Paxton "Beefcake" Special Install!

Chris01Bullitt

Established Member
Finally pulled the trigger on the Paxton 2200 for the 5.0! Specs on the set up and goals:

Paxton 2200 w/ 3.8 Pulley
ID 1000's
Vortec Maxflow BAP
Brisk Spark Plugs
T-Bolts
Boss Intake Mani Adaptor
Lund Racing Tune

Shooting for street-ability/reliability 600+rwhp/low 11's

Me and a few buddies are knocking this out in my garage. So far we have the paxton and intercooler mounted along with coolant hoses and fan modified. Next up is the piping, modifying the front bumper, making sure everything is set up properly and then the remote tune!

So far the coolant hoses and fan were easy. The bracket with all the pulleys and spacers was a PITA! Hopefully the rest of it goes smooth, if anyone has any tips to make this go smoother, chime in! :beer:

Here are some pics so far!

IMG_3079_zps1c486e6c.jpg

IMG_3080_zpseb0eb298.jpg

IMG_3081_zps55da899d.jpg

IMG_3082_zps8255fb81.jpg

IMG_3084_zpsff7875d7.jpg

Finally, the helper!

IMG_3086_zps81085333.jpg

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
I'm wrapping up my vortech JT install right now. Get ready to be frustrated with the fitment of all the duct work. Nothing seemed to fit like it should. If you would have left the coolant hose off until after you have the bracket on it is much easier.
I had to slot the upper radiator mounts to move the radiator forward, otherwise nothing would fit. I have the 8 rib so that may be why?
The throttle body is not oriented the way it is shown in the instructions, it ends up with the motor/connector facing down.
I'm still confused on the driver side lower coolant hose, the directions have you flip it around end for end which I agree you need to do otherwise the pipe from the intercooler cant fit. But once it is flipped around the intake that runs to the grille for the CIA doesn't fit. It's a shitty design.
Overall I'm not too impressed with the kit so far, hopefully that changes once I get it out on the road.

Another thing too, let me know if you figure out how to insert and tighten the 2nd from right head unit mounting bolt. I couldn't get it on mine

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I'm wrapping up my vortech JT install right now. Get ready to be frustrated with the fitment of all the duct work. Nothing seemed to fit like it should. If you would have left the coolant hose off until after you have the bracket on it is much easier.
I had to slot the upper radiator mounts to move the radiator forward, otherwise nothing would fit. I have the 8 rib so that may be why?The throttle body is not oriented the way it is shown in the instructions, it ends up with the motor/connector facing down.
I'm still confused on the driver side lower coolant hose, the directions have you flip it around end for end which I agree you need to do otherwise the pipe from the intercooler cant fit. But once it is flipped around the intake that runs to the grille for the CIA doesn't fit. It's a shitty design.Overall I'm not too impressed with the kit so far, hopefully that changes once I get it out on the road.

Another thing too, let me know if you figure out how to insert and tighten the 2nd from right head unit mounting bolt. I couldn't get it on mine

I never had to slot the radiator mounts to fit anything, everything was snug but fit perfectly. Also the lower radiator hose once flipped over fit perfectly for mine. Only thing was I had to modify was the JLT CAI heat shield which without cutting will touch the radiator hose.

13 GT/CS

Established Member
I had to slot the upper radiator mounts to move the radiator forward, otherwise nothing would fit. I have the 8 rib so that may be why?
The throttle body is not oriented the way it is shown in the instructions, it ends up with the motor/connector facing down.
I'm still confused on the driver side lower coolant hose, the directions have you flip it around end for end which I agree you need to do otherwise the pipe from the intercooler cant fit. But once it is flipped around the intake that runs to the grille for the CIA doesn't fit. It's a shitty design.
Overall I'm not too impressed with the kit so far, hopefully that changes once I get it out on the road.

Really really really hope I don't have all of these problems with my kit. Its been two weeks now btw and still haven't gotten it. If I had read this or knew it was going to take this long before buying I might have thought about my decision again

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Really really really hope I don't have all of these problems with my kit. Its been two weeks now btw and still haven't gotten it. If I had read this or knew it was going to take this long before buying I might have thought about my decision again

You are really over thinking it, the install is not hard at all.

Chris01Bullitt

Established Member
It's not too bad, the only thing that really pissed me off was the pulleys, bracket and all the spacers which was supposed to come pre-assembled. I'll let you know how the rest goes.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
I will say I am probably pickier about quality / fit / appearance than most people having worked in the quality field for so long.
I'm sure you'll like it.

Deerslayer

Established Member
Tron, Are you bolting up all the tubing before it is all in place? If you fit everything together un-clamped, it fits pretty good. We used the T-Bolts, so it was easy to clamp them tight after we had everything fit how we wanted. Surprised you are having to move the radiator forward even with an 8rib?
13 GT/CS, it is not overly difficult. Some things take time but it is straight forward. Like Blazer said, check out the long thread on S197 and you can pick up some better views for the install. Two weeks+ is about what it takes to get everything in. I think it depends on where Vortech is on production to how long it takes to get your unit. We are about as anal as you can get, so my son and I took our time and detailed as we went and still got it done on the weekend with ease. I think two big additions to the V3 setup is: JPC aluminum tank & Tial BOV.

4VFTW

Established Member
the hacking up coolant hoses and tranny lines plus bending a/c lines and the horrid placement and quality of the expansion tank is keeping me from going with the Paxton.

Chris01Bullitt

Established Member
the hacking up coolant hoses and tranny lines plus bending a/c lines and the horrid placement and quality of the expansion tank is keeping me from going with the Paxton.

The coolant hoses and a/c lines were cake. I didn't like the idea at first but it went smooth. As far as the coolant tank goes, I think I'm going to get the JPC tant just for extra insurance.

JpL4K3

Established Member
The coolant hoses and a/c lines were cake. I didn't like the idea at first but it went smooth. As far as the coolant tank goes, I think I'm going to get the JPC tant just for extra insurance.

Hey Chris I have an extra canton expansion tank for the vortech/paxton kits if you want to make an offer. Brand new never used.

It probably wont go with the black theme you got going on under the hood.

Last edited:

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Tron, Are you bolting up all the tubing before it is all in place? If you fit everything together un-clamped, it fits pretty good. We used the T-Bolts, so it was easy to clamp them tight after we had everything fit how we wanted. Surprised you are having to move the radiator forward even with an 8rib?
13 GT/CS, it is not overly difficult. Some things take time but it is straight forward. Like Blazer said, check out the long thread on S197 and you can pick up some better views for the install. Two weeks+ is about what it takes to get everything in. I think it depends on where Vortech is on production to how long it takes to get your unit. We are about as anal as you can get, so my son and I took our time and detailed as we went and still got it done on the weekend with ease. I think two big additions to the V3 setup is: JPC aluminum tank & Tial BOV.

Did anyone here install the JT head unit with the 8 rib setup?
I think the combo of those is what leads to the fitment issues. The 8 rib makes everything stick out an extra .28" plus the blower outlet on the JT is a larger diameter than the self contained head units.

I had to trim extra parts of the fan housing to allow the CIA inlet tube to fit. Had to trim parts of the radiator cover to get it to fit since the CAI inlet tube sticks out further.

It would be nice if Vortech/Paxton inserted the extra steps in their instructions for people that ordered the larger units. Or maybe my car is just f'ed up?

Users who are viewing this thread