCS Viscosity @-30°C : 4,150 cP (-25)
MRV Viscosity @-35°C : 8,500 cP (-30)
Noack Volatility : 4.7%
Specifications : API SN, ILSAC GF-5, Chrysler MS-6395, GM
6094M, GM 4718M

Not impressed by the NOACK test on the 5w-30. The 'old' Platinum had a NOACK of 9.3%, they are going backwards.

AutoXRacer

Established Member
Any other 3rd party testing? I am really interested in this oil...

Basically for my new motor I am between Royal Purple 10W-30 or this new PurePlus...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
SAE Viscosity Grade : 10w-30
Density : 0.843 g/cm3
Flash Point : 224°C
Pour Point : -48°C
Viscosity @40°C : 63.3 cSt
Viscosity @100°C : 10.3 cSt
Viscosity Index : 150
CCS Viscosity @-30°C : 4,150 cP (-25)
MRV Viscosity @-35°C : 8,500 cP (-30)
Noack Volatility : 4.7%
Specifications : API SN, ILSAC GF-5, Chrysler MS-6395, GM
6094M, GM 4718M

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W-30 shows a 5.7% NOACK. Since SAE 10W-30 grades seem to have the lowest NOACK (most of the time), this is your benchmark for the newer formulations.

Ultra Platinum 10W-30.pdf

I do not understand how Ultra Platinum 5W-30 has a 6% increase in NOACK (total of 11.5%). That's unheard of.

Ultra Platinum 5W-30.pdf

Even the new 5W-20 formulation specs above 10%. SMH!

Ultra Platinum 5W-20.pdf

Even though Pennzoil uses the GTL process, GTL base oils alone are not viscous enough for use in a passenger car engine. Therefore, more viscous base oils must be blended with them. What they are using for a blend must be where the impurities come from, resulting in higher NOACK. This does not explain their 10W-30 formulation, as it seems to be on par with what I expect from a top tier lubricant.

So, if Ultra Platinum 10W-30 can be easily found on the shelf, it's my new "go to" off the shelf lubricant. Wal Mart currently only lists 5W-20 and 5W-30 (available in stores only), so we shall see. Next time anyone is at your local Wal Mart, look to see if 10W-30 is in stock. That's going to be the winner for UOA testing.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W-30 shows a 5.7% NOACK. Since SAE 10W-30 grades seem to have the lowest NOACK (most of the time), this is your benchmark for the newer formulations.

Ultra Platinum 10W-30.pdf

I do not understand how Ultra Platinum 5W-30 has a 6% increase in NOACK (total of 11.5%). That's unheard of.

Ultra Platinum 5W-30.pdf

Even the new 5W-20 formulation specs above 10%. SMH!

Ultra Platinum 5W-20.pdf

Even though Pennzoil uses the GTL process, GTL base oils alone are not viscous enough for use in a passenger car engine. Therefore, more viscous base oils must be blended with them. What they are using for a blend must be where the impurities come from, resulting in higher NOACK. This does not explain their 10W-30 formulation, as it seems to be on par with what I expect from a top tier lubricant.

So, if Ultra Platinum 10W-30 can be easily found on the shelf, it's my new "go to" off the shelf lubricant. Wal Mart currently only lists 5W-20 and 5W-30 (available in stores only), so we shall see. Next time anyone is at your local Wal Mart, look to see if 10W-30 is in stock. That's going to be the winner for UOA testing.

I've been stopping by the Wal-Marts in different cities and of 5 separate Supercenters, only 1 of them sold Ultra Platinum in 5W-30 and 5W-20 in 5 qt jugs. I did get the last 5 qt jug of the old 5W-30 Ultra that they had for sale.

I still don't understand how they intend to sell this oil when most Wal-Marts and auto parts stores don't have them in stock and online prices are bad due to shipping costs....

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If Pep Boys ever marks down Pennzoil Ultra API SN 10W-30, I will buy their remaining stock. Wal Mart did that, and I scored 14 quarts at 5.00 per quart or less.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is a brief synopsis about GTL published from Amsoil today. I thought it was fitting.

GTL Technology
Pennzoil’s “motor oil reimagined” marketing campaign is based on gas-to-liquid (GTL) base oil technology. Consumers should be aware that GTL technology is simply a process that converts natural gas, obtained by Pennzoil from Qatar, into Group III base oil. Because motor oils are formulated with GTL base oils does not mean they outperform other synthetic formulated oils. There is no magic base oil that elevates one motor oil over all others. It’s the precise combination of quality base oils and additives that defines motor oil performance, and AMSOIL motor oils are built on this foundation.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I was planning on switching my wife's '11 GT to Penzoil Platinum after 100k of dealer serviced Motorcrap. I will be sending Beast the OA for the Motorcrap and the last batch of base 10-40 Royal Purple from my '13 Boss. Local Walmart has the Penzoil Platinum on the shelf, some 5-20 and some 10-30. I'm guessing that even if the new GTL formulation isn't as whoop de doo across all viscosity grades, that it is still about the best Synthetic I'm likely to find at Walmart?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pennzoil Platinum is pretty solid oil. If you are buying from the store and can't get the old Ultra or the new Ultra Platinum, I would consider Mobil 1 Extended Performance or the aforementioned Platinum.

You might have seen this link but shows test results from a bunch of popular synthetic oils - http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013...utm_campaign=March+20,2013&utm_medium=archive

So do you have a UOA to support your claims? I mean we need something to show how your engine has responded and we need some miles on that oil? We just can't take your for it that its a 'pretty solid' oil. At some point these debates come down to...are you actually using it in your own car or just using UOAs from other sites? We need more real world data before making bold claims about oils.

TOOK ME YEARS, before I stopped using the German Castrol version of 0W-30 before switching to Amsoil. I personally was not easily swayed by a simple 'online argument.'

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So do you have a UOA to support your claims? I mean we need something to show how your engine has responded and we need some miles on that oil? We just can't take your for it that its a 'pretty solid' oil. At some point these debates come down to...are you actually using it in your own car or just using UOAs from other sites? We need more real world data before making bold claims about oils.

TOOK ME YEARS, before I stopped using the German Castrol version of 0W-30 before switching to Amsoil. I personally was not easily swayed by a simple 'online argument.'

I don't have any UOA's that I've done but I've been running it in my Cobra for 3 years and in my 4Runner for a year and I've been very pleased - quiet and smooth engine, no makeup oil added, no leaks, etc. Regarding the PQIA link I mentioned, only Pennzoil Ultra and Quaker State Ultimate have a lower NOACK % than PP which is pretty impressive considering there are some big name oils in there like Royal Purple, Lucas, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge.

If you want UOA's for it there are plenty to be found online that look good -

http://www.toyotalexusforum.com/toy...ennzoil-platinum-5w-30-after-4-920-miles.html
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-ge...-used-oil-analysis-uoa-pennzoil-platinum.html
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1084180
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/70-...pennzoil-platinum-5w-20-after-6000-miles.html

I've managed to secure 25 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra from clearance sales at Walmart and the next few oil changes will be with that oil. I doubt I will notice a difference but I guess I'll see.

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
That's the funny thing about 'private stock', one man's wine is another man's vinegar. I had bought 25 qts of Royal Purple that was 'on sale' at Pep Boys, only to find out later it wasn't all it was 'hydro-cracked up to be'. I'm sure it's still good, and I'm using up the rest of it, but will likely be using Amsoil in my Boss and maybe Penzoil in my wife's '11 GT.

Users who are viewing this thread