Passing emissions with longtubes

07s197gt

Established Member
Hey guys I'm new here. I got my first mustang a few months ago and now I have the mod bug. I have my eye on some longtubes with high flow cats. I plan on going with Kooks. After doing some research I saw that some people have been having issues passing emissions with them. I live in PA and we have emissions testing here. Can someone who has longtubes please tell me how they were able to pass emissions? After doing some research I have found these options and came across these questions?

1. Buy a handheld bama tuner (which I already am going to buy regardless of longtubes) and have them write me a custom tune for my longtubes. However these tunes typically turn off the rear 02's which would then cause me to fail emissions correct?

2. Have an emissions tune on my bama tuner that turns on the rear o2's and drive 50-75 miles to complete the "drive cycles" the car has to go through. My question is if I turn on the rear 02's wouldn't that cause a check engine light to come on thus making me fail emissions? Also, can they write me a tune that matches whatever tune they give me for my longtubes but not turn off the rear 02's?

3. This is what I was hoping multiple people could confirm for me. I was thinking about buying two sets of these because I heard one set isn't enough (02 sensor riser non fouler). http://www.brenspeed.com/730-2442.html
Would I be able to have my rear o2's on while using these and not get any codes and pass emissions testing? Will the car run fine while using these and having the rear o2 sensors on? Also correct me if I am wrong, but our front o2's are the one's that actually matter when it comes to how the car runs, and the rear o2's just indicate that the catalytic system is just on and ready? I appreciate any answers!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Did Kooks LT's & their catted X pipe on my 11, it threw codes so the tuner turned the 02's off.
I was due for inspection, ( N.J. ) in July 2014, had Kooks " green " catted X pipe installed in June & had no issues passing. ( my 02's were turned back on )
I think the Kooks site states they are 49 state legal.
N.J. plugs into the computer to verify everything is enabled.

Last edited:

Kooks Headers

Established Member
Our GREEN cats are EPA certified and have a terrific track record of allowing the rear O2 sensors to remain on with most applications. Kooks long tubes and GREEN cats should be able to pass emissions in most all areas.

07s197gt

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I saw the Kooks green cats however I also saw some people on these forums still getting CEL's even with them on. Also they are a little bit too expensive for me as the midpipe costs more than the actual longtubes. I was really hoping someone could chime in on the o2 sensor riser non fouler trick.

Joeski

Established Member
You can do the o2 sensor trick too. Im sure youll have no problem where your at. Emissions isnt strict like it is here in Cali. Make sure you get them hot too. While your driving over to the testing area get on it a couple times. The cats function better when theyre hot.

07s197gt

Established Member
Thanks for the advice about getting the cats warmed up. i didn't know they worked like that. I also found out that American Racing claims they have 49 state legal cats on their standard midpipes so I think I'm gonna get their Headers with the catted H. I'm going to call and ask them about it first. I'd like to get the Kooks green catted setup but it's just a bit too pricey for me right now. I'll probably try the non fouler trick if I get a CEL with that set up.

massmustang

Established Member
I have Kooks LTs with hi-flow cats and my Bama tune was able to clear the CEL. I'm midway swapping out my engine (5.3 stroker) and will have to get a dyno tune, but the guy in NH that everyone raves about in MA/NH say he can work wonders with tunes and passing emissions. They definitely take some driving time and engine cycles for all the sensors to get into a "ready state" though.

I love my Kooks by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread