Paxton Blower. Surging Under Light Throttle

tgranber

Established Member
Having a bitch of a time figuring out this surging. It happens anytime I am slowly climbing in a higher gear.

I have a 2011 Mustang A6 with the Paxton setup.

1 possible scenario: Turning a corner at 20-30ish and the car is probably in 3rd or 4th. I slowly accelerate up to speed and the car will rev slightly up and down as if I was fluttering the gas pedal all the way through each gear.

Worth noting that WOT is smooth as silk.

Troubleshooting: Replaced the stock BOV with the race ready BOV, replaced plugs, 2 different tuners, smoke tested for leaks.

Car has run a best of 11.4@126. Lund says I have a phantom knocking which slows me down but I don't think that helps anything here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I had a similar issue, with the procharger setup, I too replaced the procharger BOV with a larger aftermarket one which didn't fix the issue. Bob from the tuning school had a similar issue with a magnuson snuffulupagas blower on their test mustang and was able to help me out with the fix. Your tuners should be able to get you fixed up, if not a new tuner might be in order.

tgranber

Established Member
Thank you both for that information. I doubt I’m going to be able to drill a hole in the side of my intercooler and weld a flange for my MAF . I will probably just inform my tuner of the issues and see if they can tune it out. It’s Lund. I’m happy to see that it’s known that this is an issue though. I’m not going crazy.

I have a local tuner available to me also. Do you think I would get better results from somebody local with a Dyno?

MG0h3

Established Member
First thing I would do is datalog your AFR. A tuner left my car lean at cruise on a turbo car way back. Annoying as hell. I had to either be slightly accelerating or decelerating at all times.

Sizeth3

Established Member
I just had an experience with surging that turned out to be a boost leak. It was likely a vacuum leak at idle and part throttle, so that might be worth looking into.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Have the same issue on my Procharged 14 MT82. Will hesitate at 1/4 throttle then soon as it finds any boost it smoothens out. Maf is mounted on the stg 2 spot of the intercooler. I do have some false knock issues but from the logs it doesn't seem like it's happening at the times it stutters. Also it doesn't happen when the car is warming up <120 degrees. Only after giving it 1/4 throttle and it almost breaks up till it gets over 3k. Goes from jaggy line to smooth in the log.

Users who are viewing this thread