Pedestrian Bridge collapse in Miami

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just saw this. Horrible.
I heard there were construction workers on the bridge and students walking under the bridge.

jacker1991

Established Member
Yeah, had some friends in 8th street when this happened. Sadly, nobody that was under that thing could have survived.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Likely some jerkoff tried to save a few bucks and used shoddy materials or technique. Hard to imagine the engineering was faulty.

Coiled03

Established Member
Likely some jerkoff tried to save a few bucks and used shoddy materials or technique. Hard to imagine the engineering was faulty.

Considering the structural engineer is usually the one who specs the materials, it's the same thing as the engineering being faulty.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Considering the structural engineer is usually the one who specs the materials, it's the same thing as the engineering being faulty.

The engineering and specs will check out. The construction, materials or methods will be the cause of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the bridge was still under construction? Anyone else hear this?
Was it under a "stress test"?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Horrible tragedy. I feel really sad for the families of those injured or killed. A lot of questions need answers.

verbal

Established Member
I think the bridge was still under construction? Anyone else hear this?
Was it under a "stress test"?

The bridge was just installed on Saturday and the top pedestrian walk was still under construction. Apparently is was made offsite and put in place on Saturday within a couple of hours. They also used some odd materials and technics that made it one of the first bridges of is kind (at least that’s what I heard on the news). My mom works at FIU and parks in the garage next to the bridge. It went up so fast she did not even know there was a bridge there when I called her today.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
An engineering or construction (depending on how turns out to be at fault) in this day in age is inexcusable IMHO. There is design software to prevent these things....heads are gonna roll and there will be a TON of money awarded to the victims families in civil court. Terrible, RIP.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I was talking to an older guy, about 60 or so, who has been an engineer his whole career. He said he instantly figured they were load testing it, and it failed. He said closing a large road like that would be costly, so they didn't...because in theory, it should be fine under a load test.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I was talking to an older guy, about 60 or so, who has been an engineer his whole career. He said he instantly figured they were load testing it, and it failed. He said closing a large road like that would be costly, so they didn't...because in theory, it should be fine under a load test.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm sure the road closure cost would have been minuscule compared to what they will be looking at in the coming months/years.

Users who are viewing this thread