Paul (svtguy)

Cobra-R

Established Member
Paul,
Do you have a part number and a link to where you got your harness for the R? If I remember right, you have a Simpsons harness?

Thanks Brian

ps. anyone else with info, I would appreciate if you could share it also.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Are you thinking of putting a harness in your R with out a rollbar? If you are, please reconsider. This has been a hot topic on several other boards that I frequent. Without a roll bar, it is very possible for the roof to collapse during a roll over. If a harness has you strapped into your seat so you can not move, what happens to your head and neck when the roof comes down? Not a pretty thought.

Something to think about.

Cobra-R

Established Member
That link gets you to the home page. From there click on "safety" then scroll down a little and click on "STREET LEGAL HARNESSBELTS & ACCESSORIES" The one I am intersested in is the Rally 3. It is the top belt. So, What do you think?

Brian

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
I like it but I'm not sure if it solves the problem.

I'm trying to remember what was said in the harness thread. Is the bad thing about a full harness that it will not allow your body to go down in the seat or is it that it will not allow you to go sideways to miss the roof?

If it is the sideways thing then I don't see how this harness is any better but if it's the other, then I could see how this system could be a lot better and safer than the standard belts.

I'll have to find that thread.

kevin

brian, what's stopping ya from putting a roll cage in.

deans right about the harness holding you in, in a rollover and letting the roof crush ya.

i too will take a look at this harness you're talking about.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
brian, what's stopping ya from putting a roll cage in.

deans right about the harness holding you in, in a rollover and letting the roof crush ya.

i too will take a look at this harness you're talking about.

Kevin,

I really don't know the first thing about roll bars, and really don't want to hack up the inside of my car to install one. Is there options out there that I am unaware of? I was kinda figuring on looking at some of bars at RA.

I must be mistaken, I read some of what I believe dean is referring to about roll over exposure with a harness and no roll bar. My take on it (obvously wrong) was that with a 5 point harness you would be unable to slide down into the seat if you had a roll over because of the crotch strap. My thinking was without the crotch strap you would be exposed about the same as you would with the original belts.

Thanks for the help, Brian

kevin

first, not a bad idea to look at some of the stuff done by others, at ra.

you can get a full cage w/o hacking up the interior.

even if you use something w/o the crotch strap and tighten in properly, you should be so strapped in that you should't submarine anyway.

if the impact from a crushing roof moves you down the seat (no crotch belt) what do you think happens to your head and neck? odds are they'll get compressed by taking the impact of the rollover when the roof comes in on ya (i think this would be the good case). the other possibility, is that the belts do their job (if adjusted correctly) and hold you in the seat. the seat back most likely will not hold up the roof (nor will your spine).

you're probably better off using the stock seat belt. at least this would allow your body to move sideways and down in case of a rollover (the downside is - it may not hold you in your seat at all).

just look'n out for ya buddy.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Where did you get your roll bar, Kevin? Is it a custom made unit or off the shelf?

Brian

Last edited:

kevin

it was custom made by kenny bumbera in houston. you'll see it in a couple weeks. i know anoter guy in vegas that i'd trust to do great job w/o hacking up the insides.

svtguy

Established Member
Brian, yes they are simpson harness I put in my car. I don't know the exact part number, but I will find out and get it to you. I know about the no roll bar with harness topic. What I like about having the belts is being secure in the seat. No "sliding" around. More comfortable and easier to drive that way. That is just MY opinion though.

Paul

Cobra-R

Established Member
Thanks Paul,
I was just wondering which would be safer, the harness that would be better protection for most crashes, or the stock belts which would be better for a roll over? I don't know..

kevin

brian,

it's a tough call - slide or not to slide.

paul's right about the sliding around.

my thot is if your butts sliding a round your less apt to go fast enough to get into real trouble. of course most rollovers are caused by the tire catching an "edge" somewhere. if you go off road for any reason you increase this risk quite a bit. hence my choice for stock belt (absent a roll bar/cage).

like this discussion is showing - lots of thot's based on different experiences.

i think the bottom line is you need to do what you're comfortable with (till ya get the roll bar/cage installed, another topic w/lots of +/-'s)

svtguy

Established Member
Brian, Simpson part number 29102, black in color. Other colors are available. How about Pink, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Baby Blue? Any of these would look good against a black interior. LOL. I got mine from Summit Racing Equiptment. www.summitracing.com

Paul.

kevin

Originally posted by svtguy
Brian, Simpson part number 29102, black in color. Other colors are available. How about Pink, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Baby Blue? Any of these would look good against a black interior. LOL. I got mine from Summit Racing Equiptment. www.summitracing.com

Paul.

WOW, i think brian should go with the baby blue

no, maybe the PINK.

no, I know - one pink and one baby blue (one left and one right):D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread