PC, M58 Piping, Different Muffler...What Are Everyone's Thoughts???

jaan2483

Established Member
I recently bought my first Cobra; a torch red 2004. It came with minor mods, one of which being the FR500 M58 catback exhaust bolted to the stock midpipe. I recently ordered a SS O/R Prochamber and am waiting for it to arrive so I can get under the car and bolt it on. The one video I've found on youtube of the same combination sounds really good to me. The M58 with stock midpipe isn't very loud at all and from all I've read, the Prochamber will make it louder by virtue of not having cats, but will still be more on the quiet side in comparison to other exhaust combos. If down the road I decide I want something with more volume and have a shop cut out the M58 mufflers and have something like Magnacks or Stingers welded in using the M58 piping, how do you think the rear x-pipe would affect the sound?

Quick Strike

Established Member
You would probably do better selling the M58 as they are not made and are sought after as a complete assembly. Then buy the catback of your desire or trade for it.

jaan2483

Established Member
I'm well aware of how rare the M58 set up is and that I could get some pretty decent money for them if I were to sell it as a whole, but I'm curious as to what the rear x-pipe would do to a prochamber + Magnapack, Stinger, Mac, etc combo. As of right now, selling off the table.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Good god, don't hack up that M58 just because you think "louder" equates to some sort of better performance. The removal of the factory mid-pipe will definitely change the sound, but if you just want to annoy your neighbors or anyone else around you, just get that Borla Stinger system. If you really have to find out what the rear "X" will do with different mufflers, find a good shop to make something custom - it has been done before.

I have the M58 behind a Magnaflow X and it sounds awesome. You couldn't pay me to change it out...

FYI: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/exhaust.htm#Ford_Racing_FR-500_cat-back_

GodStang

Established Member
I had a Offroad Prochamber and FR500 catback. Love love loved the sound. Was not obnoxious sounding. The After X I dont think will change the sound too much of other aftermarket mufflers.

What made the FR500 is the dual mode if it is still intact. I know this exhaust system had a huge problem after about 5 years or so the muffler flap would fail to work or break off. The kits now getting over 10 years of age I wonder how many are truly still intact.

Sheriff41

Established Member
They're still out there. I bought an M58 new in the box from a Ford mechanic in VA last Nov for $360. It popped up on Craigslist. Box was a little worse for wear but the M58 was complete with clamps and the the tailpipes were still wrapped in the foam shipping material.

Users who are viewing this thread