pay cash vs finance 2022

IA Shelby

Established Member
SVTP

For the past several years it seems like annually a thread pops up discussing whether to pay cash for a vehicle or finance it.

This usually ends up in a debate with the finance experts calling the cash buyers shortsighted. They always claim they can invest their money and generate higher returns than what they pay in interest.

Curious if that opinion still holds. Inflation is currently eating into the value of what a dollar will buy. Interest rates are rising quickly and the market returns have been poor.

What do the financial experts say now?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
SVTP

For the past several years it seems like annually a thread pops up discussing whether to pay cash for a vehicle or finance it.

This usually ends up in a debate with the finance experts calling the cash buyers shortsighted. They always claim they can invest their money and generate higher returns than what they pay in interest.

Curious if that opinion still holds. Inflation is currently eating into the value of what a dollar will buy. Interest rates are rising quickly and the market returns have been poor.

Im no financial expert, but I prefer to use OPM and put my cash to work for me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP

401k loan and pay yourself back the interest over a short term like 2 or 3 years ( I doubt markets recover by then and show + gains vs December 2021).

But im a long way away from a financial expert, so ignore me.

rborden

Established Member
Cash is King.

With the volatility of the economy and the unknowns of what this moronic administration and the Head Clown will do, I’d personally prefer to pay cash. That way it’s mine. No one can take it if I lose my job or run into hardships.

That’s just my two cents for what that’s worth.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cash is King.

With the volatility of the economy and the unknowns of what this moronic administration and the Head Clown will do, I’d personally prefer to pay cash. That way it’s mine. No one can take it if I lose my job or run into hardships.

Flip side... if things get real bad, wouldn't you rather let someone take them and still have all of your cash?

Tezz500

Established Member
Cash is King.

But if you have the cash, you could always pay for it if things get funky...

Tezz500

Established Member
Honestly Cash is a terrible investment. It doesnt produce anything and only EVER goes down in value....

Again, No financial expert here... Just an Ape trying to get to the moon.

rborden

Established Member
Flip side... if things get real bad, wouldn't you rather let someone take them and still have all of your cash?
Nope. My emergency fund is separate from my liquid cash. So I’d still have the car and the cash.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I'm definitely not an expert either, but to flip it again, if things got really bad he could sell the vehicle if he owned it. He would be out the vehicle in either scenario. Buying outright he also avoids interest.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm definitely not an expert either, but to flip it again, if things got really bad he could sell the vehicle if he owned it. He would be out the vehicle in either scenario. Buying outright he also avoids interest.

If it gets really bad...who's buying his vehicle? Except for pennies on the dollar.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
If it gets really bad...who's buying his vehicle? Except for pennies on the dollar.
Very true, but if it gets crazy bad, money may not be worth much either. Still more than a toy car though I suppose.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
These days the value of cars is stronger than money. I also forgot, if he owns and sells he doesn't wreck his credit. Again, not an expert..

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I'm in the camp of paying cash if you have an emergency fund saved. If something happens that you need $, just sell it or get a loan on it. Besides... some on this board claim auto prices are never coming back down :ROFLMAO:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm in the camp of paying cash if you have an emergency fund saved. If something happens that you need $, just sell it or get a loan on it. Besides... some on this board claim auto prices are never coming back down :ROFLMAO:

I don't think anyone is claiming that.

Users who are viewing this thread