PATS Bypass

Kornfed01

Established Member
Can someone please PM me on how to go about disabling the PATS in my 01 cobra. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to remove it from the equation of what already looks like it's gonna be a timely wiring harness problem. The car has other electrical things that need addressed but the theft light flashes like crazy when key is turned to on and no power to fuel pump and motor won't crank so that tells me it's been activated. I would rather just get rid of it all together so it doesn't ever give me problems again. Ive heard a lot of horor stories. Thanks

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
It can only be turned off in a tune. You'd need the software, not just the hand held.

Kornfed01

Established Member
It can only be turned off in a tune. You'd need the software, not just the hand held.

Yea that's what I've been seeing on all the forum threads. I just diagnosed it yesterday and found a thread on flash codes. Mine is telling me that my key and the PATS module aren't communicating so it looks like I'll be taking a trip to the stealership to get new keys and a pats reflash

01yellercobra

Established Member
then how come I could start my old 99 Cobra with a car alarm that car toys stuck in? Someone has to know more about this
But yes I have heard the x4 sct tuner
The aftermarket alarm has nothing to do with the PATS. As long as you have the correct key it'll start. My 01 had a system that required an extra fob to start. It was separate from the key.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I just had my 1999 V8 Ranger PATS disabled through a custom tune and a SCT X4. The tune disables the specific Key/PATS code matching but does not completely disable the PATS system. A chipped key must still be used but is does not need to be the correct coded key. A non chipped key will not start the vehicle. If you want to use a non chipped key then a chipped key must be permanently attached near the ignition switch inside the steering column.

Last edited:

Kornfed01

Established Member
I just had my 1999 V8 Ranger PATS disabled through a custom tune and a SCT X4. The tune disables the specific Key/PATS code matching but does not completely disable the PATS system. A chipped key must still be used but is does not need to be the correct coded key. A non chipped key will not start the vehicle. If you want to use a non chipped key then a chipped key must be permanently attached near the ignition switch inside the steering column.

Yea I was wondering how the tuner disabled the PATS. I diagnosed my car the other night. When I turn the key to one the THEFT flashes like crazy which tells me PATS is active then I wait about a minute and it goes out. Then it does it's flash code. Mine is 1 pause then 5 which tells me that the PATS module isn't recognizing my key. It's the only key I have to I'm gonna have to haul my car to the stealership and have them flash my PATS with 2 new keys.....

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yea I was wondering how the tuner disabled the PATS. I diagnosed my car the other night. When I turn the key to one the THEFT flashes like crazy which tells me PATS is active then I wait about a minute and it goes out. Then it does it's flash code. Mine is 1 pause then 5 which tells me that the PATS module isn't recognizing my key. It's the only key I have to I'm gonna have to haul my car to the stealership and have them flash my PATS with 2 new keys.....

There's a value in the software itself. Unchecking it turns off the PATS.

mustangmike6996

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra ECM that has PATS disabled and a 01 ECM that I will be doing a PATS delete on (for a 1951 Ford F1 truck with a C-head 4.6)

As far as I have researched, it was a tune or chip only for the delete.

01yellercobra

Established Member
still makes no sense to me that a car alarm can start the car with a Pats system without a key

Are you talking about a remote starting set up or using the key? If it's a remote set up they probably programmed a key and stuck it inside the car somewhere. I know guys do that on Expeditions. If it's with the key I don't see what's so hard to understand. The PATS is a completely separate system from your aftermarket alarm. The only thing the PATS needs is the correct key. The aftermarket alarm is not tied into the PATS in any way, shape, or form.

Kornfed01

Established Member
Well I ended up getting two new keys cut and a buddy of mine did a reflash. Everything seems to be good now. Hopefully it stays that way and I don't have to revisit this situation again.

Users who are viewing this thread