Paying Duty at Border Crossing?

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
I am buying a set of used rims and tires and wanted to know what the best way would be to not pay duty and taxes. Buying from the US and bringing into canada.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Pick 'em up at a location in Washington State.......throw 'em in your trunk and drive home??;)

I sent a Mustang bumper cover to a Canadian who picked it up from Greyhound in Michigan........worked great!!:D

Black_Chrome

Established Member
Lying is a great way of getting flagged in the system for life if caught.
Not to mention not being able to drive across the boarder anymore without confronting a power hungry man alone in a room with a rubber glove on. He's not going to ask you to cough either...

If you stay less than 24 hours you can claim $200 (CAD) worth of goods duty/tax free. More than 48 hours you can claim $800 (CAD) worth.
Pay a couple of bucks in taxes/duty or risk a big fine and having your stuff taken away; your choice.
Also I recommend smaller boarder crossings compared to the larger ones. The guards tend to be more easy going.

Or hypothetically drive on a set of rollers, swap them out, ditch the rollers.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Lying is a great way of getting flagged in the system for life if caught.
Not to mention not being able to drive across the boarder anymore without confronting a power hungry man alone in a room with a rubber glove on. He's not going to ask you to cough either...

If you stay less than 24 hours you can claim $200 (CAD) worth of goods duty/tax free. More than 48 hours you can claim $800 (CAD) worth.
Pay a couple of bucks in taxes/duty or risk a big fine and having your stuff taken away; your choice.
Also I recommend smaller boarder crossings compared to the larger ones. The guards tend to be more easy going.

Or hypothetically drive on a set of rollers, swap them out, ditch the rollers.

Talking about illegal, littering is a crime and can cost 10k plus depending on the state/county.

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
What if I say I bought wheels for $400 and make up a reciept with the private owner and say I paid cash. Not sure if they will buy it tho. Because I think they need proof I actually bought the wheels.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
What if I say I bought wheels for $400 and make up a reciept with the private owner and say I paid cash. Not sure if they will buy it tho. Because I think they need proof I actually bought the wheels.

A receipt signed and dated for under $200 would be my suggestion.

Also consider if they don’t believe you...you may have to show current banking history. So taking small withdrawals here and there for about a month prior. Then an e transfer to seller for $200 would also be something to consider

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black_Chrome

Established Member
Talking about illegal, littering is a crime and can cost 10k plus depending on the state/county.

I never condoned littering. Maybe sell the old rims or give them away on the other side.

As far as a signed invoice for the used rims would be a good idea, though proving what you paid vs what the officer deems what they are "worth" could be where you run into trouble. It all depends how the guard is feeling that day. You could also call in advance the boarder crossing you plan on going though and ask how they would like to see this handled. Just ensure you catch the persons name that you are talking to so that you can reference back "I was talking to officer [blank] on this date/time with regards to this issue". That would be my suggestion.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Why is this such a BIG DEAL......"the officer" can arbitrarily put a price on wheels??:confused:

I sent a box of 2014 Mustang parts to a guy in Ontario....he paid $50.00 for them (shipping costs only) and Customs was gonna charge him $250.00 in Duty and Taxes......CRAZY!!:eek: I had to fill out a form and declare the parts had "NO COMMERCIAL VALUE" so that he could pick the stuff up without paying your Government's additional charges....SHEESH.........pretty damn sad state of affairs up yonder!! :(

FJohnny

Established Member
If you lie about it and get caught it will be less than fun. Why do it? A few bucks and still be able to sleep well at night without guilt keeping you awake...sounds like a good deal. But, if you must;

Assume that the border guy will call the person/business you bought them from. Despite them assuring you that they will back your "I bought these $5K wheels and tires for a hundy" claim, you can bet that when the penalties for them lying are pointed out they will almost surely cough up the real story.

Assume that the border guy knows exactly how much they are worth. After all, they do this every day. It won't be the first time someone has tried to undervalue goods.

Good luck, sounds like quite the caper.

Users who are viewing this thread