Paxton 2200SL Pump Gas to E-85!

Nocturnal5.0

Captain Go-Fast
Established Member
Finally got the time to post up about this, and to dig through my phone for the pictures. The car started out this January as a pump gas AED tuned Paxton car turning out 640/512 SAE hp/tq to the tire; fast forward eight months and I've finally put together the funds to get it tuned on E85, and I couldn't be happier with the results!

The only changes I made were ID1000's, a JMS BAP, 3.48" pulley and a new AED tune; now on to the pictures and results!

IMAG0192_zps3e79a7bb.jpg

According to the fine folks over at JMS Chips, I was actually one of the first customers to order their new plug-and-play BAP unit, and I could not have been more impressed with the quality! You literally plug this in and go, there is no modification of the stock wiring harness for the fuel pump relay. The only wiring you have to do is grounding the BAP wires to the hobbs switch and then grounding the other pole of the switch to the body in the engine bay; it's that easy.

IMAG0194_zps3d188355.jpg

The only thing I didn't want to do is use the provided self tapping screws to secure the BAP unit to the body of the car, so I looked around in the spare tire area and came up with a solution. I ran down to the local hardware store and picked up a 24" x 6" piece of thin steel plate to make a custom bracket out of. This was the finished piece before painting.

IMAG0196_zpsb9139824.jpg

Not a very good picture showing the mounting location, but it sits on the studs used to secure the fuel pump relay and, what I assume is the control module for the sequential tail lights, to the body. All I needed to do was secure the plate to the body using the mounting hardware already in the car from the factory, no modification to the body required!

IMAG0197_zps36ba5d9d.jpg

Next up was a test mount and fitting of the BAP to the plate and then the plate into the car. Everything lined up great, so I went on to clean and paint the plate and get it ready for the true install.

IMAG0200_zps6aff46a2.jpg

Painted and ready for the BAP to be attached.

IMAG0202_zps9b42e065.jpg

BAP attached.

IMAG0201_zps068c6679.jpg

After the initial test fit, I noticed that the plate would probably vibrate a bit when the car was running. To prevent that, I went to cheap route and cut some of the bubble wrap that came with the BAP packaging to the correct size, and secured it to the back of the plate using double sided tape.

IMAG0205_zpsb2fd3581.jpg

IMAG0206_zps8c94199d.jpg

And finally, the finished product installed in the car. At this point, I ran the other power wires to the hobbs switch in the engine bay, and got them wired up and tested the ground to ensure it was good. Because I had to drive the car to Denver for the tune, I left the BAP unplugged for the drive.

Upon arrival at the dyno, me and my friend swapped the injectors, changed the pulley and plugged in the BAP, all in the span of about 15 minutes. Having the BAP already hooked up to everything but the stock harness connector made this a breeze.

IMAG0217_zps4c587378.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any video of the dyno passes, as my friend and I had other things to attend to that day while the car was being tuned.

After leaving my car in the capable hands of Rob at RWR and the remote tuning of Shaun at AED, I came back to see this:

IMAG0219_zpse4e09569.jpg

IMAG0218_zps57169c3e.jpg

The three number groupings on the screen are the stock numbers (386/369), the pump 91 tune that I had previously (640/512), and the E85 tune (776/594).

Needless to say, I was beside myself when I heard the numbers, I wasn't expecting so much of a gain! I can't thank Rob and Shaun enough for the time they spent on my car and the power they made out of it!

kingnut

Established Member
Holy shit! Anyone know what the actual octane rating of E85 is? Everywhere I read its something different.

hopony

Established Member
Really like your bap install. Are you running stock motor with that? Also how much of that gain is from e85? Looks like the pulley added 4 pounds of boost. Awesome numbers !

phils04gt

Established Member
Those are some big numbers. I am so tempted to switch to E85 but I do not want the motor to go "pop".

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member

Nocturnal5.0

Captain Go-Fast
Established Member
Holy shit! Anyone know what the actual octane rating of E85 is? Everywhere I read its something different.

Somewhere around 105 - 106.

Also I love the PNP bap.

Me too, I hate cutting up my car for part installation lol.

Really like your bap install. Are you running stock motor with that? Also how much of that gain is from e85? Looks like the pulley added 4 pounds of boost. Awesome numbers !

Thanks! Yeah I'm running the stock motor still. I'm not sure on how much power was gain specifically from the E85, but it allows me to run more timing and boost alot more safely and on the cheap versus race gas, and as for the boost, it's actually only seeing 10.1 lbs up here, we forgot to clear one of the map overlays from the graph when we printed the sheet; the 11 lb. run you see on there was when the dyno wasn't loaded correctly and it spun it out too quickly.

Uncorrected numbers please! I have the same setup :)

620 wheel, uncorrected, possibly slightly more now that I've gone down about 1000 feet in elevation.

Big numbers how did that subaru wrx pull on u....

My car is a full weight edged brick lol. Loaded premium plus around 75 lbs of blower in it, I haven't weighed it yet, but it should be around 3750 without me in it and a half tank of fuel. That STi weighs in at around 3300 and was gutted for the race against the coyote.

Stock motor? Clutch?

Yup, still stock motor and clutch.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
yea the power you pick up with just different fuel will blow your mind. i was expecting like 650-680 on e-85 and the first pull made 690 lol. you will love it.

Users who are viewing this thread