PD cars, Killer Chiller vs upgraded HE

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Looks like similar cost either way, AFCO upgraded heat exchanger with dual fans vs the Killer Chiller. Or if you've got the big bucks, both.

Anybody tried either one and what sort of results over the stock Roush/ FRPP heat exchanger (low temp radiator as they call it)

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I'm still running the stocker, I am interested in the Afco though. Perhaps you can give me some insight on my IATs. I have the aero force gauge and when cruising it'll show only a couple degrees above ambient. Is the gauge telling my the temp Pre intercooled or post intercooled? If its post then as of right now I see no reason to replace, because the temps stayed the same on multiple track passes with almost no cool down.

alex12gt

Established Member
ive been wanting to upgrade the he and think i may go with the standard afco or the steeda and if i need to add fans later i normally stay right at ambient except for nasty hot days and then i can watch the temp clim but in the staging lanes after a run im around 115-125 and as hit the track i go right back down to ambient.....also thought of just adding fans to the stock he

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
ive been wanting to upgrade the he and think i may go with the standard afco or the steeda and if i need to add fans later i normally stay right at ambient except for nasty hot days and then i can watch the temp clim but in the staging lanes after a run im around 115-125 and as hit the track i go right back down to ambient.....also thought of just adding fans to the stock he

Sounds like you're watching IAT, not ACT or IAT2. IAT2 will always climb during a run, no way around it.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i chose the IAT2 since there was no option for ACT. it read 13.98 not sure if that is supposed to read 139.8 or if its not reading anything.

1930ford

Established Member
Just installed a lm3 from Innovate and tied it into the roush IAT. Goint to log temps with and without water/meth to see what it does for IAT, Working on the install of the water/meth this week.

RI_2011_GT

Established Member
I have afco w/o fans.... But never had the Stock one. I probably should have got the fans, but not a daily driver..... I have upgraded my radiator and thermostat.... I also added the Tiger Racing vented hood...

Bud

Established Member
Suck part about the killer chiller is you have to run the car to cool the intercooler, so kind of defeats the purpose on a real hot day doesn't it? You are on E85 now, I say stock HE with an icebox, no sense in adding more weight to the front with a bigger HE and more water.

grnenvy

Established Member
I run a TVS with there heat exchanger. The only difference is I relocated the external water so I could put a huge fan on it. I'm also looking into adding another HE relocated somewhere under the car with cooling. If u look at some of the big doller imports most have multiple radiators and fans.

deepsouthtech

Established Member
FYI to those interested in the AFCO. I had (am having to) trim the shizzle out of my bumper cover for clearance.

alex12gt

Established Member
I bet the stock one barely fit i cant imagine adding 2in of depth.....thinking on just putting a fan on the stocker

deepsouthtech

Established Member
FYI for guys that are interested in upgraded HE. Justin has custom AFCO HE's

"a better HE helps a lot when you go smaller than an 82mm. i have some afcos modified with different brackets to fit the 5.0L better"

deepsouthtech

Established Member
Going to go back and cut what is left of the two braces from the top.

IMG_20120929_124745.jpg

IMG_20120929_124719.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread