Paypal?

Silver03Snake

Established Member
I am having trouble selling stuff without Paypal. I'd like to get money orders. I searched Paypal for a few minutes but most of what I saw was setting up to pay thru Paypal. What do I have to do to set up where I receive payments thru Paypal. Do I have to register? Don't be hard an old man.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I am having trouble selling stuff without Paypal. I'd like to get money orders. I searched Paypal for a few minutes but most of what I saw was setting up to pay thru Paypal. What do I have to do to set up where I receive payments thru Paypal. Do I have to register? Don't be hard an old man.

are you just selling stuff on the forums? If so PayPal or Venmo are gonna be the main options. You have to sing up and provide your banking info so they can send the money.

also just FYI there are plenty of fake money orders going around and honestly as a buyer, Im not going out to get a money order and mail it to you - I'll buy from someone else.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
It sucks that you have to pay a fee but you do get protection in exchange. You will get paid back if defrauded or you have issues with the merch.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've sold numerous items on this site & didn't use PayPal. Maybe I've been lucky or people aren't as F___k'd up as you think.
Pm me for details of how I do business if interested..

PM-Performance

Established Member
Ditto on not wanting to do business with people that don't use paypal. I have taken payments as money orders, cash by mail, western union, walmart money orders, etc and they are all just a hassle.
Paypal or other digital services are pretty instant and there is protection for both parties. I have been using Paypal since its inception. Its honestly pretty hard to beat for convenience.
This day in age it surprises me as to how people have made it this long without Paypal and Ebay accts. lol

Kevins89notch

Established Member
It sucks that you have to pay a fee but you do get protection in exchange. You will get paid back if defrauded or you have issues with the merch.

Plus the fee is known ahead of time. Do the math and determine it ahead of time. If you want $300 in your pocket, you know there's that 2.9% fee or whatever, and shipping will be about $30...ask $350 shipped.

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ditto on not wanting to do business with people that don't use paypal. I have taken payments as money orders, cash by mail, western union, walmart money orders, etc and they are all just a hassle.
Paypal or other digital services are pretty instant and there is protection for both parties. I have been using Paypal since its inception. Its honestly pretty hard to beat for convenience.
This day in age it surprises me as to how people have made it this long without Paypal and Ebay accts. lol
I have a PayPal, Ebay, & Amazon account, I just choose no to sell using PayPal, & there has been no downside for me or the buyer to this point..

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a PayPal, Ebay, & Amazon account, I just choose no to sell using PayPal, & there has been no downside for me or the buyer to this point..

How are you transacting? Also, how have you resolved disputed transactions? What is your ebay user name?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
no PayPal, since I was burnt by unscrupulous buyer ..
USPS Money orders have worked fine .
I never have an issue with buyers or sellers since we communicate with plenty of documentation.
I was burnt sling a set of 99-01 amber tails .
Now I only sell those face to face when I have them !!

mnewxcv

Established Member
I've sold numerous items on this site & didn't use PayPal. Maybe I've been lucky or people aren't as F___k'd up as you think.
Pm me for details of how I do business if interested..
why keep it a secret? Just post what you do in this thread.

That being said, I haven't bought or requested a money order in like 15 years. Paypal works fine 99% of the time. I would be happy to get a money order for someone if that was what they wanted though and the item was rare/cheap enough and worth my time.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
no PayPal, since I was burnt by unscrupulous buyer ..
USPS Money orders have worked fine .
I never have an issue with buyers or sellers since we communicate with plenty of documentation.
I was burnt sling a set of 99-01 amber tails .
Now I only sell those face to face when I have them !!

How were you burnt? PayPal offers protection. You do not think there is risk of a money order vanishing in transit?
Also you do not have recourse with money order.

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
How are you transacting? Also, how have you resolved disputed transactions? What is your ebay user name?
I have had no disputed transactions to date, SVTP members are pretty stand-up people.
I don't sell on Ebay or Amazon, use PayPal for transactions on those sites..

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I tried to buy a nice Marantz turntable off some guy from an audio forum. He wanted me to send the money via Western Union. He refused to use PayPal. He even went as far as to tell me had a PP account, but didn't want to use it for the transaction. For several days I was getting emails from him urging me to send him the money so he could ship it.
No way was I sending $1200 to a complete stranger via Western Union.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I tried to but a nice Marantz turntable off some guy from an audio forum. He wanted me to send the money via Western Union. He refused to use PayPal. He even went as far as to tell me had a PP account, but didn't want to use it for the transaction. For several days I was getting emails from him urging me to send him the money so he could ship it.
No way was I sending $1200 to a complete stranger via Western Union.
I have a Marantz 2270, absolutely gorgeous system.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm lucky because 99% of my Cobra diecast transactions are done through this site using PayPal. Most of the time payments are sent via the friends and family option. There are no fees taken and, yes, there is no protection offered through PayPal. However, I have established an outstanding reputation within SVTP on my product and ethics during the sale/transaction.

My thread provides plenty of pictures and feedback from previous transactions. Also, I "NEVER" ask for any money up front. No deposit or anything. I provide information via PM and post pictures in my thread. So, communication is constant and accurate.

So, people are willing to use PayPal and the friends and family option to send payment. It has worked for me and SVTP members for almost 3 years now. I also insure the shipment incase anything happens it will be the shipping companies responsibility to cover damage or loss during transit.

Now if you don't know the person then yes paying the 3% fee is a good idea as it will protect you should anything happen, but I agree, the majority of SVTP members are trustworthy people.

mnewxcv

Established Member
I'm lucky because 99% of my Cobra diecast transactions are done through this site using PayPal. Most of the time payments are sent via the friends and family option. There are no fees taken and, yes, there is no protection offered through PayPal. However, I have established an outstanding reputation within SVTP on my product and ethics during the sale/transaction.

My thread provides plenty of pictures and feedback from previous transactions. Also, I "NEVER" ask for any money up front. No deposit or anything. I provide information via PM and post pictures in my thread. So, communication is constant and accurate.

So, people are willing to use PayPal and the friends and family option to send payment. It has worked for me and SVTP members for almost 3 years now. I also insure the shipment incase anything happens it will be the shipping companies responsibility to cover damage or loss during transit.

Now if you don't know the person then yes paying the 3% fee is a good idea as it will protect you should anything happen, but I agree, the majority of SVTP members are trustworthy people.
As a lot of computer hobby/electronics forums use, Heatware.com is popular for tracking feedback on forums.

Users who are viewing this thread