paxton 2200sl

96lasersvt

Established Member
Im looking at a couple different kits for my 13 and was wondering how much power this blower was capable of. I know the max rpm on it is 53k but most people overspin them. How far can this unit go before it is inefficient? Motor will be built but not sleeved and i will have a full fuel system on e85. I would like 800whp, can this do that without upgrading to the oil fed blowers?

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
the 2200 SL will spin 900+ and a few have made 1XXX.

HOWEVER....

I had a paxton, with the wastegate option as well (you'll want this!!)....

and now i have a turbo. To make 800 and stay relatively efficient, you'll need longtubes, and the 8 rib set up. Do the math for the big picture. if you're building the motor, go turbo. Theres no reason not to. you'll make the power with less boost, and less stress on the motor. AND you'll make torque too...

I was in your boat too. i added the cost of keeping my paxton, buying long tubes, 8 rib conversion, etc etc, and it was like 300$ difference from the EDP turbo kit I have now. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

do some searches on here. Multiple guys like myself have spent money on the paxton/roush route, then decided we actually wanted to go fast/win races, and swapped to turbo. full power @4000RPM's vs 7000....

Last edited:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Its possible we've built plenty of 800+ rwhp paxton cars.

I'll tell you though that an 800hp turbo car vs a 800hp paxton car, the turbo car is going to be way out in front.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Its possible we've built plenty of 800+ rwhp paxton cars.

I'll tell you though that an 800hp turbo car vs a 800hp paxton car, the turbo car is going to be way out in front.

This!!

Turbo car has a much stronger powerband. A centri will really just peak real quick. Where a turbo car is holding it's peak or close to power for a long time.

Turbo > centri

96lasersvt

Established Member
I would love to have a turbo kit but they are out of my price range. At least with the paxton i could upgrade it over time. I have headers and full exhaust already. I guess i could save longer but im tired of waiting lol. Took forever for me to get the motor together.

Famine

Established Member
The turbo setup I want is around 11k, vs the 6k or maybe 7 for the centri. I already have the longtubes and what not so for me there is a big disparity. I would like to go turbo however.

SCalla1384

Established Member
You have good choices of a single turbo kit for $7k. I'm assuming for $11k you want the armegeddon TT kit? Have to think, all that money, will you ever fully utilize the power capabilities of that kit?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If I could do it all over again I'd probably go On3. Mainly because im a cheap ass. Same price all in as a nice Paxton set up and great potential, quicker spool and much more control over boost.

Just understand with On3 the only way you can keep the kit cost effective is if you can fab/correct the shittyness of the kit yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it stay away.

EDP would be my next choice and ONLY because it is more expensive. EDP would be my first choice if it was a no expense spared build--or JPC.

Then again, the Paxton really is hard to beat given the price. If you absolutely do NOT want to go over $5500-6k ALL IN including fuel and a tune, then stop looking around and buy a Paxton. One dollar over that amount and you have other (better) options.

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
Add a 75-100 shot of juice to spray from 3k to 6k RPM if you won't like the powerband of paxton with 800hp, that way you will make tons of TQ starting at 3k RPM. However you will have to refill the bottle which is an added cost.
If i did it all over again i would love to have a TT kit, it looks killer. So, if i ever get a built engine and if i will have funds to swap to a different system i will probably go with a TT kit but will have to research how reliable they are especially turbos and manifolds. Or i will do what i suggested have 3.33 pulley and add juice to spray in low rpm for TQ, probably won't even need a 100 shot since potential on juice multiplies with boost.

Another thing is IMHO, from my previous aftermarket turbo car experience, with a turbo car (unless it's factory) you will always have to tinker something especially if its a DD, with a supercharger you install and other than changing oil in it you will have 0 maintenance.

Last edited:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I would say I don't agree with that statement.

A properly put together turbo kit with quality components should be as reliable as an OEM system. That's the reason our kit is $6799 and not 3k.

Yes, you do need to buy injectors and a BAP. We do offer specials on them when you bundle them into the turbo kit.

CPRsm

im just curious in a wastegated paxton setup vs a turbo setup with the same hp and all else equal why would the turbo win?
If the power to the tire was the same, it should be the same.
But if the HP to the tires was the same, a blower still comes in low in torque overall, and power comes in later as well. So the question will always be a hypothetical one. This is the reality of it though

This is the same car, Dyno, tuner, and boost setting. Our kit vs a waste gated Paxton. This one has a larger turbine in an attempt to keep traction @ 1000rwhp. But still comes in sooner. The overlay on this Paxton setup without the wastegate was much worse

turbovstorquebooster_zps6d21706d.png

Users who are viewing this thread